Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

storing multiple tunes

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/10, 10:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
storing multiple tunes

Does anyone know if there is a way to download tunes from the popular hand-held tuners to a computer so you can save more than the 3-4 tunes they normally handle?

If I understand it correctly, the SCT (and other?) tuners can store 3 tunes internally, and come with three tunes when you buy them. I have been told that they download and store the factory tune before reprogramming the car with one of their tunes, and the tuner more or less "swaps" the factory tune for one of the programs that it holds in memory; and the tuner can hold only three tunes at a time. (however this doesn't quite make sense because in order to download the factory tune it actually would have to store 4 tunes total)

I have a "mystery tune" in my car right now (bought it used, dealer lied, long story) but it is running great, so I'd like to save this custom tune before I have the car flashed back to stock; and also have the three tunes that the SCT tuner comes with; and be able to switch between them for a total of 5 tunes --
1) current mystery custom tune
2) stock tune
3) SCT/Bama #1
4) SCT/Bama #2
5) SCT/Bama #3
6+? future custom tunes from American Muscle

So -- does anyone know if you can download/upload tunes from the hand-held to a computer? (the SCT guy told me you really cannot do that, but he also seemed contradictory about the number of tunes the unit stores and how it handles the stock tune)

thanks!
Old 7/27/10, 11:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that I consider it, you probably can save that tune that is on the car now because you have no original factory tune so when you hook the tuner up to the car to download the new tune and upload the stock tune the tuner will think the current modified tune is the stock tune and it will save it but you won't have the stock tune.

The problem you may have one day is if you really do need to return the car to stock you would have to take the car to the dealer to get them to re-flash the computer back to stock.

You can also have as many tunes e-mailed to you as the tuner shop will supply to you and those will be stored on your computer and you can download them to the tuner device as many times as you need so you can swap tunes.

I've got probably 6 or 7 tunes for my '04 saved on my laptop.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 7/27/10 at 11:11 PM.
Old 7/27/10, 11:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
. . . . I've got probably 6 or 7 tunes for my '04 saved on my laptop.
Aha, thanks for the reply, so it can be done . . . the AM/SCT guy said that yes they can e-mail new tunes to you that you can install into the tuner, but it was difficult or unreliable to upload/download to/from the computer and tuner . . .

Here's what I'd like to do:
1) buy a tuner (probably SCT from American Muscle, with the 3 tunes that it comes with, which will be customized for my existing Roush CAI, even though the Roush CAI does not require a tune)
2) download the current "mystery tune" from the car (the SCT will think it is the stock tune) and then save it to my computer
3) get the car reflashed back to stock by a dealer (an honest one, not the one I bought the car from)
4) download and save the stock/factory tune for future use in case I need to put the car back to stock for warranty considerations
5) start playing with the SCT/AM/Bama tunes, but still have the original mystery tune and stock tunes available if wanted

will that work?
Old 7/27/10, 11:56 PM
GTR Member

No, you misunderstood, you can't transfer the tune file from the handheld tuner to your pc or laptop, only download a tune your tuner sent you that you have stored on your pc or laptop to the handheld device.

You can't take the tunes back from the handheld device, only over-write them with new tunes.

The tunes I have saved on my laptop are the ones my tuner guy sent to me by e-mail.

Like I wrote, you can probably save your mystery tune on the handheld device as the stock tune since that is all you have. The handheld will think it is the stock tune file.

And you don't have any stock tune any more, the only way to get a stock tune back is to have the cars PCM re-flashed at the dealer.

+++++++++++

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 7/27/10 at 11:58 PM.
Old 7/28/10, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, you misunderstood, you can't transfer the tune file from the handheld tuner to your pc or laptop, only download a tune your tuner sent you that you have stored on your pc or laptop to the handheld device.

You can't take the tunes back from the handheld device, only over-write them with new tunes.

The tunes I have saved on my laptop are the ones my tuner guy sent to me by e-mail.

Like I wrote, you can probably save your mystery tune on the handheld device as the stock tune since that is all you have. The handheld will think it is the stock tune file.

And you don't have any stock tune any more, the only way to get a stock tune back is to have the cars PCM re-flashed at the dealer.

+++++++++++
You can the ones written in the older format. I have copies I pulled from my old SCT 1st Gen (Serial X312...) X3 (Now renamed SF3) stored on my PC including a copy of my Stock Tune (Just in Case). The reason they changed to the newer format is guys were starting tune depositories.
Old 7/28/10, 07:31 PM
GTR Member

Don't know about the older tuner, you can't do it on the ones in use now.
Old 7/29/10, 04:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

thanks guys, that's not what I was hoping to hear but at least it is clear
Old 7/29/10, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
thanks guys, that's not what I was hoping to hear but at least it is clear
The Tuner's used to use .lbu files but they changed that to keep us from trading them with each other.
I think this will work to do what you want but you wont be able to use your "Stock" program at will.

1. Download the following Software.
2. Make sure a Bama Tune is installed in car.
3. Save a copy of your "Mystery File" as a .lbu on PC
4. Return car to "Mystery"
5. Go to dealer and get reflashed.
6. Reinstall Bama Tune in car.
7. Save a copy of the new "Stock File" as a .lbu on PC
8. Call SCT for assistance installing "Mystery" in Stock on X3.
9. If you ever need to return to stock call SCT for assistance again.

HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAVING A COPY OF YOUR STOCK FILE, LOCATE THE TUNER YOU ARE USING AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS LISTED:

FOR THE FORD X3 3000, SF3 3015, GM SF3 3100, LIVEWIRE 9600, 9621, 9623, and 9625: INSTALL THE SOFTWARE

* With the Tuner unplugged we need to install the SCT Device Updater Software.
(Software found on the dowloads section of the tech support page)
* Let it install in the default location, clicking next, next, next until you get to Finish. You should see a New Icon on your desktop for the SCT Device Updater Software.

INSTALL THE DRIVERS

* Once installed, Plug in the Tuner and wait for the Found New Hardware Wizard to Pop Up.
* It may ask you "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to Search for Software?" If it does, click "No, Not at this Time" and press Next.
* At the Next Window, Select "Install Software Automatically (Recommended)" and click Next. Windows will search and Install the drivers for your device, Click Finish to Finish the Driver Installation.
* NOTE: If a Found New Hardware Wizard did not pop up, and you get an error in the next step, go to the section for Installing Drivers Manually.

SAVING A COPY OF YOUR STOCK FILE

* Now that the drivers are installed, open the X3/Livewire Updater software. There will be a new Icon on your desktop. (Yellow, Orange and White.)
* Once opened, click on the button labeled: "GET STOCK FILE" this will open the window asking where to save your stock file.
* Browse to the location of your choice.
* This will save your files as Stock.lbu and Flash.lbu
* The current format of the file WILL NOT load back onto the tuner as is. If a situation arises where you need to use this stock file, you will need to contact SCT Tech Support to assist you.

Last edited by Gene K; 7/29/10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 7/29/10, 12:27 PM
GTR Member

I would just not worry about keeping your so called mystery file. I would just load the new tune and go on from there.
Old 7/30/10, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Gene for the details, I'll probably give that a try, even though it really isn't a big deal like Ltng says.
Old 8/12/10, 11:59 AM
GTR Member

Okay, just had the opportunity to play with my SCT X3 tuner again to download a new tune to my car after removing the blower.

In the SCT X3/LW software that you use to load new tunes to the X3, you can download and save the stock tune to your computer once you have downloaded it to the X3.

Once you get the tuner and have the software setup on your computer you will see it all and how to do it.
Old 8/12/10, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the update . . . I'm still a bit confused by all this . . . I haven't bought the tuner yet, and I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have the car flashed back to stock so I don't have to run premium gas all the time . . . good bye mystery tune, unless I change my mind between now and then.

Hopefully I am not losing anything significant by deleting that mystery tune. Then again maybe I should just leave it alone?

Is the "X3" the same thing as "SF3 / X3" meaning the current SCT tuner model that I can buy from American Muscle with the Bama tunes, or an older one?
Old 8/12/10, 12:56 PM
GTR Member

Thanks for the update . . . I'm still a bit confused by all this . . . I haven't bought the tuner yet, and I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have the car flashed back to stock so I don't have to run premium gas all the time . . . good bye mystery tune, unless I change my mind between now and then.

Hopefully I am not losing anything significant by deleting that mystery tune. Then again maybe I should just leave it alone?

Is the "X3" the same thing as "SF3 / X3" meaning the current SCT tuner model that I can buy from American Muscle with the Bama tunes, or an older one?
SCT has changed the way they market the tuners since I bought mine, I bought mine last september and the X3 and SF3 were two seperate devices. The SF3 was the one that came only with pre-loaded tunes and the X3 was for custom tunes, thay have now combined them into one device part number.

If you are going to buy a new tuner from A/M then I wouldn't worry about what tune is on the car currently, just get a stock tune flashed and go on from there.
Old 8/12/10, 01:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are going to buy a new tuner from A/M then I wouldn't worry about what tune is on the car currently, just get a stock tune flashed and go on from there.
That makes sense to me. Because a new custom tune will be something you know the specifics of (and possibly a better tune than the mystery tune).

and I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have the car flashed back to stock so I don't have to run premium gas all the time . . .
Since none of the tuners have figured out "Adaptive Spark Ignition" in any of their tunes (that I've read so far), I'm like you - I want that flexible stock tune. Right now cash flow is super tight so $3/gal is my decision maker. I was able to get 91 prem at Costco for $3 for the last few months, but now its all edged up to where 87 reg is $3. So that's what I'm running currently. Then when I get a tuner, I can upload it on play days and when cash flow has improved.
Old 8/12/10, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[Since none of the tuners have figured out "Adaptive Spark Ignition" in any of their tunes (that I've read so far), I'm like you - I want that flexible stock tune. Right now cash flow is super tight so $3/gal is my decision maker. I was able to get 91 prem at Costco for $3 for the last few months, but now its all edged up to where 87 reg is $3. So that's what I'm running currently. Then when I get a tuner, I can upload it on play days and when cash flow has improved.
[/QUOTE]

My understanding is the same -- none of the tunes have the adaptive spark, they are all octane specific . . . and yes I like the factory tune because it adapts to the gas in the tank. The good news is that, depending on who you buy it from, the SCT tuner comes with three tunes; so one of those can be an 87-octane street tune, one can be a 93-octane performance tune, and it's pretty easy to change between them . . . you just have to remember not to put 87 in the tank when you're running the 93 tune.

Funny you mention $3/gallon, that is my tipping point also . . . right now I can get 93 for just under $3/gallon so I haven't been too concerned about it; but as you say it is creeping up.

I am going ahead with the stock tune, hopefully won't find out when it's too late that there was some other reason the car needed the mystery tune.

thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions