2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tested out the GoPro with my GT today

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/13, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tested out the GoPro with my GT today

The suction cup mount worried me a bit, but it stayed in place so huzzah!

Old 9/22/13, 05:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Very cool. I always wanted to get one of those.
Old 9/22/13, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Use the gopro app on your smartphone or ipad to get a preview of your FOV. The app is very cool, way easier to quickly change settings. Tilt the camera back just a bit to get the windshield out of the frame and reduce the fisheye distortion effect. When I mount mine I always try and line up the frame to back edge of the hood vents.

One of the instructors at Boss Track Attack suggested the mount point of the driver 1/4 window. Gave a good perspective of the track and the driver too. Does require the 90 mount, but I leave that on all the time as it doesn't affect the vertical mounting position as you can just rotate the base.

If you haven't got the battery backpack yet, I recommend it. You can get about 3.5+ hours of continuous HD video with it.
Old 9/22/13, 07:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got bad news for you... You have a defected windshield haha. Car sounds good you can tell it's loud.
Old 9/22/13, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Thanks for the video. Allot of open driving where your at. I didn't see other cars. It almost looks like a driving paradise.
Your car is sweet.
Old 9/22/13, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
cool but it looks like your shadow won the race
Old 9/22/13, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WhatAMajesticMooseThatIs
The suction cup mount worried me a bit, but it stayed in place so huzzah! Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhm9zKyd7X0&feature
very nice. You can see mine as the second suggested video lol. I love my gopro!
Old 9/22/13, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Use the gopro app on your smartphone or ipad to get a preview of your FOV. The app is very cool, way easier to quickly change settings. Tilt the camera back just a bit to get the windshield out of the frame and reduce the fisheye distortion effect. When I mount mine I always try and line up the frame to back edge of the hood vents.

One of the instructors at Boss Track Attack suggested the mount point of the driver 1/4 window. Gave a good perspective of the track and the driver too. Does require the 90 mount, but I leave that on all the time as it doesn't affect the vertical mounting position as you can just rotate the base.

If you haven't got the battery backpack yet, I recommend it. You can get about 3.5+ hours of continuous HD video with it.
Good advice! I was trying to get the app to work while I was mounting it but it somehow got stuck on "waiting for preview" for 5+ minutes. I was losing daylight so I just hoped for the best.
Old 9/22/13, 02:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd sure like to get a GoPro with all the attachments. I've tried a couple of different cameras in my car but so far none have given the quality I'd like to achieve.

Personally, I like having the camera mounted inside the car, gives more of a driver or passenger perspective, as if you are riding in the car. And, of course, no worries about losing the camera!

By the way OP, what exhaust is on your car?

That's always the hardest thing to get, a good sound clip to go with the video. The latest GoPro cameras have an external mic port, want to have one with a mic taped back by the rear bumper, right between the exhaust outlets to try and get the best sound reproduction.
Old 9/22/13, 02:29 PM
V6 Member

awesome video...your car sounds perfect. very enjoyable to watch. thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 9/22/13, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I'd sure like to get a GoPro with all the attachments. I've tried a couple of different cameras in my car but so far none have given the quality I'd like to achieve.

Personally, I like having the camera mounted inside the car, gives more of a driver or passenger perspective, as if you are riding in the car. And, of course, no worries about losing the camera!

By the way OP, what exhaust is on your car?

That's always the hardest thing to get, a good sound clip to go with the video. The latest GoPro cameras have an external mic port, want to have one with a mic taped back by the rear bumper, right between the exhaust outlets to try and get the best sound reproduction.
The exhaust is Borla S-Type. I'm planning on getting some inside shots as well, I tend to like that perspective too since it's sort of a drivers POV.

For audio I actually used a Zoom H4N with two external mics. Placed on under the hood by the intake, one on the outside centered above the exhaust outlets, and then had a mic in the cabin.
Old 9/22/13, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

Exhaust sounds awesome. Also sounds like you're breathing through a scuba regulator.
Old 9/22/13, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TxAg98
Exhaust sounds awesome. Also sounds like you're breathing through a scuba regulator.
Thanks! That's actually intake noise you're hearing, I think. One mic was placed right by the intake which picked that up...
Old 9/23/13, 05:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Cockpit shots get boring fast, as it's just the same thing over and over, but with the outside mount you get more. Ideally you try to get multiple angles, and good video will have some post production editing.

I took many hours with my buddies hero2 until I got my own hero3 and had more time to experiment. The suction cup mount was fine up to 100mhp at the track, no problems!
Old 9/23/13, 04:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Very, very nice. I felt like I was right there with you. BTW, looks like your out in the mid-west with the flat land I see. We have just crossed through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico so it looks familiar.
Old 9/24/13, 09:14 AM
V6 Member

The nice thing about a vert is you can mount the camera on your roll bar to get a nice view of the car's path

A run through part of the South Dakota "Badlands"

A "poker run" through the "Black Hills" of South Dakota

A quick auto-cross run on the road course at Gateway Motorsports Park
Old 9/25/13, 05:54 PM

Nice video. Saw you posted this on Reddit the other day.
Old 9/26/13, 05:33 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool videos all, thanks for posting them. The car sounds great.
Old 9/26/13, 06:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nice videoooo
Old 10/2/13, 09:00 PM

where is this? beautiful beginning by the water. looks like a relaxing life!