Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Superflow Dyno Experience? someone chime in?

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/14, 10:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Question Superflow Dyno Experience? someone chime in?

Folks...

I am getting tired of waiting for availability at the one dyno shop I wanted to go to, and started looking around for other options. Looks like they have a Superflow Dyno at a shop located close to me (works out good). I have an appointment for Friday.

It looks like a Superflow Dyno. And folks who have gone to this facility have said that it's a great dyno and a great shop, so I'm looking forward to it.

So my question is, since I'm pretty ignorant with dyno's (I've never done one)... how does this specific Superflow Dyno compare to other dynos like the Mustang Dyno or Dynojet or etc... does it measure higher? lower? The guy claims he can have correction factors in there, etc... so it should be really accurate. He claims the rollers are bigger and heavier than the others. So I am guessing I will measure really low

FYI, they call this dyno the "heartbreaker", for obvious reasons. I'm expecting at least 500 whp maybe 550 tops, but who knows, I could be 450. He said he did a GT500 (not sure what year) and it was 500whp. So, I started getting worried...

Can someone please share some insight on this Superflow dyno?

thanks... much appreciated.
Old 5/21/14, 10:10 AM
I Have No Life

Here's a link I found on the super flow Diyno

http://www.superflow.com
Old 5/21/14, 10:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not that its helpful the least bit, i look forward to seeing what kind of numbers you get.
Old 5/21/14, 03:36 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by rmurer
Not that its helpful the least bit, i look forward to seeing what kind of numbers you get.
thanks man... I will let folks know...

Anyone else have any input on dyno's? Come on guys... I know there's a lot of you who are much smarter than me when it comes to dynos. I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to get a Superflow read out or just wait for a dynojet etc...
Old 5/22/14, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
if you're happy with the power your car's making, ultimately that's what matters.
if you race it and you're looking for certain 1/4-mile numbers, then the dyno and custom tuning is what you need to get to those goals.

Until then, having dyno numbers is just a nice thing to know, mostly for bragging rights, lol
Old 5/22/14, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In before I get flamed, but you have to look at a Dyno for what it is. A simple reference tool. The exact number doesn't matter at all, the only thing that really matters is repeatability to itself. Whether this dyno shows +/- 50 to another dyne is completely negligible, and it is simply used to show usable data for given changes.

For example, take a standard manifold compared to a manifold with shorter runners. If you take two consecutive pulls, you can see how the graph changes with both torque and horsepower, the biggest change on a manifold with shorter runners being a higher peak HP, but at the loss of low end torque.

People get too caught up on "peak" numbers, and is just a way to circle-jerk about "mine is larger than yours". Peak horsepower is only a small part of the equation on performance, and engine performance can be sacrificed just to hit a higher peak number.

Of course, there is no better way to tune than on a dyno. But the ultimate in performance benchmark will always be running it down the track. If you're a 10-second car, it doesn't matter how much HP you have, you'll know what she has in her.

Also, we have a Superflow Engine Dyno up at the shop; no chassis dyno though.