The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Sync turn by turn (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/sync-turn-turn-484457/)

eric n 6/16/10 03:15 PM

Sync turn by turn

For those of you who have experience, how advantageous is it to get the electronics package? It would seem the turn by turn sync feature along with the business search function would pretty much do the job.

If you have any insight, please chime in. I apologize if this is a previously inquiry, I did a search and came up with nothing.

csledd 6/16/10 03:17 PM

I didn't get the electronics package because I just use my Droid. But having GPS that talks to you is a life safer!

Bert 6/16/10 03:36 PM

I haven't tried it yet . . . but I think having the map on the screen would be a LOT better than just having an occaisional voice telling you what to do.

But one thing I was wondering, hopefully someone can chime in, does the car have a GPS built in, or does it somehow use the GPS in your cell phone? If it uses the GPS in the cell phone, how can it do that without constantly connecting to the cell phone? (I guess maybe bluetooth is the magic behind that connection) . . . the reason I ask is, my cell phone (blackberry) is provided by the company I work for, and the GPS feature is not turned on (extra cost, rejected), so that probably means the turn-by-turn will not work.

I guess I should just try it and see what happens . . .

stangfoeva 6/16/10 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 5892906)
I haven't tried it yet . . . but I think having the map on the screen would be a LOT better than just having an occaisional voice telling you what to do.

But one thing I was wondering, hopefully someone can chime in, does the car have a GPS built in, or does it somehow use the GPS in your cell phone? If it uses the GPS in the cell phone, how can it do that without constantly connecting to the cell phone? (I guess maybe bluetooth is the magic behind that connection) . . . the reason I ask is, my cell phone (blackberry) is provided by the company I work for, and the GPS feature is not turned on (extra cost, rejected), so that probably means the turn-by-turn will not work.

It has built in GPS for the EP, I'd guess the same for the turn by turn.

If all you need are directions then the EP may not be for you. But I like it for that and its other features

David Young 6/16/10 04:20 PM

I like mine. I use it just for 'fun' and to learn how to use it sometimes. When i don't need it, i just turn it off.

db2797 6/16/10 04:28 PM

Let me put it to you this way...I originally was going to buy my car without the EP. I figured the turn by turn would be good enough. Couldn't justify spending the 2 grand I told myself. I have a droid too...so why would I buy it? Well at the last minute I decided to add it. Now that I have it, I can't imagine not having it. The visuals and ease of use of having the navigation screen just don't match in any way to only having the voice turn by turn or using the itty bitty droid screen.

So...for people that have never used the EP, it's hard to justify spending the money. But once you have it, you freakn' love it. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find somebody saying they regretted getting it.

ireallycare 6/16/10 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by csledd (Post 5892891)
I didn't get the electronics package because I just use my Droid. But having GPS that talks to you is a life safer!

My Garmin talks to me.. and it was $60 used on Amazon...

db2797, there's no doubt that the EP is neat. Of course people who haven't tried it won't want it, because IMO, it isn't worth the money.

db2797 6/16/10 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ireallycare (Post 5892953)
My Garmin talks to me.. and it was $60 used on Amazon...

db2797, there's no doubt that the EP is neat. Of course people who haven't tried it won't want it, because IMO, it isn't worth the money.

But that's exactly my point. Talk to somebody that buys economy cars and they will tell you that spending 25 grand on a daily driver Mustang isn't worth the money. Are they correct? They just might be? :dunno: "Value" is all relative to the eye of the beholder. I'm a tech geek...so for me, the EP IS worth the money.

Karpro 6/16/10 04:58 PM

Sync uses your phone to call it's system and download the route to the car. Once the route is downloaded 2-3 minutes you are no longer using your airtime. You don't need the GPS feature on your phone.

nitrous 6/16/10 05:21 PM

Sync turn by turn

You don't need to pay $2K for the electronics package navigation to get turn by turn directions.
If you have Sync, you get "turn by turn" spoken directions for free for 3 years. No need to pay more (unless you want to view a map on the center screen.)

dmhines 6/16/10 06:20 PM

Turn by Turn actually works really good. I have a TomTom if I really feel the need to see the Map as I'm driving. But the Sync Turn by Turn gives plenty of instructions and turn warnings so that you don't miss your road. They have also added Sports score lookup, Stock Quotes, Hotel Booking, and other stuff to the Sync Services menu. The Nav unit definitely LOOKS COOLER ... but is it worth $2K+ ... don't think so.

pony racer 6/16/10 07:09 PM

that would be the EX-wife, and yes GPS is much better.. at least it doesnt call you a stupid @(#&$0!#&$@*(@&$%*&#!@# idiot when you miss the turn...

BOOMER: i hope you like i censored myself!! ;)

laserred38 6/16/10 07:11 PM

After working for a car manufacturer, I can attest to the cost of electronic packages. The screen, custom harness, different center console, etc probably add up to at least $1500 from Ford's suppliers. They aren't making much off that option.

CG205 6/16/10 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by db2797 (Post 5892947)
Let me put it to you this way...I originally was going to buy my car without the EP. I figured the turn by turn would be good enough. Couldn't justify spending the 2 grand I told myself. I have a droid too...so why would I buy it? Well at the last minute I decided to add it. Now that I have it, I can't imagine not having it. The visuals and ease of use of having the navigation screen just don't match in any way to only having the voice turn by turn or using the itty bitty droid screen.

So...for people that have never used the EP, it's hard to justify spending the money. But once you have it, you freakn' love it. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find somebody saying they regretted getting it.

Not too hard pressed....I regret getting it in my MKZ. Not getting it in my GT Premium Vert, saving $2K and using a TomTom. You can buy a new TomTom every year for what one update from FoMoCo charges you. And the last few I've gotten haven't been that accurate.

2010MustangGT 6/16/10 08:42 PM

You basically get all the features of the EP for free with sync, just there's no screen. And no digital climate control... which isn't worth $2,350.

I've used the Sync Navigation 7-8 times now, and it's not 'just a voice' it also pops up in the display screen with what street to turn, how many feet... etc... plus you'll soon be able to link into google maps directions via sync for sure-proof directions. but along with Nav, You get traffic monitoring, sports, news, business locater, movies,- show times, stock market qutoes, restaurants, horoscopes, etc...

In the same notion tho, if you miss their directions, or turns, it takes a solid 30 seconds for it to re route itself.

Granted the EP will get it done sooner and maybe a bit more efficient, but for me I saved on the EP and got the shaker 1000 instead. As I don't to any in depth traveling which requires me to use the nav more than maybe once a month... Which the SYNC did very well and I'm satisfied with. Just my honest insight... :)

GRABOID 6/16/10 09:15 PM

I guess I'm old! I didn't get the ep, et, Tom Tom, leroy Leroy or do I care for turn by turn. If you look up there are these great big signs that have letters on them. These my freinds give you directions for only a wonderfully small amount of tax $ a year. :).

RandyW 6/16/10 09:21 PM

Eric N, there's a fairly lengthy debate on this topic here.

Genot 6/16/10 09:45 PM

Just hope the dreaded suction cup mark never forms / you clean it off at the first sign of forming on your glass. I've had one GPS stolen in two smashed window attempts. All prompted by my use of portable nav and the associated mark (gps was not in sight when it was stolen, they didn't even bother to steal the power cord either, also hidden). The second time they took nothing but were obviously looking for my GPS. That was $900 all totaled right there not to mention finding glass shards no matter how hard I tried to remove them and window movement never being the same.

I know there is a chance someone could smash and grab my EP unit, but if they were that good to lift it in a short amount of time, they'd probably be good enough to steal the car.

emilram11 6/16/10 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 5893001)
You don't need to pay $2K for the electronics package navigation to get turn by turn directions.
If you have Sync, you get "turn by turn" spoken directions for free for 3 years. No need to pay more (unless you want to view a map on the center screen.)

You have to pay for Sync after 3 years? I've never heard anything about that if its true!

brycerichert 6/16/10 10:47 PM

I just make my wife sit in the passenger seat everwhere we go with a Thomas Guide book in her lap. I've gotta have her do something since she sits around home all day!

J/K... I'm TOTALLY looking forward to the Nav... it was a WAAY cheaper option than in the bimmer, and I hear it's better!