2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tale of Woe - Can't Drive My GT!

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/11, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tale of Woe - Can't Drive My GT!

Long story short, I broke a bone in my left foot Friday night (5th metatarsal). Freak injury, just took awkward step, and <SNAP!>. Urgent Care x-ray confirmed break (as if the pain + swelling didn't). Local ortho can't see me until tomorrow, but I've had this injury 21 years ago in my other foot, and back then it required 12 weeks in a cast + 6 more weeks in a special hard-soled shoe, even tho I was only 27 years old.

So my beloved 6MT GT must sit! ARRGH, already having withdrawals. Have decided to get a rental car with an automatic, but choices are limited. I knew that with a bad arthritic right shoulder (surgery was already scheduled 3/23) and left knee (had surgery in 1995), my next car was likely destined to be an automatic. So now I am considering taking my car up to the dealer and trading it in for a slushbox coupe. I know those are fast as heck and shift well. Opinions? Anyone want to trade me their 6AT GT for my 6MT 'vert for 2 or 3 months?

Last edited by Double-EDad; 2/21/11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2/21/11, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch! Hope for a speedy recovery!

I'd see what kind of beating you'd take on the vert. I know you have been wanting a coupe for a while now, so it can't hurt to look into it. Especially if you're looking at a hefty rental charge!
Old 2/21/11, 10:37 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
I'd see what kind of beating you'd take on the vert.
That's what I'd be worried about also - even though you've got a brand-new car I'd be worried about getting hammered on depreciation so fast.

But if your injury is not short-term and you won't be able to drive a manual anymore... not a lot of choices... no point having your beautiful 6MT just sitting in a garage!
Old 2/21/11, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to my world! Mine is permanent though. Osteoarthritis and torn cartilage in the left knee will make you an AT driver for life. Had to dump my '04 GT with only 10K miles on it when the injury took hold, so I know your pain. I traded up for a '03 AT Mach 1 with 12K miles. So my advice is, treat yourslef to an upgrade!
Old 2/21/11, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I'll trade you my 06 auto gt for a few months
Old 2/21/11, 01:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove both, and own the auto, with a tuner, the auto shifts as hard and faster than the manual.. To each is his own i guess, but i love my GT auto..

I see how bad of a beating they give you on the vert....
Old 2/21/11, 01:51 PM
Cobra R Member

OK, the problem has been resolved in the near-term: my wife will drive (and transport the kids in) my GT, and I'll drive her Honda minivan, at least for the next week or two. Wow, talk about incentive for recovery! Just joking, I know she will take good care of it. Her misgiving was not being able to back it into the garage as I always do. So we agreed to park her Ody outside, and she can pull the Mustang straight in.

So maybe this will resolve things for awhile. I hope. The hardest thing will be the inability to wash either car for awhile. The kids are learning, but so far haven't met my quality standards.
Old 2/21/11, 02:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh man, i feel for 'ya. First it was the stupid deers, then this ! First of, wish you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well.
I was in the same boat back in 2006 when owning my 1988 5MT LX Notch 5.0 and starting on my 1969 Mach1 rotisserie project....
I've had to stop working for 2 months after severe back problems. I had 2 herniated discs, L4-L5, L5-S1, and was on pain killers ( dilaudid...10X stronger than morphine) 24/7 for a whole year. I could barely stand for more than 5 minutes , obviously driving the 'Stang was out of the equation, so it sat in the garage for 6 months, as for my '69 project, it was put on ice and started later with the help of my two buddy friends.
Glad you find a compromise for the time being by switching rides with wifey !
I say don't do anything as far as trying to sell the car right now. Wait, let dust settle for a while, and see how things go down the road.
Good luck with the recovery.....
Old 2/21/11, 06:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Oh man, i feel for 'ya. First it was the stupid deers, then this ! First of, wish you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well.
I was in the same boat back in 2006 when owning my 1988 5MT LX Notch 5.0 and starting on my 1969 Mach1 rotisserie project....
I've had to stop working for 2 months after severe back problems. I had 2 herniated discs, L4-L5, L5-S1, and was on pain killers ( dilaudid...10X stronger than morphine) 24/7 for a whole year. I could barely stand for more than 5 minutes , obviously driving the 'Stang was out of the equation, so it sat in the garage for 6 months, as for my '69 project, it was put on ice and started later with the help of my two buddy friends.
Glad you find a compromise for the time being by switching rides with wifey !
I say don't do anything as far as trying to sell the car right now. Wait, let dust settle for a while, and see how things go down the road.
Good luck with the recovery.....
Thanks, man. I had the L4/L5 surgery back in July 2001, had a slight recurrence over the past 2 years, and have been nursing that along with my Chiropractor. Dilaudid is great stuff, only thing that works for me. Getting the feeling lately that I am falling apart: I already had shoulder surgery scheduled for March, and was trying to figure out how I was going to get thru that! My wife is a good driver, so no worries there, thankfully.
Old 2/21/11, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
wow.. Same foot and same bone as me.. Broke mine Jan 22 and got it operated on the 26th with a screw down the center to mend it. Off it completely for a month and going back to the orthopedic surgeon the 28th to see if I can get out of the Frankenstein boot and use it. No driving my mustang till next month.
Old 2/21/11, 06:27 PM
GT Member

Sorry to hear, but take care of it for now, so when to hit the track in a few months you have any pain from the G's.

Get well soon!
Old 2/21/11, 06:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Thanks, man. I had the L4/L5 surgery back in July 2001, had a slight recurrence over the past 2 years, and have been nursing that along with my Chiropractor. Dilaudid is great stuff, only thing that works for me. Getting the feeling lately that I am falling apart: I already had shoulder surgery scheduled for March, and was trying to figure out how I was going to get thru that! My wife is a good driver, so no worries there, thankfully.
The only thing that kept me going during that rough period was thinking that their would be light at the end of the tunnel and resume normal life with wife and kids.
Keep the faith bro.
Old 2/21/11, 06:30 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Sorry to hear about your foot Eric. And all the others with messed up feet .

I'm very old....I think i'll got out on the back porch and tap dance.......
Old 2/21/11, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, I also had L5-S1 surgery last September (my second in the last year), and have finally gotten back to living, so I rewarded myself with a new shiny stang. I still cant sit in a normal chair yet, though, has to be reclined back. My knee problem is barely a blip on the radar compared to these back issues. FML!!!

Oh yea, I was on Dilaudid 2mg (generic name for morphine, by the way) and it didnt do anything for me. Was taking 2 x percosets 5-325mg, 1 x valium 5mg, and gabapentin 100mg for relief 3 x day. For a year, almost to the day. It only helped maybe 1/2 the time anyways, that pain was unbelievable. Now trying to get off the junk!!!!

Last edited by brewsky54; 2/21/11 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2/22/11, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Dude. I am so sorry

I thought I had it bad cause I couldn't drive this weekend when it was 60 outside because I was sick. Thanks for making me feel better

On the bright side you should be back in the saddle right in the beginning of the prime top down weather.

And if you get desperate, you could always have your wife come pick you up from work in the stang And drive you around in the ***** seat

But get well soon and let me know if you need anything.
Old 2/22/11, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eric, I hope you heal up quickly. After a few months of driving the Mustang, your wife may not want to swap vehicles again!
Old 2/22/11, 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by brewsky54
Oh yea, I was on Dilaudid 2mg (generic name for morphine, by the way) and it didnt do anything for me. Was taking 2 x percosets 5-325mg, 1 x valium 5mg, and gabapentin 100mg for relief 3 x day. For a year, almost to the day. It only helped maybe 1/2 the time anyways, that pain was unbelievable. Now trying to get off the junk!!!!
From my research, Dilaudid is a form of heroin and is definitely not morphine. Morphine does nothing for me, whereas Dilaudid brings great comfort. As you pointed out, the problem is one of dependence with that stuff!

Just got home from doctor. Got a nice Kona Blue fiberglass cast installed over my entire lower left leg. Will have that for 8 weeks & the doctor said no clutches until the cast comes off. The good news is that the insurance will cover a "knee walker" (in lieu of crutches). Now, if I could only figure out a way to install a Coyote 5.0 in that knee walker...

Thanks for the ideas Shotzy. I'm sure she will let me ride in the FRONT seat. Man, I am going to miss my Sync....

Last edited by Double-EDad; 2/22/11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 2/22/11, 01:45 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL, already got the frantic call from my wife this afternoon: "How do I get this thing in REVERSE?!?"

Once I told her she was good to go. I think the nervousness factor will decrease with time (she knows I am fastidious about my car and I am trying to let her know not to worry)...
Old 2/22/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Ha! My wife doesn't dare drive my stang, she is terrified by the low ride height, plus scared that she'll damage it too. Bad combo. Good for me though!

Yeah my neurosurgeon told me what I told you about the Dilaudid, so I poked around on the net for some more info. Looks like percoset and dilaudid are both forms of opiates, just in different strengths and different chemical alterations. Also read that dilaudid was 5-8 times stronger than morphine by weight. Its some heavy duty stuff! Glad you found your happy place, I never really found mine. Good luck brother!
Old 2/22/11, 08:11 PM
GT Member

I have a badly herniated disk, and oddly enough, the bucket seat of the stang feels better than lying down!

Quick Reply: Tale of Woe - Can't Drive My GT!