Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/13, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Problem

I was cleaning the tire the other day and noticed that there was damage on the right front tire. I couldn't figure out how it happened,because I have never parked next to a curb. So I looked at some pictures of took of the car before I bought it and found that damage was shown in one of those pictures.

Does anyone else have similar damage?

I talked to the dealer and he seems reluctant to take responsibility for the the damage at this time. I am going over to the dealer this afternoon so his parts manager can look at the tires. It sounds like they are going to see if it is a defect in the tire so they can have it replaced under the tire warranty. I don't hold out much hope for this approach. I believe it should be covered by Ford.

Here are a comparison photo of the damage.

Top - Current Picture
Bottom - Pre-delivery Picture

Last edited by Snoopy49; 5/21/13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 5/21/13, 01:55 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy49
I was cleaning the tire the other day and noticed that there was damage on the right front tire. I couldn't figure out how it happened,because I have never parked next to a curb. So I looked at some pictures of took of the car before I bought it and found that damage was shown in one of those pictures.

Does anyone else have similar damage?

I talked to the dealer and he seems reluctant to take responsibility for the the damage at this time. I am going over to the dealer this afternoon so his parts manager can look at the tires. It sounds like they are going to see if it is a defect in the tire so they can have it replaced under the tire warranty. I don't hold out much hope for this approach. I believe it should be covered by Ford.

Here are a comparison photo of the damage.

Top - Current Picture
Bottom - Pre-delivery Picture
1 how much tread is left on your tires?

2 there are no safety risks that I can see. Inly a little cosmetic damage or nust came that way from the tire manufacturer.

3 you've gone how long without noticing?
Old 5/21/13, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
1 how much tread is left on your tires?

2 there are no safety risks that I can see. Inly a little cosmetic damage or nust came that way from the tire manufacturer.

3 you've gone how long without noticing?
Tires only have 900 easy miles on them.

Bought the car in late January.

2013 GT500
Old 5/21/13, 02:06 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 GT500
Ok so you should still have plenty tread. So they cant pull the "there almost all the way worn out"

Been a few months. If they say no go I would think you could over look them till they need to be replaced. It doesnt stick out that bad.
Old 5/21/13, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I took the car to the dealer today and they wrote up a service order on the tires, now I just have to see who steps up and does the right thing, Ford or Goodyear. At this point they are the only ones involved.
Old 5/22/13, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Pics it doesn't really look like its gotten worse, would you agree that's true?

If so then it could be a minor issue(ie - cosmetic) I say that because the gouges are in the tread blocks. With some aggressive driving those might wear back to even and go away.

But if the dealer or goodyear is willing to warranty the tire, more power to ya. Good luck.
Old 5/23/13, 08:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
its certainly not curb damage, it appears something has cut scallops into the tire. If by some chance the tire has had that problem from the get-go I'd say it was damaged in shipping from Ford to the dealer. I find it unlikely (but not impossible) that it could have been damaged from Goodyear to Ford then down the assembly line. I agree with Texas that is mainly cosmetic although if its more than 2/32 deep you may consider replacing it if you don't get some sort of adjustment from the dealer.

Oh man duh, should read the notes there since its existed since pre-delivery.

Last edited by bob; 5/23/13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 5/24/13, 04:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

IMO, the damage appears to be from some sort of pinching, maybe when the car was being loaded or unloaded from the transport trucks, or maybe even on the roller tracks going down the Ford assembly line. The 2013+ GT500 has a different offset and wider front wheel than any other production Mustang built today, so logic would likely lead me down assembly line damage.

The visual defect is just what we can see on the tire surface, and for a car that can go 200 mph with Goodyear tires that are supposed to handle that, I too would question the tire. Would anyone stating the tire doesn't look that bad, also trust it at 200 mph?
Old 5/24/13, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

2013 GT500
snoopy whats the latest from the dealer?
Old 5/24/13, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by elkk
snoopy whats the latest from the dealer?
They pushed it off on the parts manager and he has been out of the office for the last couple of days. He was suppose to return to work today and look into the problem. I probably won't hear anything until sometime next week.

Thanks all for the comments.
Old 5/27/13, 12:35 PM
GT Member

It looks just like my daughters left front tire and left rear tire. I was helping her wash her car and i noticed it. She goes to the Cruise Thru Car Wash. I have been telling her not to use those car washes because i have had problems myself with car washes in the past. Who hasn't? Well, it finallyy popped both left side tires. Cruise Thru bought two new tires.
Old 5/27/13, 01:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by r1rider98
It looks just like my daughters left front tire and left rear tire. I was helping her wash her car and i noticed it. She goes to the Cruise Thru Car Wash. I have been telling her not to use those car washes because i have had problems myself with car washes in the past. Who hasn't? Well, it finallyy popped both left side tires. Cruise Thru bought two new tires.
Hit the nail on the head. I learned a lesson a few years back when I got lazy and took my S281 through a touch less car wash. A new Saleen rim later, I wished I would have known. tire was chewed to hell also.

But then I wonder if you have ever taken your car through the car wash?? If not, I'm perplexed to say its a mfg defect.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/27/13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 5/27/13, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Hand wash only and in my driveway, as far as I know, the dealer didn't run it through a car wash before delivery.

Here is what the owners manual has to say about washing the car.

WASHING YOUR SHELBY GT500
Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicle’s low ground clearance, tire width and track. Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor. Do not use a power washer or high pressure wand on the striped surfaces or stripe edges.Refer to the Owner’s Manual for information on cleaning products and vehicle care.

Old 6/4/13, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

The dealer is replacing the tire and it should be in by the end of next week. I am not sure if the dealer or Ford is replacing the tire.
Old 6/5/13, 04:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
That's good news...............and a good dealer