Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync turn by turn

Old 6/17/10, 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
So I got my "Sync My Ride" account set up and tried out the turn-by-turn . . . first pleasant surprise was I could activate the account no problem, even though I bought the car used, and it is good until August 2012. (yes after that I assume you have to pay)

The turn-by-turn worked quite well on my way to work; it even picked my known best route (a good back-road, Mapquest picks the highway which is a little longer) . . . all the prompts were right on, and I can confirm it does have it's own GPS built in since it can't be using the one in my phone because it is not enabled.

However, I don't think I'd want to go blind with only turn-by-turn if I was going somewhere I'd never been before . . . it doesn't give you any context of where you are or what's next; I'm a visual person so I need to see maps . . . so if I do a road trip where I am not familiar, I will use the turn-by-turn but will also have a map handy . . .

So, if you want a nav system for a lot of road trips, that you will rely on without paper maps, I think you want the EP; if you just want voice instructions to help remind you when to turn, or confirm what you see on a map, then the basic Sync system is fine.
Old 6/17/10, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the EP because it was on the car in the lot and I got it for half price, got and extra $1000 off below invoice. I love it. In my two short trips so far it has help me get around one accident in I95 and saved at least and hours wait and let me know of an accident in front of me so I got prepared for a slow down. The EP also lets you watch DVD's and get real time weather radar. In preparing to buy a Fusion I will probably not even get the SYNC. $545 option, and go with an aftermarket GPR/radio to get similiar performance to the EP. BTW, I got the rear view camera which has also spoiled me.
Old 6/17/10, 07:05 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, I just like how the EP looks in the dash over the standard stack. I also like being able to load CDs into the car (probably one of the two people without an iPod) on the hard drive. The map is pretty and I also like the dual zone climate control.
Old 6/17/10, 07:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by emilram11
You have to pay for Sync after 3 years? I've never heard anything about that if its true!
NO .. you have to pay for Turn by Turn directions .... not Sync ...
Old 6/17/10, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I've used it a bunch of times now for both addresses saved in my syncmyride account as well as called for addresses, and it has worked flawlessly. I have even callled for a business location and it found it no problem. The thing I like about the services call-in is that it is constantly updated with POI's.
Old 6/17/10, 09:29 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmhines
NO .. you have to pay for Turn by Turn directions .... not Sync ...
Oh ok. Any other Sync features that will cost later?
Old 6/18/10, 07:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by emilram11
Oh ok. Any other Sync features that will cost later?
It looks like only the turn by turn.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...aspx?faqId=135

Is there a monthly fee to use SYNC?
There are no monthly fees to use SYNC's hands-free features, 911 Assist, and Vehicle Health Report, aside from the regular fees you already pay your wireless phone provider for your particular calling plan.

SYNC's Traffic, Directions and Information service is available as a complimentary 3-year subscription* for owners of new vehicles equipped with the service.

Renewal subscriptions and subscriptions for second owners, or owners who wish to add an additional phone to the service cost $60/year.

*Message and Data Rates May Apply.
Old 6/18/10, 08:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddyLX
It looks like only the turn by turn.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...aspx?faqId=135

Is there a monthly fee to use SYNC?
There are no monthly fees to use SYNC's hands-free features, 911 Assist, and Vehicle Health Report, aside from the regular fees you already pay your wireless phone provider for your particular calling plan.

SYNC's Traffic, Directions and Information service is available as a complimentary 3-year subscription* for owners of new vehicles equipped with the service.

Renewal subscriptions and subscriptions for second owners, or owners who wish to add an additional phone to the service cost $60/year.

*Message and Data Rates May Apply.
$60 per year is more than I expected ....
Old 6/18/10, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
$60 per year is more than I expected ....
$5 a month is still less than the $10 verizon wants to charge for the GPS app on its phones.
Old 6/18/10, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
$5 a month is still less than the $10 verizon wants to charge for the GPS app on its phones.
FWIW, If you get a Sprint phone with a data plan, the navigation is a free program and it works perfectly.
Old 6/18/10, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

Electronics package is pretty awesome. Tons of features and the screen is amazing. Anyone that has been inside my car comments on the interior and the NAV right away. Only issue is that living in Canada - none of the neat features like weather, traffic, vehicle health report, work. Maybe someday they'll license it for way up here.....
Old 6/18/10, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by csledd
I didn't get the electronics package because I just use my Droid. But having GPS that talks to you is a life safer!
+1, Driod nav > EP in a cost vs functionality assessment.

EP > Droid in a looks sweet and I don't care about money assessment.

Android nav is free
Old 6/18/10, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey

Android nav is free
Droid nav got me lost last week. It ain't that great. And if your stereo is at any kind of listening level, the speaker on the droid won't silence it to give you your directions. The screen is tiny. The voice is robotic. I'd only consider this a solution if I didn't have $100 for a Garmin. But I bought the EP so I'm already a happy camper.
Old 6/18/10, 11:40 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Droid nav got me lost last week. It ain't that great. And if your stereo is at any kind of listening level, the speaker on the droid won't silence it to give you your directions. The screen is tiny. The voice is robotic. I'd only consider this a solution if I didn't have $100 for a Garmin. But I bought the EP so I'm already a happy camper.
+1

EP > Droid
Old 6/18/10, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey

Comparing a Droid to the droid to the EP is apples/oranges. You get a lot more functionality/features from the EP than you do from a smartphone.

And buying the EP is not because you don't care about the money. Everyone puts a different value on certain options.

For me the EP is worth it because i'm a gadget person, I like the screen, I would pay for the travel link, and the GPS is just a bonus. I see the value in it and i'm willing to pay for it.
Old 8/8/10, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

I ended up getting the Electronics Pack.... OUT-FREAKIN'-STANDING!!!! One of the cars many great features.
Old 8/9/10, 06:11 AM
GT Member

+1 for the Moto Droid. Got the OEM car dock from Verizon so the Droid is suctioned to the windshield and hangs right below the rear-view mirror. One cord does hang cause I plug it into the 12V hookup above the radio, but it is not too bad. Screen is just fine size-wise and a quick glance at the rear view mirror has me looking at my nav unit as well
Old 8/9/10, 02:22 PM
GT Member

The Ford NAV is nearly as good as the Honda NAV in my Acura. The larger screen helps me find short-cuts around shore traffic when the friggin shoebies from PA invade my state and clog up all our roads...
Old 8/9/10, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

sorry double post

Last edited by GJM20115.0; 8/9/10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 8/9/10, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Not impressed with SYNC. I'm tired of repeating myself to the dumb b#$@!. I could have done it faster myself-(I don't have nav.). Ok, I am approaching ole fart territory, but seriously, I wouldn't pay 2cents for it

O yeah....and everyone tells me my blue tooth sounds like CRAP..so I quit using it.

P.S. I LOVE THE CAR !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sync turn by turn