2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/10, 07:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My next door neighbor owns a very well known sunroof/upholstery shop in the Seattle area. He owns a couple Mustangs (including a 2008 coupe). We've discussed the sunroof issue several times over the past couple years. Basically, the problem with the 1994-2011 is that the roof is too curved. There are aftermarket slidunder sunroofs for the 94-11's, but the problem is that the panel can sometimes get jammed in the tracks as they curve too much. If you go with a popup or slidout sunroof, there's no problems, but they aren't as nice (who wants a glass panel sticking up and angled upward?). The Ford glass roof option is really a better option.
Old 4/12/10, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, if the Mustang was available with a sliding moonroof that is what I would order. I have a 2007 Sport Trac with that option and it is a very usable feature. It will either slide from front to back or tilt up at the rear. I think Ford would increase the popularity of the car if they offered this option. I know people who will not even consider a Mustang simply because it has no moonroof option. Next best, as someone else mentioned, would be a targa style removable half top similar to what is available on the Corvette although storage of the top can be an issue. T-tops would be my last choice. Sooner or later they will leak and the targa might be nearly as bad.
Old 4/12/10, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blksn8k
Personally, if the Mustang was available with a sliding moonroof that is what I would order. I have a 2007 Sport Trac with that option and it is a very usable feature. It will either slide from front to back or tilt up at the rear. I think Ford would increase the popularity of the car if they offered this option. I know people who will not even consider a Mustang simply because it has no moonroof option. Next best, as someone else mentioned, would be a targa style removable half top similar to what is available on the Corvette although storage of the top can be an issue. T-tops would be my last choice. Sooner or later they will leak and the targa might be nearly as bad.
Sooner or later? I'd bet on much later. I'm driving a ten year old Corvette with a targa top and it never leaks. Prior to that I drove an MR2 Turbo with T-tops for 13 years and it never leaked. Maybe people with 25 year old cars with T-tops have leaking problems, but people with 25 year old convertibles probably do, too. New rubber seals would probably fix them right up.

I'd be very satisfied, though, if Ford could make a sunroof that opens up and is as large as the current glass roof is. I guess Saleen did this once as a concept car. If the choice is between a regular size sunroof or a very large fixed glass roof, I guess I'd prefer the fixed roof because it lets in that much more light. One downside of an opening roof is the extra weight from the motors and other hardware.

Heck, since I'm fantasizing about roofs, I'll tell you would be really nice. A few years ago I read in a magazine (Popular Science, maybe?) that someone had made glass that could be turned from opaque to transparent by turning a dial. It would be nice to have a glass roof that could have very low tinting some times, like when it's overcast, and complete tinting at other times, like when you're leaving it parked on a hot day.
Old 4/13/10, 03:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used ASC before on an old SHO and it worked perfectly. The EVO looks like a good fit for Mustangs.

http://www.inalfasunroofs.com/

The original Saleen/ASC roof was a sunroof also (slip under?)

I like a sunroof. In someways it's better than a convertible: you don't have to stop to put it up, it maintains the original coupe look, less noise than a convertible, and the structure isn't compromised.

Last edited by grrr428; 4/13/10 at 03:06 AM.
Old 4/13/10, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grrr428
I've used ASC before on an old SHO and it worked perfectly. The EVO looks like a good fit for Mustangs.

The original Saleen/ASC roof was a sunroof also (slip under?)

I like a sunroof. In someways it's better than a convertible: you don't have to stop to put it up, it maintains the original coupe look, less noise than a convertible, and the structure isn't compromised.
I might add that a sunroof is also more secure than a rag top.

On the T-top leaking issue, I had a brand new 86 5.0L Capri with T-tops and it leaked from the day I bought it depending on which way it was parked on an incline. Face it downhill and it would drip on the driver's seat.
Old 7/23/11, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grrr428

this is true.

I've seen a few people mention having the inalfa sunroofs on their mustangs here and having to problems with it.

The one major local installer here near me only does Webasto, and they apparently have no roofs that would be inboard for a mustang...

If only I could find a good reputable shop that could do inalfa, anywhere in florida I'd drive to it for sure.
Old 7/24/11, 08:07 AM
GT Member

I have the glass roof and absolutely love it. I love it even more than I thought I would. I use the roll shade when I park in the sun, and on the rare occasions when the sun is directly in my eyes. Living in the northern mountain West, I couldn't quite bring myself to get a soft top convertible. Yeah, I drive mine all year.

I wish the glass roof tilted up even 1-1/2" - 2" in the back from fixed pivots in the front. It would be even better if it slid back over the back glass, or lifted off (although on second thought, it might be too heavy/awkward for me to handle alone safely).

I also wish there were roll shades for the front and back glass. Now, back on topic.

To me, sunroof vs. no sunroof would be more important than the specific design (i.e., one that hangs over the back roof vs. one that slides under the back roof). But having had the glass roof, I might be reluctant to give up my enormous expanse of sky and light for a sunroof 1/3 the size.

Bottom line, I like my glass roof wa-a-ay better than the sunroof in my spouse's 2010 Camaro.
Old 7/24/11, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I love my 2009 mustang GT. But, I oved my 2006 Gt vert even more.

happy camper
If you loved it so much why didn't you wash it?

Last edited by Thomas S; 7/24/11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 7/24/11, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Agent
I have the glass roof and absolutely love it. I love it even more than I thought I would. I use the roll shade when I park in the sun, and on the rare occasions when the sun is directly in my eyes. Living in the northern mountain West, I couldn't quite bring myself to get a soft top convertible. Yeah, I drive mine all year.

I wish the glass roof tilted up even 1-1/2" - 2" in the back from fixed pivots in the front. It would be even better if it slid back over the back glass, or lifted off (although on second thought, it might be too heavy/awkward for me to handle alone safely).

I also wish there were roll shades for the front and back glass. Now, back on topic.

To me, sunroof vs. no sunroof would be more important than the specific design (i.e., one that hangs over the back roof vs. one that slides under the back roof). But having had the glass roof, I might be reluctant to give up my enormous expanse of sky and light for a sunroof 1/3 the size.

Bottom line, I like my glass roof wa-a-ay better than the sunroof in my spouse's 2010 Camaro.
I agree that the tilt would give some air flow and that's the only thing I would change on the glass roof.
Old 7/27/11, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

d@mn this thread! Now it has reinvigorated my desire to have a sunroof!!

Just spoke to a local installer and inalfa is now "signature sunroofs". the EVO is allegedly discontinued, but there is a "SPORT" model that would accommodate the roofline and is an inboard with pop-up deflector and a sunshade. quoted me $1500 for the install, but I MISS HAVING A SUNROOF!!

Will be stopping by on Friday to chat with the installer.....

Last edited by bones302; 7/27/11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 7/27/11, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Kinda expensive bro... see my post here:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2665705

Page 2, I had a pretty long post about what I'm doing and why.

I was quoted $1099 installed + tax for the the Signature 755 (which is the "Sport") model you're thinking of... perfect for the Mustangs.

I'll be dropping the car off on Wednesday for the install...

Last edited by starbai; 7/27/11 at 03:31 PM.
Old 7/27/11, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for the info, starbai. There are about 3 authorized installers around me, so I'll be doing some more research and pricing. Thanks for the link too. post up after the install, i want to see how it looks!
Old 7/27/11, 07:53 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I'm going to take a guess and say that it is because every mustang I have seen with a sunroof looks ugly. A sunroof on a stang just looks out of place. That would be like lowering a jeep wrangler. Something else that looks ugly and out of place.

Last edited by adrenalin; 7/27/11 at 08:16 PM.
Old 7/27/11, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I'm going to take a guess and say that it is because every mustang I have seen with a sunroof looks ugly. A sunroof on a stand just looks out of place. That would be like lowering a jeep wrangler. Something else that looks ugly and out of place.
To each his/her own

I dont see how an inboard sunroof changes the appearance of the car accept for a tinyyy bulge on the roof probably like a 3mm height difference on the roof for the sunroof 'sticking past' the roof line-- IF that.

Even less noticeable on a black Stang since it blends right in..
Old 7/31/11, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the real reason they didn't offer these is that they decrease headroom a good 1/2 inch in the front and over an inch for the passengers. window will only open 2/3 of the way due to the extreme slope of the roof, but that's good enough for me. that's probably another reason they didn't offer it oem

went to two potential shops in my area and got much more realistic pricing and either shop looks very competent.

just a matter of finding time go schedule the job.

looking forward to wednesday so I can se how starbai's job went.
Old 8/2/11, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Well dropping it off tomorrow... they'll have the car until Friday.

Just curious... does anyone know if its possible to set one of the keys using the MyKey system to limit the car to like 10mph or something?

I'll be recording the mileage on the car when I drop it off. The shop seems reputable and that they know what they're doing in terms of the roof install but I dont know, I guess since its the first time I'm leaving my car with someone over night I'm a little uneasy.

Would love to limit its drive-ability...
Old 8/2/11, 11:57 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by starbai
Well dropping it off tomorrow... they'll have the car until Friday.

Just curious... does anyone know if its possible to set one of the keys using the MyKey system to limit the car to like 10mph or something?

I'll be recording the mileage on the car when I drop it off. The shop seems reputable and that they know what they're doing in terms of the roof install but I dont know, I guess since its the first time I'm leaving my car with someone over night I'm a little uneasy.

Would love to limit its drive-ability...
Yes you can! Read the owners manual
Old 8/3/11, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva

Yes you can! Read the owners manual
70 or 80 mph is the lowest
Old 8/3/11, 12:09 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Heck, since I'm fantasizing about roofs, I'll tell you would be really nice. A few years ago I read in a magazine (Popular Science, maybe?) that someone had made glass that could be turned from opaque to transparent by turning a dial. It would be nice to have a glass roof that could have very low tinting some times, like when it's overcast, and complete tinting at other times, like when you're leaving it parked on a hot day.
Wanna hear something really cool. We are going to build a home for a family and the shower in the master bathroom has large windows in it that expose it to an exterior garden. We are going to use that glass in the windows so that when they are in the shower they will have privacy with the opaque glass and then they can flip a switch and have clear glass the rest of the time. Pretty cool. The glass we are getting is just an on/off type of glass with no variable dial. Not sure that kind exists yet.
Old 8/3/11, 12:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
70 or 80 mph is the lowest
yea 70mph isn't really gonna do much lol.. but oh well thanks anyway.

I wish u could limit RPM's to like 3k and like 30mph lol.

Quick Reply: Sunroof?