Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync AppLink Update (Q. for @FordIVTTeam)

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/13, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Sync AppLink Update (Q. for @FordIVTTeam)

So at the Consumer Electronics Show yesterday, as you guys probably saw, Ford and GM both announced that their in-vehicle platforms are now available to any developer that wants to create + submit an app, which is awesome. Ford also announced additional apps available now, including Glympse and Amazon Cloud Player.

When Scott Monty of Ford tweeted about the Amazon one, I asked him if it was possible pre-2012 Mustangs would ever be able to use it and got this response from both him and the official Ford account:

I went into SyncMyRide.com to find info and responded to both of them on Twitter, but couldn't find an answer. So...FordIVTTeam, is it available now and, if not, any idea what the ETA is on it?

Thanks!
Old 1/8/13, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really interesting news. A lot of business people typically are overzealous about announcements via Twitter (where a lot of the details are missing) so I take all of that feedback with a grain of salt. While their infotainment does rival the best this is still FoMoCo in Dearborn we are talking about.
Old 1/8/13, 12:00 PM
GT Member

I can't see the response, what is it?
Old 1/8/13, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Steven
I can't see the response, what is it?
One response said that if I have Sync now, I may already be able to get AppLink, while the other said they're working on a retrofit upgrade to older cars. When that might be available is my question still.
Old 1/11/13, 01:01 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, everyone -

To confirm, we're planning to roll out AppLink across the basic SYNC (Gen 1) system.
There's currently no ETA, but I'll post as more info becomes available. An official announcement will also be made here:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pf...cmb&listMode=0

This is an exciting time to soon have this opportunity as we've just added some new apps, check it out:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=37557

Jaclyn
Old 1/11/13, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi, everyone -

To confirm, we're planning to roll out AppLink across the basic SYNC (Gen 1) system.
There's currently no ETA, but I'll post as more info becomes available. An official announcement will also be made here:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pf...cmb&listMode=0

This is an exciting time to soon have this opportunity as we've just added some new apps, check it out:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=37557

Jaclyn
Thanks Jaclyn - wish you could tell us if that meant 90 days or 2 years but understand you can't. Looking forward to the update!
Old 1/11/13, 05:37 PM
BOSS Member

Don't get too excited over this people. This is the same team working on "fixing" MFT. Let's see, it's been over 2 YEARS since all the negative publicity started about it and it still sucks.

Last edited by LagunaBeach; 1/11/13 at 05:41 PM.
Old 1/11/13, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Don't get too excited over this people. This is the same team working on "fixing" MFT. Let's see, it's been over 2 YEARS since all the negative publicity started about it and it still sucks.
Helpful, thanks!
Old 1/12/13, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Actually from previous posts different teams work on the first gen SYNC (in our Mustangs) and the newer MyFord Touch, so fingers crossed the SYNC team is as dedicated as we hope!

I'm still waiting for the MAP support for my 3.1 system that "3.1.4" is supposed to bring.. :S
Old 1/14/13, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by msqr
Actually from previous posts different teams work on the first gen SYNC (in our Mustangs) and the newer MyFord Touch, so fingers crossed the SYNC team is as dedicated as we hope!

I'm still waiting for the MAP support for my 3.1 system that "3.1.4" is supposed to bring.. :S
You can get 3.1.4 from your dealer. Just go in and tell them that your phone's texting isn't working but it should be. If the car is still under the 36k/3 year warranty it shouldn't cost anything. Otherwise get a quote ahead of time.

I'll believe the app link update when I see it. Not a second before then. The "plan" has always been there, but we've never had an ETA on it. This is nothing new and nothing to get excited over.
Old 1/14/13, 09:21 AM
GT Member

You can get 3.1.4 from your dealer. Just go in and tell them that your phone's texting isn't working but it should be. If the car is still under the 36k/3 year warranty it shouldn't cost anything. Otherwise get a quote ahead of time.

I'll believe the app link update when I see it. Not a second before then. The "plan" has always been there, but we've never had an ETA on it. This is nothing new and nothing to get excited over.
I tried and they're probably just ignorant because they keep telling me they can't find any TSBs so there can't be anything. I even mentioned the PTS system and they said nothing.
Old 1/14/13, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Thanks Jaclyn - wish you could tell us if that meant 90 days or 2 years but understand you can't. Looking forward to the update!
You're welcome, kylerohde, I'm looking forward to it as well!

Hey, LagunaBeach -

Just to clarify, there are various engineering teams working on different aspects of all 4 systems (SYNC, SYNC with Voice-Activated Nav, SYNC with MyFord and SYNC with MyFord Touch).

Jaclyn
Old 1/14/13, 10:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by msqr
I tried and they're probably just ignorant because they keep telling me they can't find any TSBs so there can't be anything. I even mentioned the PTS system and they said nothing.
Maybe try a different dealer then? I drove right into my dealer, mentioned PTS and they hooked me up.
Old 1/14/13, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
You're welcome, kylerohde, I'm looking forward to it as well!

Hey, LagunaBeach -

Just to clarify, there are various engineering teams working on different aspects of all 4 systems (SYNC, SYNC with Voice-Activated Nav, SYNC with MyFord and SYNC with MyFord Touch).

Jaclyn
Does this mean that SYNC with Voice-Activated Nav probably won't get the App Link feature?
Old 1/14/13, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe try a different dealer then? I drove right into my dealer, mentioned PTS and they hooked me up.
+1 Went to my dealer today and said NP as car is still under the "bumber to bumber" warrenty no charge - goes in on Thursday said will take probably less than 1 hour to do.
Old 1/14/13, 04:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree... some of us have been trying to get answers and an update to the broken version 4.1.3. Six months later no answer and no updates.
Old 1/15/13, 10:25 AM

Does this mean that SYNC with Voice-Activated Nav probably won't get the App Link feature?
AppLink is already available on some Voice-Activated Nav systems, Steven, and will be part of the Gen 1 release.

Jaclyn
Old 1/15/13, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, like I suspect many of us, felt when getting the entertainment package on our 2011 mustangs that software upgrades would be available as new features became available. It would be nice, even if there is cost involved for us to get new features including app link and text reading for more current phones.

I certainly won't be holding my breath, but some of this news seems to hold promise. That said, with tech evolving so quickly having a car which is current for any length of time becomes almost impossible unless software updates are continually developed. Since this is pretty much common place for computers and tablets, I guess there is reason for hope. We shall see.
Old 1/15/13, 02:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eric n
I, like I suspect many of us, felt when getting the entertainment package on our 2011 mustangs that software upgrades would be available as new features became available. It would be nice, even if there is cost involved for us to get new features including app link and text reading for more current phones.

I certainly won't be holding my breath, but some of this news seems to hold promise. That said, with tech evolving so quickly having a car which is current for any length of time becomes almost impossible unless software updates are continually developed. Since this is pretty much common place for computers and tablets, I guess there is reason for hope. We shall see.
I wonder if our expectations were misguided to begin with. Many of us who opted for the Nav package did so because we are "somewhat techie". We're almost trained to expect updates in a reasonable amount of time and for bug fixes to be addressed in an even quicker amount of time.

Ford isn't a technology company, they're a car company. They work on a different schedule than technology companies do. I wonder if their updating infrastructure just isn't there.

Last edited by Steven; 1/15/13 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 1/15/13, 02:15 PM
Banned

I bought the EP for one reason and one reason only...a clean look.

Quick Reply: Sync AppLink Update (Q. for @FordIVTTeam)