2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Is there a thing as "too soon"?

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/10, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a thing as "too soon"?

I was just curious if there is such a thing as making mods too soon to a vehicle. Obviously it won't make a difference with "optical"/styling mods (e.g. spoilers, louvers, etc.), will it make a difference with components such as CAI+Tune, Exhaust, etc.

When would you do your mods? Right away or after a few hundred/thousand miles?

Thanks
Old 8/22/10, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

at least 500miles for the clutch to "wear" in..

ive burned out ALOT of clutches not waiting for them to break in.. lessons learned..

after that go to town..
Old 8/22/10, 11:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't understand what difference mods would make to the clutch, you can tear it up just as easily stock.

Mod it as soon as you drive it off the dealer lot if you want.

I kind of like to get to know a car before I start changing it, so I would drive it for a while just for that reason before tearing into it.
Old 8/22/10, 11:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my '07 GT in October 2006 and within 2 weeks it had 4.10 gears and a tune. The dealer I work for has even sold brand new Mustangs with aftermarket mods installed at time of purchase - including superchargers! It's never too soon to mod!
Old 8/23/10, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

All the mods in my sig were done as soon as I got my car.I've allways modded my Mustangs right away.If you do your research on parts and go with reputable companies that stand behind their products you should have no problems.

The CAI/tune and the exhaust just improved a already great platform and I could'nt be happier with the results.I've got close to 4k miles on my car with 0 problems.
Old 8/23/10, 01:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Don't understand what difference mods would make to the clutch, you can tear it up just as easily stock.

Mod it as soon as you drive it off the dealer lot if you want.

I kind of like to get to know a car before I start changing it, so I would drive it for a while just for that reason before tearing into it.
you would have more of tendency to rip on it after mods are installed.. if the clutch isnt seated in properly it will slip easier.. and slipping clutches are burning clutches..

remember what happend to evolution with only 300 miles on the clock.. they had to replace the clutch.. why.. 80 miles and they were at the track.. then next day.. dyno runs.. and an ***-ton more dyno runs over the next few days.. then the track with slicks/ DR's.. if i remember correctly 12 passes total and the clutch was slipping..

I had about 80 street miles on a clutch one time.. tried to do a burn out.. and did nothing but burn the clutch..
Old 8/23/10, 01:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
you would have more of tendency to rip on it after mods are installed.. if the clutch isnt seated in properly it will slip easier.. and slipping clutches are burning clutches..

remember what happend to evolution with only 300 miles on the clock.. they had to replace the clutch.. why.. 80 miles and they were at the track.. then next day.. dyno runs.. and an ***-ton more dyno runs over the next few days.. then the track with slicks/ DR's.. if i remember correctly 12 passes total and the clutch was slipping..

I had about 80 street miles on a clutch one time.. tried to do a burn out.. and did nothing but burn the clutch..

Trust me, I'm not planning of going to the track at all or doing burnouts and donuts in the parking lot anytime soon... Just wanted to get things like 1" lowering, CAI+Tune and maybe exhaust taken care of, rather sooner than later...
Old 8/23/10, 06:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I plan to enjoy the car as stock for awhile. I haven't got an itch for anymore power.. mostly just for more low
Old 8/23/10, 06:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Low?
Old 8/23/10, 06:24 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The way i look at it is, do the mods you want. The sooner you do them the longer you'll be able to enjoy them.
Old 8/23/10, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
The way i look at it is, do the mods you want. The sooner you do them the longer you'll be able to enjoy them.
Old 8/23/10, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer

I don't think mileage had anything to do with the Evo Mustang. They would have burned that stock clutch up no matter what the mileage. That stock clutch isn't made to withstand that kind of abuse (ie slicks).
Old 8/23/10, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Low?

Lowering the car. Stock, at certain angles, it looks too much like a 4x4

It's the same with any car at stock ride height, just this car deserves a better stance!
Old 8/23/10, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Lowering the car. Stock, at certain angles, it looks too much like a 4x4

It's the same with any car at stock ride height, just this car deserves a better stance!
What are you going to use?
Old 8/23/10, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
What are you going to use?
Personally I will probably go with Steeda Sport Springs and the Steeda adjustable panhard bar. I don't want too low and these seem to do the job.
Old 8/23/10, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

My car just crested 500 miles. She had an exhaust done before I even took delivery (my brother works for the dealer and slapped my magnaflow muffler deletes on during dealer prep), and I am doing a Steeda CAI and tune on wednesday when the fed ex guy arrives at my shop
Old 8/24/10, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 GT
I was just curious if there is such a thing as making mods too soon to a vehicle. Obviously it won't make a difference with "optical"/styling mods (e.g. spoilers, louvers, etc.), will it make a difference with components such as CAI+Tune, Exhaust, etc.

When would you do your mods? Right away or after a few hundred/thousand miles?

Thanks
I had a CAI, Underdrive pulley. axle backs and xpipe, springs, lower control arms and panhard bar at around 500 miles, and then the kenne bell was installed and it had about 6k miles and the car runs fine... so go have some fun and modify that beast!