sync upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/17, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sync upgrade

I have a nav car.
Gen1 4.2.1.t dl3t-14dD44-AD

On the web site there are 2 upgrades. I downloaded the first one and never installed it. Now I can download it again.

i can download the 2nd one but it says to run the sync report before installing it which i cant do since the sync subscription has run out and you can resubscribe. Can you go form the DL3T-14D544-AD TO DL3T-14D544-AG
without installing the previous version and running the sync health report?
Old 11/21/17, 04:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm not aware of the sync subscription can expire.
Old 11/21/17, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rick57
I have a nav car.
Gen1 4.2.1.t dl3t-14dD44-AD

On the web site there are 2 upgrades. I downloaded the first one and never installed it. Now I can download it again.

i can download the 2nd one but it says to run the sync report before installing it which i cant do since the sync subscription has run out and you can resubscribe. Can you go form the DL3T-14D544-AD TO DL3T-14D544-AG
without installing the previous version and running the sync health report?
Long story short, you can do this but I don't recommend upgrading. I sent you aPM with more info.
Old 11/23/17, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Long story short, you can do this but I don't recommend upgrading. I sent you aPM with more info.
Send me a PM with more info please. Thanks!
Old 11/23/17, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

JonsMustang,

I decided I'd rather publish the information, so here goes:

To answer the question, yes you can upgrade directly.

I did this and I really regret it. I have been trying to figure out a way to downgrade back to 4.2.1.T.

If you are dead set on upgrading, I'd recommend replacing the sync module with one from eBay so you can go back to 4.2.1.T by reinstalling your original module.

The reasons I have been disappointed with the upgrades:
  1. I was trying to use Slacker Radio with AppLink, and as it turns out the problems were with the phone app, so I never really needed to upgrade. I don't remember any problems related to 4.2.1.T directly.
  2. I was trying to use Slacker Radio with AppLink, and as it turns out the problems were with the phone app, so I never really needed to upgrade. I don't remember any problems related to 4.2.1.T directly.
    Every time they fix something, they break something else:
    a. I can't remember what they broke with 4.4, but whatever it was, they pulled it and replaced it with 4.6.
    b. In 4.6, they completely broke Siri on iOS and claimed it was on purpose. I'm talking about not being able to use Siri at all (even directly from the phone) if the phone is paired with the car. Totally unacceptable. You used to be able to touch the home button and tell Siri, for example, "Navigate to Walmart" and it would work, as opposed to going through 16 menus on the SYNC Nav system to find a Walmart. Or simply, "Tell Mom I'm going to be late" so you aren't tempted to text and drive.
  3. Unless you save the install files, you cannot go back. Which means I can never go back to 4.2.1.T which was fine. They still tell you don't use a prior install but installing 4.4 gave me Siri back. It's just that it's super slow now compared to 4.2.1.T.

Does anyone know if you can go back to 4.2.1.T if you bought an unmolested SYNC module and replaced the updated one? Does the donor need to be configured similarly to the car that's being downdated? The dealer says Ford will not provide the 4.2.1.T files and a new module needs to be programmed to the car. Anyone have any insight?
The following users liked this post:
JonsMustang (11/27/17)
Old 11/24/17, 03:37 AM

I don't know much about this but, my wife just switched to Apple products. They're is an update to our 2014 Edge SYNC. I am a Member of a Ford Edge Forum and some people are trying to go back to the old update because they have lost the use of Siri. A few people have gotten their Ford dealer to install one of the old up dates for something like $200 . We 'are not' going to do the up date
Old 11/24/17, 05:56 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
So if I still have the older version install package will it let me go back? I kinda miss my Siri connection. Not sure the last update did much good. My Bluetooth connection seems better, but my phone functions are a mess.
Old 11/26/17, 12:19 PM
GT Member

delete this one please

delete this one please

Last edited by rick57; 11/26/17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11/26/17, 12:21 PM
GT Member

i wasnt too hot on upgrading anyway

I wasnt too hot on upgrading anyway it works fine for me which is why i lost the other upgrade thing i thought. Buy looking back on my back ups i found one downloaded in september which must be the orginal I dont think i downloaded both at that time so possibly there was only one upgrade even though 2 are listed?. I dont drive it much its my fun car. Most upgades on anything i find do more harm than good.
My brother had a challenger scat pac shaker and did the upgrade on his car now its all messed up. it wont go into sport mode at all. and maybe a few other things. He is still trying to get it fixed after a month or more.
so. they tell him to do a video of what its doing and he says look at the 15s problem thats what his is doing. but then that say no the 16s dont do that only the 15
I have been looking around to see actually what its supposed to fix. I havent had any problems with whats there now. I guess ill keep looking for what its suppose to fix and try and see if mine does them
Old 11/26/17, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
So if I still have the older version install package will it let me go back? I kinda miss my Siri connection. Not sure the last update did much good. My Bluetooth connection seems better, but my phone functions are a mess.
I was able to install 4.4 over 4.6. Nothing "seems" broken, just very slow to switch audio sources.

I don't remember it being this slow with 4.2.1.T.
Old 11/26/17, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wasnt too hot on upgrading anyway it works fine for me which is why i lost the other upgrade thing i thought. Buy looking back on my back ups i found one downloaded in september which must be the orginal I dont think i downloaded both at that time so possibly there was only one upgrade even though 2 are listed?. I dont drive it much its my fun car. Most upgades on anything i find do more harm than good.
My brother had a challenger scat pac shaker and did the upgrade on his car now its all messed up. it wont go into sport mode at all. and maybe a few other things. He is still trying to get it fixed after a month or more.
so. they tell him to do a video of what its doing and he says look at the 15s problem thats what his is doing. but then that say no the 16s dont do that only the 15
I have been looking around to see actually what its supposed to fix. I havent had any problems with whats there now. I guess ill keep looking for what its suppose to fix and try and see if mine does them
Unzip them and tell us the part numbers that come up. I think if it ends in AG it's 4.6 and AE is 4.4. And if anyone has the AD install please PM me.

I'm in the software industry and upgrades are not supposed to be this way. Somehow the auto manufacturers must not have gotten the message.
Old 11/26/17, 02:05 PM
GT Member

all the ones i have say ag

all the ones i have say ag
Old 11/26/17, 02:13 PM
GT Member

sync expire

On the myford it says sync will expire for all 14s and not supported anymore
Old 12/1/17, 01:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
On the myford it says sync will expire for all 14s and not supported anymore
Rick, I think they are talking about the part where you could contact a SYNC agent through the "Directions/Connections". The system itself will still function as usual. At least that's the way I understand the situation.
David Young (12/4/17)
Old 12/3/17, 03:54 AM

Rick, SYNC will still be working. The maps in my factory GPS are from 2009 or older . It still works good enough for me . Your SYNC might not get any more up dates but, it will still work as it is now. If this makes any sense
wanted33 (12/3/17)
Old 12/3/17, 07:55 PM
GT Member

sync expire

I cant do the health reports now that part is expired. I dont know if theres any thing else that was connected to.
but i just found this out since i have only done that like 3 or 4 times.
and now only about the update which i decided against doing
Old 12/4/17, 04:45 AM

I cant do the health reports now that part is expired. I dont know if theres any thing else that was connected to.
but i just found this out since i have only done that like 3 or 4 times.
and now only about the update which i decided against doing
I thought my health report function had expired but I had forgotten I changed phones with a new number. Changed the phone number at Ford Owners web site and all is working again. Does your cell phone number match the cell phone number on the Ford Owners web site?
wanted33 (12/4/17)