****, brewsky, you got it rough. Way to tough it out

OP, sorry to hear. Hope you get better soon so you can get back in that Stang
Old 2/22/11, 11:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
**** shame
Old 2/24/11, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the moral support guys. The Odyssey feels like driving a warehouse compared to my 'vert, and my wife says that while driving the 'Stang feels like she's 3 inches off the ground.

But we've owned this Ody since new (87K now), and I am still amazed at what a sweet machine it is. Still, there seems to be some kind of crap flying around the floor in there every time I go around a turn.

I am also loving the temporary handicapped parking permit!

Also, I tossed the crutches aside and am now using a "knee cruiser" (Nova TKC-8), which is great for getting around the office & home. If only it had a little razor electric motor, I'd be all set...

Last edited by Double-EDad; 2/24/11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 2/24/11, 07:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
"knee cruiser" (Nova TKC-8), is
That's sounds like a 68 blown Nova !!!!
Old 2/24/11, 07:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the moral support guys.
Hey, no problemo bro, been there done that. Know exactly how you feel. I'm still in the process of weaning my Rivotril which i've been taking for 6 years now after getting some permanent nerv damage to my right calf due to my herniated dics. Could go on and on this topic......but it ain't related to cars so.....
Old 2/24/11, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies

Hey, no problemo bro, been there done that. Know exactly how you feel. I'm still in the process of weaning my Rivotril which i've been taking for 6 years now after getting some permanent nerv damage to my right calf due to my herniated dics. Could go on and on this topic......but it ain't related to cars so.....
Hey, I've got a herniated disk right now and my left leg has been completely numb since I got it a month ago...I thought the feeling would cone back...is it permanent?!
Old 2/24/11, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Gaspi101
Hey, I've got a herniated disk right now and my left leg has been completely numb since I got it a month ago...I thought the feeling would cone back...is it permanent?!
I don't have a numb leg, i have some muscle twitches in my right calf which have become incrontrollable due to my spine damage. I have learned to live with it pretty good, but don't need the meds anymore. I do some strectching, pysiotherapy, car waxing which relaxes me very much by the way.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 2/25/11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 2/25/11, 09:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Gaspi101
I hate to say it, but you need surgery pronto!! The initial numbness is temporary IF the root cause (the herniated disk) is corrected in a timely manner. It could very well result in permanent damage if left uncorrected! Nerve's don't 'heal'.

In fact, it's this kind of numbness/nerve issue (that you describe) that prompted my doctor into actually doing an MRI & performing the surgery, back in 2001. They didn't care that I was COMPLETELY incapacitated with pain; they only offered an MRI & surgery once I started having numbness/sciatica. The MRI showed the L4/L5 disk was herniated all over the place. AS SOON AS I WOKE UP from the surgery, I could feel the relief from the herniated disk pain (of course there was post-surgery back muscle pain/etc to recover from but I knew that would eventually go away, which it did). This surgery was the best thing I've ever done.

As Ben Stiller said in Starsky & Hutch: "Do it!"
Attached Images  

Last edited by Double-EDad; 2/25/11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 2/25/11, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
going back to the surgeon Monday to see if I am 100%! Can't wait to get off these crutches I have been walking on for over a month
Old 2/25/11, 11:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
going back to the surgeon Monday to see if I am 100%! Can't wait to get off these crutches I have been walking on for over a month
Dr. gave me choice of surgery (as you had) or just cast. Since I had the shoulder surgery upcoming I opted for just the cast. She said the surgery approach would require 4 weeks in a cast, followed by 4 more weeks in a special boot, whereas the cast method was just 8 straight weeks in a cast. I figured 4 + 4 still equalled 8. Oh well. Best of luck to you man, I know it'll be great to be back among the walking again!
Old 2/25/11, 03:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hate to say it, but you need surgery pronto!!
What he said......hurry........run Forest, run !!!

Seriously, go see a doctor, don't wait like i did cuz once the spinal cord get's damaged, it 'll be too late.
Old 2/25/11, 04:17 PM
V6 Member

Feel better soon, Double E.
Old 2/25/11, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

odd cause my surgeon said 6 weeks whether I do a cast or have the operation..
I am at 4 weeks not and its feels perfect!

Dr. gave me choice of surgery (as you had) or just cast. Since I had the shoulder surgery upcoming I opted for just the cast. She said the surgery approach would require 4 weeks in a cast, followed by 4 more weeks in a special boot, whereas the cast method was just 8 straight weeks in a cast. I figured 4 + 4 still equalled 8. Oh well. Best of luck to you man, I know it'll be great to be back among the walking again!
Old 2/25/11, 05:52 PM
GT Member

I hate to say it, but you need surgery pronto!! The initial numbness is temporary IF the root cause (the herniated disk) is corrected in a timely manner. It could very well result in permanent damage if left uncorrected! Nerve's don't 'heal'.

In fact, it's this kind of numbness/nerve issue (that you describe) that prompted my doctor into actually doing an MRI & performing the surgery, back in 2001. They didn't care that I was COMPLETELY incapacitated with pain; they only offered an MRI & surgery once I started having numbness/sciatica. The MRI showed the L4/L5 disk was herniated all over the place. AS SOON AS I WOKE UP from the surgery, I could feel the relief from the herniated disk pain (of course there was post-surgery back muscle pain/etc to recover from but I knew that would eventually go away, which it did). This surgery was the best thing I've ever done.

As Ben Stiller said in Starsky & Hutch: "Do it!"
Thanks for this! I actually saw a great spinal surgeon that immediately do an MRI, and it's quite messed up, there's a good size meningeal tear. But they said that in 90% of the cases it corrects itself with physical therapy, which I'm about to start. They gave me two epidurals which has completely taken care of the ridiculous amount of pain. I certainly hope I won't need surgery!
Old 2/25/11, 05:54 PM
GT Member

Weird that we've hijacked the thread, but while we're at it...
Attached Images  
Old 2/25/11, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Dude, I hope you get better....and back on the road!
Old 3/21/11, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Whats your latest? I am at 8 weeks and soon will be able to just walk on the boot without crutches. What a long healing time.. Jeeze.. I am going back April 11th for the final dr's visit and I think Ill be 100% by then. A total of almost 12 weeks.

Old 3/22/11, 10:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
Whats your latest? I am at 8 weeks and soon will be able to just walk on the boot without crutches. What a long healing time.. Jeeze.. I am going back April 11th for the final dr's visit and I think Ill be 100% by then. A total of almost 12 weeks.
Your question is timed well - Saw Dr. today for my 4-week follow-up . The good news is: they took off the cast!

The bad news: it’s because healing isn’t progressing as quickly as the doctor wanted, so they put me in one of those walking “boots” (but I have strict instructions not to walk on it). The boot is because they are going to have me use a “bone growth stimulator” once a day for 20 minutes each day to see if they can get me back on the healing track, and the bone stimulator can’t be used with a cast.

So I still have my “knee walker” and I go back in a month for another evaluation and more x-rays. 3 weeks ‘til my shoulder surgery. Yay.

This kind of injury takes a LONG time to heal because there just isn’t much blood supply to that area. Back in my prime (I was 27-28), I had the same exact injury to my right foot, it was 8 weeks in a cast, followed by 6 weeks in a hard shoe/boot, followed by 6 more weeks of no sports. Since I am now 48 I am not surprised at my setback.

Today is Day 32 of not driving my GT. And counting.
Old 3/22/11, 05:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have this dream........not going through the same nightmare you are.
Keep the faith bro, i've been through rough times as well. I know how you feel. Their will be a light at the end of that tunnel.

32 days without driving your 'Stang right, well i'm now in my 114th day just staring at it in the garage. Just sayin'...
Old 3/22/11, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I empathize. I broke my arm last summer. I don't know what was worse, not being able to drive my toys (all sticks) or that itchy case. (But at least I was able to find a solution for the itchy cast!)

Best wishes.

Quick Reply: Tale of Woe - Can't Drive My GT!