2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Sync nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/13, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync nightmare

So, I have had my '13 Mustang GT (non nav) now for a little over a month and a half and Sync is now useless for any type of music listening. I had an iPod Classic hooked up to it with about 25 GB of music on it and an iPhone 5 with about 15 GB of music on it. The first 2-3 weeks, both the iPod and iPhone played music flawlessly through USB and the iPhone worked very well with BT Audio. Then all of a sudden about a month ago nothing worked.

When selecting USB as the source with anything plugged in it says, "Initializing" for about 1 minute. Then it says, "Unsupported Device", yet I know an iPod Classic and iPhone 5 is supported. As far as BT Audio with my iPhone, it now just says "Connecting..." and never goes away, I've literally let it sit there on an hour drive to see if it would work. It's like it can't see the phone but the actual phone functions work perfectly with Sync such as making and receiving calls.

I have done everything I can think of to fix this, I have the most updated software (4.0.2), I have done a master reset 4 times, soft reset to my iPod and still nothing. I even called Ford and they told me that there might be too much music on the iPod, so I bumped it down to 10 GB and still nothing, I even loaded only 7 GB onto a flash drive and plugged that in but still get "Initializing" and "Unsupported Device" messages. Also, I have tried all 3 devices on USB2 and still get the same results.

Has anyone had these same issues? I would rather try and get to the bottom of this before I take it into the dealer and have them stare at me like I'm the idiot. Thanks for any input!
Old 7/1/13, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
five, sounds like you have done everything I could have told you to do. I'm an old guy, and this damnable SYNC is a pain in the glutious maximus for me also. I would cross my fingers, and take 'er to the dealer. Good luck.

S - Sucker,
Y - your
N - not
C - connected.......
Old 7/1/13, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
five, sounds like you have done everything I could have told you to do. I'm an old guy, and this damnable SYNC is a pain in the glutious maximus for me also. I would cross my fingers, and take 'er to the dealer. Good luck.

S - Sucker,
Y - your
N - not
C - connected.......
Exactly! but I'm a young guy and it's as much of a pain for me lol I just want my car to work the way it should. They need to use Siri for the next gen stangs, no more microsoft!
Old 7/1/13, 03:07 PM
GT Member

That "device unsupported" used to happen to me before I just unplugged the sync fuse for about 10 minutes went inside Made a sandwich came back and put it in and it worked perfectly haven't had that issue since maybe you should try that. Sandwich is optional.
Old 7/1/13, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mac951
That "device unsupported" used to happen to me before I just unplugged the sync fuse for about 10 minutes went inside Made a sandwich came back and put it in and it worked perfectly haven't had that issue since maybe you should try that. Sandwich is optional.
Now that's something I haven't tried. I'll see if that works tonight, but I think I'll BBQ a steak while im waiting, it'll make it that much more satisfying when it starts working
Old 7/1/13, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got that kind of error on both my Mustangs and a new Escape the first time I presented a USB stick. Pulled it out, put it back and it played. Go figure.
Old 7/1/13, 04:20 PM
GT Member

I have an iphone 5 with a 2013 soooo not sure what the issue would be mine certainly works over bluetooth
Old 7/1/13, 07:23 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
First, I'd try unplugging the battery for a little while. If that doesn't work, then I'd try the fuse.
Old 7/2/13, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mac951
Good luck locating the fuse box! My car manual says its on the passenger side foot wall but it's definitely not there. There is something there but it's not a fuse box. Even if it were there it'd be a giant pain in the *** to get a fuse out.

I just disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and that solved my Sync issues
Old 7/2/13, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Alittle off topic but still a SYNC question. I have done the Tablet mod and am trying to get it to play over BT. Problem I am running into is SYNC plays the music on my phone before it will connect with the tablet. If I turn my BT off on the phone (iPhone 4) I lose using SYNC to recieve and make call.

My question is how do I get SYNC to choose the tablet over the phone?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 7/2/13, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Alittle off topic but still a SYNC question. I have done the Tablet mod and am trying to get it to play over BT. Problem I am running into is SYNC plays the music on my phone before it will connect with the tablet. If I turn my BT off on the phone (iPhone 4) I lose using SYNC to recieve and make call.

Thanks,
Matthew
I don't think you can bud. I have both my phone and my wifes connected in her Stang but hers is primary so whenever we are both in the car it connects her phone over mines unless she turns off her bluetooth. So in short you can only have one device connected via bluetooth at a time.
Old 7/2/13, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

As someone mentioned, unplug the fuse and put it back in. That resolves any issues I have with Sync and sometimes I have to do it once a month. Here's how.

Open your passenger door all the way and look down by the floor mat on the right side. There is a door panel there about 1 foot tall.

Reach all the way back, toward the firewall, and pull back on the door, it will fly open. Once its open, pull it out

In the exposed area, the fuse box is closer to the door, its a black box

Grab it and just pull it out, the case will come off and the fuses will be exposed

LOOK INSIDE THE CASE, there is a fuse puller tool.

YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FUSE 3. Its a 15 amp fuse, blue, and its the third from the bottom closest to the door.

Yank it out, wait a minute, and then put it back in.

Start your car and give it a minute or two and try using sync.

Let me know if this helps. if you need pictures I can probably throw some together later
Old 7/2/13, 11:39 AM

My issue with SYNC is similar to the OP. My Ipod/Iphone worked flawlessly for about the first 4 months. Then it went into the "Initializing" loop and basically became unusable with the Ipods. Then I switched to thumb drives which worked great for a few months...then they became unreadable...until I put a brand new stick in and it worked fine again. This USB stick process repeats on an almost monthly basis, it's almost as if the USB port "eats" the stick and it's no longer usable (even though the sticks work with EVERY other USB interface I've tried them in).

Time to look into aftermarket solutions...
Old 7/2/13, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks,
Matthew
Idk about iphone but with Android you can usually set your player to play automatically if you want to when a BT connection active
Old 7/2/13, 12:06 PM
V6 Member

It sounds like you want to have both the iPhone and tablet connected via BT at the same time? Your phone for calls & the tablet for music? I don't think Sync will do that...

You can pair Sync with both devices, but only 1 will be active at any given time, as far as I'm aware.
Old 7/2/13, 03:19 PM
cmd

I have an iPod classic connected toy SYNC with Nav. It works with 60 GB. I did have to use the "sync" software from Ford . It goes through and cleans up iTunes. I then reset my iPod and reloaded it. Problems gone. Every so often it starts indexing again, but rebooting the iPod fixes it. No problem with with my 4S
Old 7/2/13, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SennaF1
It sounds like you want to have both the iPhone and tablet connected via BT at the same time? Your phone for calls & the tablet for music? I don't think Sync will do that...

You can pair Sync with both devices, but only 1 will be active at any given time, as far as I'm aware.
THIS!! Dont look like its going to happen but if someone figures it out please let me know.

Matthew
Old 7/2/13, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

My wife's Mazda CX-5 with the Bluetooth package does this. Sync does not do this. I'm not sure if the electronics package sync will but the standard one doesn't.
Old 7/3/13, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

It can definitely be done, but probably not with iPhone (lol)

On your tablet's media player, enable the option that automatically plays music when either a bluetooth connection or headphone connection is made. On your phone, do the opposite.

I know for sure PowerAmp on Android supports this functionality. Sync definitely doesn't though.

Last edited by Rando; 7/3/13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 7/3/13, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Pulling the battery cable for 10 mins to me is easier than crawling under my dash, but that's me. I too had this 'stuck in a loop' Initializing problem on my '13 Boss. I'm convinced that a lot of the iPod/iPhone probs with Sync are based on two basic computing gotchas.

1) Corrupted cache
2) Garbage in/Garbage out = #1

A lot of people import/copy/borrow/purchase music from many sources. The naming format for song titles, artists, etc varies greatly. If you ever drilled down into the folders of your music directory you will see a lot of funky special characters. Multiple forward slashes or back slashes can be interpreted as escape characters when Sync tries to index all your music. Things get really hairy when you have duplicates.

Long term fix?

Clean up your iTunes library by eliminating duplicates, import songs from CDs or iTunes, use only 1 device/flash drive with Sync. A cheap long term solution would be to get a USB thumb drive and plug it into the 2nd USB port on the sync module under the dash. Make sure the file names aren't full of special characters and Sync should start behaving. I cleaned up my library and haven't had a problem since.

Quick Reply: Sync nightmare