Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

is there any Parking Brake issues with the 2011s?

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/10, 07:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there any Parking Brake issues with the 2011s?

on my 05 if i set the parking brake, only on an incline i did this, one thanksgiving weekend it got cold and the car set for 2 days, i went to drive it and the parking brake handle released...but the actual brake didn't

i further read that this had do do with the cable getting moisture in with it and freezing

now that i own a manual car and would like to let it warm up a bit in the mornings i plan on specifically using my parking brake

is there any issues that haven't been addressed since 05?
Old 11/11/10, 07:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
on my 05 if i set the parking brake, only on an incline i did this, one thanksgiving weekend it got cold and the car set for 2 days, i went to drive it and the parking brake handle released...but the actual brake didn't

i further read that this had do do with the cable getting moisture in with it and freezing

now that i own a manual car and would like to let it warm up a bit in the mornings i plan on specifically using my parking brake

I had that happen in my 08' but I doubt anyone would know yet cause its winter just now just about and they are 11's sooooooo good luck with the answer. But I might be able to let ya know in a few days or so cause I am on my way to pick up my 11' NOW!!!!
Old 11/11/10, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY

My 2005 did the same thing - parking brake froze on cold days. You'd release the lever, but the brake itself was stuck. Pain in the a##! Now if it gets below freezing, I never set the parking break, just leave the car in gear.
Old 11/11/10, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by born2run74
My 2005 did the same thing - parking brake froze on cold days. You'd release the lever, but the brake itself was stuck. Pain in the a##! Now if it gets below freezing, I never set the parking break, just leave the car in gear.
i cant leave the car in gear if i am warming it up

alltho i do have an engine block heater equipped
Old 11/11/10, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by born2run74
This happens on most cars.. I rarely use mine..
Old 11/11/10, 01:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should always use the parking brake since the mechanism that adjusts the rear brakes is part of the parking brake mechanism. Each time you set the parking brake it rachets up the caliper piston if there is any slack in it to keep the pads in the proper relation to the rotor.

The rear caliper does not float like the front so if you never set the parking brake then the rear caliper will be out of adjustment after a while and this will increase pedal travel before the brakes get fully applied.
Old 11/11/10, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

^^ this is true
Old 11/11/10, 03:57 PM
GTR Member

I'm terrible about not using the parking brake on any automatic trans cars I've ever had and you really should use it on those cars too just for the reason I stated above.

It will really keep the brakes on your car working better.
Old 11/11/10, 04:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
This happens on most cars.. I rarely use mine..

Really??? I'm 52 years old and have owned many, many cars from more manufacturers than I have fingers. My Mustang is the first car I've owned that has this problem. I also currently own a 2001 F-150 and it does not have this problem either.
Old 1/15/11, 07:50 PM

Xxxxx

Last edited by SID UGLY; 3/9/14 at 05:03 PM.
Old 1/16/11, 01:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SID UGLY
I e mailed Ford and have yet to hear from them.
They're probably passing around the email wondering what kind of genius leaves their kids in a manual car running on a hill with the parking brake on.
Old 1/16/11, 08:35 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
They're probably passing around the email wondering what kind of genius leaves their kids in a manual car running on a hill with the parking brake on.

And if it wasn't running then you could have left it in gear too.

And you never know if the kid might mess with the lever releasing the brake because they don't know any better.

I remember one time when I was probably 7 years old, my dad left me sitting in his old b-tird for a few minutes. It was not running and the auto was in park. I decided I wanted to play like I was driving and I grabbed the shifter and pulled it out of park and the car rolled a little and bumped into the car ahead and banged it. Got my behind busted for that one...
Old 1/16/11, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Frozen parking brakes are very common. That's why on an auto its not recommend to use the emergency brake in the winter for parking. It normally happens with snow on the ground though.
Old 1/16/11, 09:43 AM
Banned

The best way to keep your parking brake in shape is to use it often, as Ltngdrvr stated above the rears need actuated by the parking brake to adjust properly. I would even venture to say that at 200 miles in the parking brake is barely adjusted to spec not taking into account any snow or ice.

You should never depend solely on the parking brake when on a hill, just as in an automatic you shouldn't rely solely on the Park position to hold you in place on a hill! If the pin that engages in Park snaps or fails to engage properly then your car can roll off there too.

Shut off your car, leave it in gear (or Park in an auto), put on your parking brake when parking on a hill. Check, check, check. Turning your wheels in too. Check.

Take your kid with you when there isn't an adult in the car. Big check.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 1/16/11 at 09:44 AM.
Old 1/16/11, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SID UGLY
I just brought a 2011 V6 with a manual transmission last week. It has about 200 on it so far. I was parked on a hill today and I pulled my parking brakes. As I was about to get off the car I checked my brakes again to see if they were all the way up because I was leaving my daughter in it while I got some money out from the ATM. You can guess what happened next. I came back to a rolling car that had my nine year old in it and it stopped inches way from incoming traffic. And the only reason it stopped was because it ran over a median. I took my daughter out of the car and to a safe place. And then got in the car checked the brakes which were still engaged, and pulled my car to a safe spot. Later on I called the dealer to report the problem, they make it sound like it's just a minor incident. I e mailed Ford and have yet to hear from them.

I had the same thing happen to my 2007 GT/CS. I pulled into my garage, set the brake and took it out of gear as it was going to be sitting for several days. After going in the house, I hear the garage door opening, apparently, the car had rolled back and tripped the safety device causing the door to open back up. The car rolled out of the garage, down the drive and stopped after running over the curb across the street, just missing a parked roofing truck and light pole. No damage, but the roofers couldn'e believe what they were seeing. The parking brake was still enagaged. After that, parked in gear, always.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 1/16/11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 1/16/11, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
The best way to keep your parking brake in shape is to use it often, as Ltngdrvr stated above the rears need actuated by the parking brake to adjust properly. I would even venture to say that at 200 miles in the parking brake is barely adjusted to spec not taking into account any snow or ice.

You should never depend solely on the parking brake when on a hill, just as in an automatic you shouldn't rely solely on the Park position to hold you in place on a hill! If the pin that engages in Park snaps or fails to engage properly then your car can roll off there too.

Shut off your car, leave it in gear (or Park in an auto), put on your parking brake when parking on a hill. Check, check, check. Turning your wheels in too. Check.

Take your kid with you when there isn't an adult in the car. Big check.
Not true. An automatic in park is just that. The reason to engage the parking brake is to keep the pawl from getting locked in place. This would result in not being able to move from park. The emergency brake on an automatic is just that. Its not required for parking. You should use it on a hill for the reason I descibed.

Also, as far as I know, todays disc brakes dont require the parking brake to adjust (I know drum brakes do). I could be wrong though. I dont see that in any of the manuals for my cars though. Anyone see that in the 5.0 manual? It may be there and I am just overlooking.

Last edited by falhulk; 1/16/11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 1/16/11, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I had the same thing happen to my 2007 GT/CS. I pulled into my garage, set the brake and took it out of gear as it was going to be sitting for several days. After going in the house, I hear the garage door opening, apparently, the car had rolled back and tripped the safety device causing the door to open back up. The car rolled out of the garage, down the drive and stopped after running over the curb across the street, just missing a parked roofing truck and light pole. No damage, but the roofers couldn'e believe what they were seeing. The parking brake was still enagaged. After that, parked in gear, always.
You should never park a manual out of gear no matter how long it sits. My cars sit through entire winters in 1st gear. Also, depending on the incline you must have the parking brake ratcheted all the way up. Even one notch down will let the car roll.
Old 1/16/11, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by falhulk
Not true. An automatic in park is just that. The reason to engage the parking brake is to keep the pawl from getting locked in place. This would result in not being able to move from park. The emergency brake on an automatic is just that. Its not required for parking. You should use it on a hill for the reason I descibed.

Also, as far as I know, todays disc brakes dont require the parking brake to adjust (I know drum brakes do). I could be wrong though. I dont see that in any of the manuals for my cars though. Anyone see that in the 5.0 manual? It may be there and I am just overlooking.
Wrong on both points. You obviously haven't had a transmission or rear disk brakes apart, I have.

Yes, the parking brake will keep the pawl from jamming. Why does it jam? Because of the backlash in the mechanism. A little misalignment in the selector mechanism or outright failure and off the car rolls away endangering life and property.

When on a hill, regardless of being in an auto or manual you should engage the parking brake IN ADDITION to leaving it in gear (manual) or park (auto) -- it's good driving practise just like signalling and checking your blind spots. Same with turning your wheels in so the car swings in against the curb rather than rolling away down the hill. This is Driving 101.

As far as rear disks are concerned, there is an internal ratcheting mechanism; when you change the rear pads you have to twist back in the piston not just compress it like the normal front disk caliper. The parking brake ratchets this mechanism out; If you don't use your parking brake often or if you accidently have driven around with your parking brake on you will need to fully pull up and fully release you parking brake a number of times to properly adjust your parking brake.

This was personally underscored for me when I hit a large animal with my other Ford car with rear disks and manual trans, the tow truck driver forgot to take the parking brake off and then towed it 50 miles (I was pissed). It took so much off the rear pads I had to crank and release the hand brake about 10 times to get it to start grabbing again (I was out of town, I changed the brakes out when I got home).
Old 1/16/11, 02:50 PM
Banned

Page 212 of the Manual:

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED)
Driving with a 6–speed automatic transmission
Your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing
fuel usage while coasting or decelerating. When you take your foot off
the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down the torque
converter clutch locks up and aggressively shuts off fuel flow to the
engine while decelerating. This fuel economy benefit may be perceived
as a light to medium braking sensation when removing your foot from
the accelerator pedal.
This vehicle is equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy. The
adaptive transmission shift strategy offers the optimal transmission
operation and shift quality. When the engine is turned off, the shift data
which includes the adaptive information will be stored automatically in
the powertrain control module (PCM). If the battery is disconnected for
any reason, the stored information from the last time the key was turned
to off will be read. This way, no information will be lost with any battery
removal or battery disconnect.
P (Park)
This position locks the transmission
and prevents the rear wheels from
turning.
To put your vehicle in gear:
1. Start the engine.
2. Press the brake pedal.
3. Move the gearshift lever into the
desired gear.
To put your vehicle in P (Park):
1. Come to a complete stop.
2. Move the gearshift lever and securely latch it in P (Park).
WARNING:
Always set the parking brake fully and make sure
the gearshift is latched in P (Park). Turn the ignition to the off
position and remove the key whenever you leave your vehicle.

R (Reverse)
With the gearshift lever in R (Reverse), the vehicle will move backward.
Always come to a complete stop before shifting into and out of R
Old 1/16/11, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to sound like a smart ***...but it sounds like a lot of people really don't know how to use a parking brake. I haven't had any issues with mine at all. As others have stated, you have to use a parking brake on a daily basis to keep it functioning at a prime level. Those who have owned manuals a long time know the "parking brake" drill.

You pull the brake HARD to engage it and leave the car in gear. If you do that everyday, I bet you wouldn't have any issues with your brake.

Quick Reply: is there any Parking Brake issues with the 2011s?