2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tight Supply of Mustangs now?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/12, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its been an eye opening experience...when i ordered i was under the impression that allocation was just for stock...and not for orders

i thought orders got treated as...well they want a car...build him a car
Old 7/9/12, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Each of us dealers knows our weekly/monthly allocations for Mustangs. Salesmen typically don't, but they can ask whomever does the ordering & wholesale meetings with Ford for the dealership. Ford tries to do historical analysis in guessing how many to allocate to each dealer, but those wholesale meetings each month are the dealers' opportunities to tell their Ford rep if they need extra allocation, and Ford's opportunity to say yes or no to extra allocations for that dealer that month. The Ford Rep only has so many of each model to go around their entire region, so they can't give extras to every dealer, but some dealers may not want all of their allocations for that month, freeing up cars for dealers who want extra. Complicated? Sure is! You try balancing the needs of 3700+ dealers in an equitable fashion, though, while balancing supplier constraints at the factories.
Thanks for the input. I have a question, however. Is customer wait time factored in the dealer's or regional manager's action? What I mean is if a customer has been waiting weeks for a build, does anybody at Ford say, look, this guy has been waiting for a long time, we need to supply him a car regardless of what the dealer aloocation is? Or is it, sorry, no allocation, no car. Go buy a Camaro.

Joe C.
Old 7/9/12, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
Thanks for the input. I have a question, however. Is customer wait time factored in the dealer's or regional manager's action? What I mean is if a customer has been waiting weeks for a build, does anybody at Ford say, look, this guy has been waiting for a long time, we need to supply him a car regardless of what the dealer aloocation is? Or is it, sorry, no allocation, no car. Go buy a Camaro.

Joe C.
Joe, it's sorry no car , no allocation.

Nobody looks and says, hey,you been waiting 14 weeks....your dealer is the only one that can push super hard on your order.
Old 7/10/12, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel for those that have placed an order and are still waiting. I guess I bought at a good time, as I found what I was looking for, on the lot without having to order back in early 2012.

I just hope the Mustang does not turn into what Harley Davidson did; flood the market with tons and tons of bikes for a few years. It used to be you ordered your bike from Harley, then waited. Then they (Harley) flooded the market, the resale prices fell from grace, and Harley went from huge sales booms to a saturated market.

I do think that those that place an order with Ford should get their Mustang built, or they should be told when they place their order that it will be a longer wait. Certainly don't take the customers money and them leave them hanging longer than told (or expected).
I had my purchase down to two vehicles; the Mustang or the Challenger. The Mustang was my first choice, and was glad I found what I wanted.
Old 7/10/12, 11:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BigR
Craig , call Margaret at east court ford, tell her I sent you, Rick with the white 2013 convertible vert gt.... aside from best possible price, she will be able to locate what you want. Call her at least, see what she has on the lot to test drive in the v6 ...let me know how it works out. Good luck !
Thanks for the info. I'm in the eastern TO burbs BTW.

I have an extremely close dealer that I'll be working with, and a highly recommended salesperson. The process has started, and though I could change dealers, it hardly makes sense (for now and future) when one is only a mile away. I bought my current Ford from them too.

My attitude about wait times is they should give you an honest estimate, and you should be able to withdraw without financial penalty if this time is say a month or certainly if two months longer and the build hasn't started. It can't be an open-ended agreement with all the rocks in the dealer's hand. Some people know they will need a car by a certain time and can't wait past it. Some people think they *are* ordering far enough in advance of need...

Last edited by cfraser; 7/10/12 at 11:08 AM.
Old 7/10/12, 11:56 AM
GT Member

I guess its a good thing that the 2013s are selling well. Its a brillant car all around, guess more people are realizing it and making the jump. Ford deserves some credit for making a great car. Even one that converted a lifetime GM owner to make his first non GM purchase
Old 7/10/12, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cfraser
I'm in the Toronto area. Never found a current MY V6 manual coupe on a lot, last 3 MYs. Almost all V6s are convertible with auto. They always seem to have to bring a V6 in if you want a test drive, so I haven't bothered just yet. Local dealers seem loaded up with V8s and not the cheap ones... Anyway, I'll be ordering shortly (after the test drive) and expect to get delivery before the winter, that's good enough for me.
Contact Bill Aitken at Heritage Ford in Scarborough. He will hook you up with a Mustang.
He is a supporting vendor at www.gtamc.com

2660 Kingston Scarborough, ON M1M 1L6
(416) 269-5922

I had a very negative experiance with East Court, and would not recommend neither their service or sales department. I had to go to another dealership to repair my Marauder since their technitians were incapable of finding the problem. Their parking is also terrible and disorganized. Which reflects the dealership as a whole.

///Ronith

EDIT: Also try Erinwood Ford:

http://erinwoodford.com/new-inventory/model/mustang/

Last edited by Ronith; 7/10/12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 7/10/12, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ITS A SHAME THAT FORD WILL NOT TAKE CARE OF A PAYING CUSTOMER. Rather than build a car already sold and satisfy a customer, Ford will just make another so-so car to sit on a dealers lot. Fill up the dealers wants and ignore the real/final customer. Ford is just like most other big businesses, non-caring of the real customers. Let them by what we make - we know best - sounds alot like big government and big business, both in financial trouble. As long as they meet the bottom line who cares about the customer. BYW I am a Ford product loyalist and probably won't change, it just makes me mad at corporate's greed and bottom line mentality. It is more maddening knowing that Ford used to take care of retail orders and now its too much to bother with.
Old 7/10/12, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RMS70
ITS A SHAME THAT FORD WILL NOT TAKE CARE OF A PAYING CUSTOMER. Rather than build a car already sold and satisfy a customer, Ford will just make another so-so car to sit on a dealers lot. Fill up the dealers wants and ignore the real/final customer. Ford is just like most other big businesses, non-caring of the real customers. Let them by what we make - we know best - sounds alot like big government and big business, both in financial trouble. As long as they meet the bottom line who cares about the customer. BYW I am a Ford product loyalist and probably won't change, it just makes me mad at corporate's greed and bottom line mentality. It is more maddening knowing that Ford used to take care of retail orders and now its too much to bother with.
Nonsense
Old 7/10/12, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Back in 2005, I had a dealer in Green bay take my deposit and wright up an order. It never got built and ended up getting dropped at the end of the year. Turns out they assigned it a 99 priority so it was never going to be built.
Old 7/10/12, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The Ford dealer I ordered from said that retail orders take scheduling preference over stock / inventory builds. Is this true?

After all of this, I don't know what to believe anymore.

And how do you find out your "priority" code? Is it hidden somewhere on the DORA?

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 7/10/12 at 06:04 PM.
Old 7/10/12, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
The Ford dealer I ordered from said that retail orders take scheduling preference over stock / inventory builds. Is this true?

After all of this, I don't know what to believe anymore.

And how do you find out your "priority" code? Is it hidden somewhere on the DORA?
My dealer told me I am a priority "11". But if a dealer can't get Ford to take the order and build the car it might as well be a "99". I know Jeff is doing all he can to get the car built and wants to get a VIN as much as I do. But if he and his dealership are unsucessful, there are options, no offense to Jeff. I could wait and wait. Or I could go online and search dealer stock for a car close to what I wanted and add the stripe and mufflers later. (That is how I got my current GT.) Or I can find a dealer in a different region where the allocation story may be different and reorder. It has been 4.5 weeks now. I can't wait for ever.

Joe C.
Old 7/10/12, 07:18 PM
FR500 Member

If you can get your financing outside of Ford, you should also check with Van Bortel Ford in Rochester, NY. They deal with lots of customers from Toronto, and their Mustang prices are in the area of US invoice plus 199/399$. They are very straight up people. I ordered by Boss from them. Didn't even need to leave a deposit.

Last edited by PTRocks; 7/10/12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 7/10/12, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronith
Contact Bill Aitken at Heritage Ford in Scarborough. He will hook you up with a Mustang.
He is a supporting vendor at www.gtamc.com

2660 Kingston Scarborough, ON M1M 1L6
(416) 269-5922

I had a very negative experiance with East Court, and would not recommend neither their service or sales department. I had to go to another dealership to repair my Marauder since their technitians were incapable of finding the problem. Their parking is also terrible and disorganized. Which reflects the dealership as a whole.

///Ronith

EDIT: Also try Erinwood Ford:

http://erinwoodford.com/new-inventory/model/mustang/
Wow, that's sad to hear, too bad that happened ! I have had multiple great experiences there.

As,for ordering a car, going to a mustang volume store will help, but it's never a guarrentee of getting a car sooner. Personally, I like to order my cars, very rare do you find what you want on a lot nowadays. I find all the cars come very loaded , and sometimes you don't want a few of those options.
Old 7/14/12, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Bad and good news....Bad news is Jeff from Yocum Ford was in a car accident! He was hurt alittle and will be out for a week. The good news is he was hurt just a little and will be back in a week. Get well soon Jeff!!!

Joe C.
Attached Thumbnails Tight Supply of Mustangs now?-jeff-accident-1.jpg  
Old 7/14/12, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Bad and good news....Bad news is Jeff from Yocum Ford was in a car accident! He was hurt alittle and will be out for a week. The good news is he was hurt just a little and will be back in a week. Get well soon Jeff!!!

Joe C.
Yikes! Get well soon indeed Jeff!
Old 7/14/12, 10:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Jeff, sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you're okay and healing up quickly!
Old 7/14/12, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe C.
And the best news is that isn't a Mustang that got crashed!
Old 7/14/12, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt! Hope you get back to ripping gears soon!

Take care my friend!
Old 7/14/12, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
And the best news is that isn't a Mustang that got crashed!
I believe the story goes Jeff was driving a dealer demo and someone ran into him, it was not Jeff's fault. The air bags did not go off because he was hit at the wheel where there are no sensors.

Joe C.

P.S. I found out about this because I was talking to the dealership asking about my car. The dealership believes there is a good chance my car will be given a VIN this week.

Quick Reply: Tight Supply of Mustangs now?