2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Taking on Palomar Mountain South Grade

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/11, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking on Palomar Mountain South Grade

A few friends and I took a drive up the South Grade of Palomar Mountain this weekend. It was my first time up the mountain and my first time putting the 5.0 through some turns. There happened to be some photographers on the road taking some pictures. I was able to track down a few of them. Here are the results from http://www.rickclemson.com/ ... Found a few more. So maybe more to come.

Map of the road...

The turns...

Old 9/26/11, 01:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Looks like a fun road.
Old 9/26/11, 03:04 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I likie those wheels
Old 9/26/11, 11:10 AM
MOTM Committee Member

I may have to take a gander at that road! Thanks for sharing
Old 9/26/11, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I likie those wheels
They look like these SVT/Ford Racing wheels. I just bought those to be my winter wheels, but now that I see them on your car, which is the same color as mine, I almost like them more than my 18" stockers. Maybe I need to switch them so the stock wheels use the winter tires!
Old 9/26/11, 01:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh Man!!! give me this road and a Watts Link equipped 5.0 and I'll be one happy man.
Old 9/26/11, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great road! I drove about 2 hours from Orange County area, only to be greeted to several SUVs that would not pull over at turnouts. Finally I decided to pull over, wait 10 minutes, and then blast through the rest of the road without any obstacles.

Slower traffic use turnouts, it's the law!
Old 9/26/11, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Maybe I need to switch them so the stock wheels use the winter tires!
Have got nothing, but praise and with these wheels. Super happy with them. Sometimes I do wish they were matte so they don't make my tires look so dull when my car isn't clean.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I may have to take a gander at that road! Thanks for sharing
It's fun, but sure is busy. You can head up the South Grade or the East Grade. Even from the West looks like fun. Any other roads you recommend?

Originally Posted by jedikd
I decided to pull over, wait 10 minutes, and then blast through the rest of the road without any obstacles.
I know what you mean. We got stuck behind this small white car for what felt like a good 5mi on our drive to the base of the mountain. It was so frustrating we did the same thing and pulled over for 5 min and then caught back up to the same car . Once we were on the mountain most cars/trucks are good about getting over, but a few just don't get it.

Any other roads down here in Southern California? I lived in Orange County for a few years and did Trabuco Canyon a few times, but always looking for good drives.
Old 9/26/11, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That looked like a lot of fun!
Old 9/26/11, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stick
I know what you mean. We got stuck behind this small white car for what felt like a good 5mi on our drive to the base of the mountain. It was so frustrating we did the same thing and pulled over for 5 min and then caught back up to the same car . Once we were on the mountain most cars/trucks are good about getting over, but a few just don't get it.

Any other roads down here in Southern California? I lived in Orange County for a few years and did Trabuco Canyon a few times, but always looking for good drives.
Ortega Hwy between the 5 Fwy and Lake Elsinore can be good if you go at a odd-time when there's no traffic. Out east a bit there's also Glendora Mountain Road, and all of the canyons in Malibu are also great if there's not too many bikes.

Check out http://www.lateralg.com, they do a great job of catalogging and reviewing the driving roads in California.
Old 9/26/11, 09:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Ortega Hwy between the 5 Fwy and Lake Elsinore can be good if you go at a odd-time when there's no traffic. Out east a bit there's also Glendora Mountain Road, and all of the canyons in Malibu are also great if there's not too many bikes.

Check out http://www.lateralg.com, they do a great job of catalogging and reviewing the driving roads in California.
yup that's what I was going to suggest, GMR and malibu