Search this Thread

Old 4/22/15, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire recommendation

Anyone recommend a brand of tires for 2010 gt with 19's
Old 4/22/15, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

Cooper RS3 or 3A Have the all season on mine and they are great for the money. Wearing very well and great in the dry and wet.
Old 4/22/15, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some tire advice from someone who has owned a few sports cars and learned a few things over the years. Ask yourself do I drive my car year round? Do we get snow? Does it drop below 45deg F often? Do I just drive my car in the spring summer and fall? How aggressive do I drive? Do I track my car? ... Looking at myself I live in western MA and although I don't drive my car in the winter it can get below 35-40deg F here in both spring and fall and most real good high performance tires are slick or should I say don't grip well at all at them temps and can be downright dangerous! Esp if you are not expierianced driving on them. Personally I would never drive my 2013 GT in the winter without 4 snow tires but many here are braver then I. As for pure summer tires that are great in the rain also look at the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 this is the current benchmark but they are a bit pricey. One step down would be the Bridgstone Potenza S-04 Pole Position with the Continental DW right in the mix. If you drive often in the rain the best rain high performance tire (so says the tire rack) would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 although not up to the others in the dry. Some real winners that are easy on the wallet are Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Cooper SO3, Sumitomo HTR Z3 great summer tire for the $$ can be had for $145.00ea from the Tire Rack for 255/40/19. For a high performance All Season tire in my opinion I have not seen a better tire then the Cooper AS-03 tire I have several friends that own them and it's the one do it all tire that has great dry, Wet and lite snow grip that works and is quite reasonable. I'm sure that some of the high $$ high performance All Season tires are better but be prepared to pay significantly more per tire. I find performance tires are like high end audio equipment and that is the point of diminishing returns. Yes the Bridgstone SO-4 is a better tire then say the Sumitumo HTR Z3 but how much better and how much more do I have to spend to get there? Only you can justify that one. Hope this helps.
Old 4/22/15, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Kestral
Some tire advice from someone who has owned a few sports cars and learned a few things over the years. Ask yourself do I drive my car year round? Do we get snow? Does it drop below 45deg F often? Do I just drive my car in the spring summer and fall? How aggressive do I drive? Do I track my car? ... Looking at myself I live in western MA and although I don't drive my car in the winter it can get below 35-40deg F here in both spring and fall and most real good high performance tires are slick or should I say don't grip well at all at them temps and can be downright dangerous! Esp if you are not expierianced driving on them. Personally I would never drive my 2013 GT in the winter without 4 snow tires but many here are braver then I. As for pure summer tires that are great in the rain also look at the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 this is the current benchmark but they are a bit pricey. One step down would be the Bridgstone Potenza S-04 Pole Position with the Continental DW right in the mix. If you drive often in the rain the best rain high performance tire (so says the tire rack) would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 although not up to the others in the dry. Some real winners that are easy on the wallet are Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Cooper SO3, Sumitomo HTR Z3 great summer tire for the $$ can be had for $145.00ea from the Tire Rack for 255/40/19. For a high performance All Season tire in my opinion I have not seen a better tire then the Cooper AS-03 tire I have several friends that own them and it's the one do it all tire that has great dry, Wet and lite snow grip that works and is quite reasonable. I'm sure that some of the high $$ high performance All Season tires are better but be prepared to pay significantly more per tire. I find performance tires are like high end audio equipment and that is the point of diminishing returns. Yes the Bridgstone SO-4 is a better tire then say the Sumitumo HTR Z3 but how much better and how much more do I have to spend to get there? Only you can justify that one. Hope this helps.
+1 What he said.

I have the Cooper Zeon RS3-S Summer tire in 19's. It is a very good tire for the money, handles well in wet weather too. Only draw back is late fall, I have to swap them out for Winter tires.

There is another member who has the Cooper AS maybe he can chime in - forgot who it was. He had good things to say about them.
Old 4/22/15, 05:18 PM
GT Member

In my Opinion the Cooper RS3-S (sport) and RS3-A (all season) are some of the best dollar value in performance tires out there. I have a friend that drives hard with his Chevy Camero with Cooper RS3-S tires and says they are better then several high dollar summer performance tires he has had on his car and the tires that were better were only marginally better but cost significantly more. Also look into the Mickey Tompson performance tire it's made by Cooper tire and close to the RS3-S. Cooper spent three years developing there current high performance tires and there main test mules were V6 and V8 Mustangs.
Old 4/23/15, 05:48 AM

I think I'm going to buy the coopers. I live in North carolina and don't see a lot of snow. I appreciate the advice, it definitely helped
Old 4/23/15, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by aka19774
I think I'm going to buy the coopers. I live in North carolina and don't see a lot of snow. I appreciate the advice, it definitely helped
Let us know how you like them.
Old 4/23/15, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 668 Likes on 542 Posts
Cooper Zeon RS3-As are the tire. No question. For All Season anyway.

Great wet, dry, cold, hot traction. The 235-55/17s were *better* than the current General G-MAX AS-03s I have in 275-40/18s. Bigger tire, not as good on traction. Go figure.

If I could get the Coopers in the size(s) I would need to get, I would have them on my car, but alas. Silly me, wanting 9.5" wide rims...

/And no, the 255-45/18s aren't good for the back. It's bad enough the not-quite-wide enough tire is in the front on the GT500s.
Old 4/24/15, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought the Copper RS3-A's a few months ago and they have been great thus far. I'm very pleased with them in the cold, rain, and warm weather. I need to test them when its hot out (80+ degrees) but I'm sure they will be great. They seem to hook up better than the stock pirellis as well. Would definitely buy again.
Old 4/24/15, 10:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Continental DW's are a good choice i hear. Or Nitto invos, which i have.
Old 4/25/15, 01:31 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had cooper zeons on my old 2010 GT and hated them. The road noise drove me nuts. A constant "whomp whomp whomp whomp" that speed up and down with my cars speed. Maybe I just HD a bad set but next time I'm going to try Michelin pilots.
Old 4/25/15, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Love my Conti DW tires. Worthless below 50 degrees but my oh my are they amazing above 50 degrees.
Old 4/27/15, 05:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have Avalanche or better known as Hercules snow tires. Pretty loud of a tire on the road, but I had A LOT of horseplay this winter season and when I put my summers back on, I was really surprised to see that my rear tires still looked like they had the same amount of tread as my fronts. Those snow tires are the only tires I've bought for my previous vehicles as well for the winter season.