Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/12, 04:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tire pressure sensor

Does the low tire pressure sensor throw a code that identifies the wheel with a problem?? If not, why not? And why not tell the driver on the display?
Old 4/8/12, 04:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope
Old 4/8/12, 06:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
Does the low tire pressure sensor throw a code that identifies the wheel with a problem?? If not, why not? And why not tell the driver on the display?
No, and it probably doesn't because that would cost Ford a few extra dollars to include.

Besides, how hard can it be for you to use your eyes, or use a tire pressure gauge?
Old 4/8/12, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When mine showed a low tire, I walked around the car and said....oh, there is the low one.....even the tire repair shop could ID the low tire.
Old 4/8/12, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On my 8 year old Mazda I have to walk around physically to check the tp on all 4, cars these days, boy...
Old 4/8/12, 12:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, kind of a stupid deal not giving the tire info individually. Heck, even the Nissan van I drive at work give you the pressure on each tire on the display screen.
Old 4/8/12, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
When mine showed a low tire, I walked around the car and said....oh, there is the low one.....even the tire repair shop could ID the low tire.
In this case, the tire shop did narrow it down by checking the pressure in all four. I stopped in there probably 2 minutes after it alarmed. 17 psi difference and I couldn't 'see it', and neither could they. Ford had repaired the same tire two days earlier. Tire shop says it looks like failure to seal at the rim.

My initial question was because it would seem logical that if the computer is smart enough to know something isn't right, it would tell you which sensor saw a problem. Unless it assumes an average of all four wheels, in which case it would 'alarm' if all four were down 2 psi (or whatever would equal the loss that triggers the alarm).

I went almost three years without a flat tire... and now I've had three in two weeks.
Old 4/8/12, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

The sensor are in each wheel and simply send a message to the computer if the pressure drops. The computer and matching dash layout is not designed to ID the position. In the past, cars that did that created problems when the tires were rotated as the sensors in the tires were position sensitive. This required the computer to be reset at each rotation....some forgot to do this and got what they felt were false readings....and problems could arise from that....lack of knowledge on the owners fault.

Some cars may have that system but I have not dealt with anything with a position sensitive sensor.

Also, if one tire is low and the driver missed "seeing" it....maybe it is a good idea that they have to check all of them to figure out the problem tire.
Old 4/8/12, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
The system is nothing but a toggle. If any one of four sensors flip, the computer alerts the driver. Individual sensors would be nice, but without being able to identify which sensor sent the flag, you're back to square one having to check every tire.

By the way, with the tires as thin as they are it's virtually impossible to find a low one unless it's so low it's become dangerous to drive on. If you can visually tell a tire is low, change or inflate it immediately.
Old 4/8/12, 07:11 PM
Cobra Member

The light on mine came on while driving. I pulled into a lot, did a walk around and saw the rt. rear was low in appearance. No need to check it....tire shop a block away...pulled in and had it repaired. Same with my daughters '09. Easy to see which tire is low when the light comes on......dang roofing company.
Old 4/9/12, 12:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't mind, gives me a reason to check them all anyway.
Old 4/15/12, 12:06 AM
GT Member

TPMS is government nanny state-ese for "solution in search of a problem".... if you can't learn to maintain your vehicle, perhaps you shouldn't be driving...

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/15/12 at 12:08 AM.
Old 4/16/12, 04:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
TPMS is government nanny state-ese for "solution in search of a problem".... if you can't learn to maintain your vehicle, perhaps you shouldn't be driving...
I dunno if this is a direct shot at me or a comment on Govco.... but if it was at me, you can KMA. It's a legitimate question.
Old 4/16/12, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm old fashioned I guess; I still walk around the car once a week, check my tire pressure with a guage, check the engine oil, etc.

These days, we rely on having indicators and warning chimes to let us know when somethings not right. Nothing wrong with this; its progress I suppose. makes me wonder how folks were able to drive 10 years ago.

Hit your local Ford service center or tire shop for a freebie tire guage next time you're there.

Last edited by Bucko; 4/16/12 at 06:13 AM.
Old 4/16/12, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

I look at the sensor thing as an "oh crap" type situation. I check things as many do...weekly plus a quick look as I walk to and from the car. The sensor is a nice item if a tire starts to go down while driving.....other than that......not much use for them.
Old 4/16/12, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Considering most people are far busier now than they were 10-15 years ago, let alone 30-50 years ago, the automatic warnings on a car are often the first thing the driver notices in between his morning coffee, the entire drive filled with phone calls, a much busier social life with children and a wife who now most likely works instead of staying home, family spread all over the country if not the world (which means more time spent communicating with them in means other than face to face--all of which require more attention)...it's a wonder most people ever think to check the gas gauge.

You also need to realize that those of us on this board represent a contingent that likely makes up less than 5% of the general population: most people just don't care that much about their cars. Hence, they're not going to be as attentive. That's just the way it is. As that is the case, the car's ability to notify the driver of something being wrong is actually rather intuitive of car makers and in the majority of cases of car owners, is now a necessity rather than a luxury. Complain all you want to about them and about the people who need them, it's reality and those people far outnumber you.
Old 4/17/12, 05:46 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not looking down on anyone that likes, relys on, or requires guages of these sorts to inform them of a problem with their automobile. And I'll agree that perhaps those that do their own "walkaround" and maintenance are a rare breed. However, in the case of a Mustang, I think those counts are a bit higher. If it were an Explorer, I'd be with you. But most folks that drive a Mustang are car buffs, and would tend to be more maintenance aware and indeed do care about their car.

Again, no big deal if folks rely or not on buzzers, gauges, and noise to get their attention as to a fault. That's progress. At least we have a dipstick for engine oil. My wifes BMW has a sensor now; no dipstick. Kind of stupid I think, but it goes along with the 5% theory stated earlier I guess.
Old 4/17/12, 06:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Though I check my tires regularly, Im grateful for a sensor in case I miss a low tire or drive over something. Hard to tell youre losing pressure at highway speeds until it starts getting loose and sometimes the next gas station at that point isnt conveniently close. Could save me $ or an accident. Course the TPMS sensors arent cheap. But no dipstick? Thats akin to having TPMS bur no way to check your own tire pressure, waiting on a dummy light, which is silly.
Old 4/17/12, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

I lost a bit of respect with BMW when they went this route. I guess they figure that folks who drive BMW's don't waste their time getting their fingers dirty pulling on a dipstick, or that they prefer to take their car to the local BMW dealer, get the free car wash, and have the oil checked for them.
Old 4/17/12, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
I lost a bit of respect with BMW when they went this route. I guess they figure that folks who drive BMW's don't waste their time getting their fingers dirty pulling on a dipstick, or that they prefer to take their car to the local BMW dealer, get the free car wash, and have the oil checked for them.
Maybe you haven't looked at the people who drive BMW's. Those people haven't pulled a dipstick in decades, if ever.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor