Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Suspension Upgrades for a 2012 on order?

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/11, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Upgrades for a 2012 on order?

Hey guys,
Just getting back into the nice car scene--prev rides included 98 Cobra, 01 Steeda GT, and 03 Z06 Vette.
Got a '12 Gt on order (arrival ???????)

My main goal honestly regarding the suspension is just to the car lowered. I've read and heard all kind of things--"cant do just springs, wheel hop bad, gonna ride bad, etc..."
I've basically concluded that I cant just do lowering springs. I dont mind spending a little $$--want the car to look good and handle well on the street. Not gonna be at the auto-x or drag strip.
I've been looking at the Ford Racing Handling Pak, which is springs, struts/shocks, upgraded strut mounts, jounce stops, and front/rear sway bars. Has anybody done this upgrade? Thoughts?
What about an adjustable Panhard bar, which I've read will be needed to re-center the rear? Lower/Upper Control Arms??
I was thinking about just going with the K-springs (1.5" drop vs the 1'" P-springs in the package), Struts/shocks, strut mount upgrade, jounce stops, UCA/LCA, and adjust. panhard bar. ???

Any advice much appreciated as I wait on the build of the new 5.0; really enjoying the info from this site!!
Old 2/28/11, 12:00 AM
V6 Member

I am in the same boat as a bunch of people here as I wont be getting mine until the end of the year in prep for my April 2012 stateside return. So I have been doing some research and found this to meet most, if not all of my needs. Seems to be a very good,well thought out package.
It shows the 2011 so I dont see an issue obviously for the 2012. It is a 1.25" front drop and a 1.5" drop in the rear...

Package includes: $1619.00
Front Swaybar(SB022), Rear Swaybar(SB023), Tokico D-SPEC Adjustable Front struts and shocks(DSP12), Upper Strut Mounts(SM002), Lowering Springs(SP011, SP012), "On-Car" Adjustable Panhard Rod(PHR006), Control Arm Relocation Brackets(CAB005), and Camber bolts(FC001).

Last edited by blkside; 2/28/11 at 12:01 AM.
Old 2/28/11, 04:57 AM
GT Member

This is the package that came on My Stage 2 Roush:http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1549

I couldn't be happier with the overall balance of handling and ride quality.
Old 2/28/11, 05:19 AM
V6 Member

And for those that care, there are a number of manufacturers than have coilover kits available for 2011/2012. KW,Eibach,Tein as well as a few others..
Old 2/28/11, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but why can't we just throw on some lowering springs and be done with it?
Old 4/11/11, 10:39 PM

Ok, my dealer is not being too cooperative as I await delivery later this month--build date is 4-11 yeah!
Accessories manager is saying "Ford hasn't told us that the '11 parts will fit the new '12's, warranty, yadda yadda".
I've been trying to tell him that there is no difference between the 11's and the 12's in regards to suspension, I don't give a **** about the warranty, etc...I mean if the 1% chance that the '11 suspension parts won't work, its not like it will void the warranty on the whole car! It is gonna be my car, my money, I cannot believe that I am willing to spend 35 grand on a new car and am asking the dealership to take my money to perform a few simple upgrades and am getting this much resistance!
Any advices from the fellow stangers??
Old 4/11/11, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go find a shop besides the dealer to do it. That what some people do. You could install it yourself but that might not be an option.
Old 4/12/11, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012 Black 5.0
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but why can't we just throw on some lowering springs and be done with it?
Lots of guys do, but.........>>

Typically the OEM shocks are valved to handle the OEM rate springs (though not very well in reality). Putting lowering springs on the car typically raises the spring rates to the point that the stock shocks cannot handle the suspension movement as well. Damping is inadequate and usually results in some harshness. A better (stiffer) shock will more accurately control the stiffer springs and actually result in a better ride. I've had my car set up both ways, and if you want ride quality AND good handling with your drop, add some shocks when you do the job.
Old 4/12/11, 09:00 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modshack
Lots of guys do, but.........>>

Typically the OEM shocks are valved to handle the OEM rate springs (though not very well in reality). Putting lowering springs on the car typically raises the spring rates to the point that the stock shocks cannot handle the suspension movement as well. Damping is inadequate and usually results in some harshness. A better (stiffer) shock will more accurately control the stiffer springs and actually result in a better ride. I've had my car set up both ways, and if you want ride quality AND good handling with your drop, add some shocks when you do the job.
Couldn't agree more.

One other thing to consider if doing a spring install is the Panhard bar. Your axle may be off-center without installing an adjustable PHB.
Old 4/12/11, 10:59 AM

Noob question: Would it be worth getting a kit like one of these, and then adding a Watts linkage?
Old 4/12/11, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jwmurray
Noob question: Would it be worth getting a kit like one of these, and then adding a Watts linkage?
If you're adding a Watts link, you toss the panhard bar. No need to buy both.