Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/16, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....

THANK YOU to all on this Forum for your replies to my sound insulation & tire questions.

Did the back half last year while installing SLIVERHORSE quarter window louvers.

Pony got new shoes - Continental Extreme Contact DW 245/45 R19 and Dynamat from the back seat forward.

zero tire noise, zero road noise, just the sweet sound of that Coyote and her GT500 Axelbacks !

STICKS LIKE GLUE AND HEAVEN TOO ! !!

Thanks to everyone on this FORUM for your opinions and assistance.

RWSRWS
Old 3/28/16, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

photos attached
Attached Thumbnails Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....-img_3441.jpg   Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....-img_3447.jpg   Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....-img_3458.jpg  
Old 3/29/16, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW, talk about complete coverage.. Can you even hear the exhaust now ??? LOL.. On a more serious note, what was the goal you were looking for when you installed all the dynamat, and has it helped?? How much did you need for the entire car and what was the cost?? I would like to tighten up some of the door panel rattles from the subs, and possibly block some of the heat coming up from the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, does the dynamat help with that??
Old 3/29/16, 05:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
WOW, talk about complete coverage.. Can you even hear the exhaust now ???

The GT500 Axelbacks sound even better/sweeter/fuller minus the competing tire/road noise.

LOL.. On a more serious note, what was the goal you were looking for when you installed all the dynamat, and has it helped??

To further my enjoyment of the car. To not have to strain to hear a hands free SYNC conversation when going over a concrete bridge. Holy Chrappola, what a difference with the 4 new speakers and the factory subs when I put the Dynamat on the inside of the door skins !!!!! Better lows and better midrange and highs too!!! I can't change the volume on the exhaust, but it is nice to leave the sound system turned down a bit to enjoy the Mustang sounds with no competition from the road surface/highway/tires. Plus it makes a long highway run far more enjoyable.

How much did you need for the entire car and what was the cost??

9 sheets (1 box) for the rear seat back, used a full box again to do the front. I think it was about $179/box on Amazon.

I would like to tighten up some of the door panel rattles from the subs, and possibly block some of the heat coming up from the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, does the dynamat help with that??
too soon to tell on the heat, never noticed a problem before.

12 years ago I owned a Chrysler Crossfire. HOLY TIRE NOISE, BATMAN ! ! you could hear them at 10 MPH on a residential street with the windows up !

Seriously, this upgrade changes the character of the car, all for the better!

RWSRWS

photos of rear done last fall are attached
Attached Thumbnails Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....-img_1649.jpg   Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....-img_1645.jpg   Sticks like glue & Dynamat too....-img_1671.jpg  
Old 3/29/16, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any problems with the thickness of the dynamat interfering with the carpet and/or factory insulation, or is it thin enough that it's not an issue?
Old 3/29/16, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

zero impact whatsoever.

It's about the thickness of 2-3 slices of American Cheeze

RWSRWS
Old 3/29/16, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
RWS, how much weight would you say this added? Dynamat's pretty heavy, isn't it?
Old 3/29/16, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm eventually looking a doing this to my car, since I have some drone with magnaflow quads and at one point one of my friends sat on the back seat and it quitted a bit. (No one ever sit back there)

I was wondering why you just did the entire front, but initially the rear in sections?

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
RWS, how much weight would you say this added? Dynamat's pretty heavy, isn't it?
Amazon lists each box shipping weight to be ~18lbs.

Last edited by Slowb00st; 3/29/16 at 02:13 PM.
Old 3/29/16, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowb00st
I'm eventually looking a doing this to my car, since I have some drone with magnaflow quads and at one point one of my friends sat on the back seat and it quitted a bit. (No one ever sit back there)

I was wondering why you just did the entire front, but initially the rear in sections?

Amazon lists each box shipping weight to be ~18lbs.
I'm guessing he did it to try and block more sound up there. But with dynamat or any similar product you really only need to cover about 30% or so of the surface to get full effectiveness. All that extra will block a little bit more road noise, but the cost benefit is fairly low. The purpose of dynamat is really to stop the vibrations. If you want to block road noise you really want to add a layer of closed-cell foam and mass loaded vinyl on top of the dynamat. Throwing on dynamat past 30% coverage or so is more or less throwing money away.

To clarify I am in no way saying OP did anything wrong, it looks great and I'm sure it helped a ton. I just mean he used a bit more than he probably needed to on the front/floor area.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/29/16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 3/29/16, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
WOW, talk about complete coverage.. Can you even hear the exhaust now ??? LOL.. On a more serious note, what was the goal you were looking for when you installed all the dynamat, and has it helped?? How much did you need for the entire car and what was the cost?? I would like to tighten up some of the door panel rattles from the subs, and possibly block some of the heat coming up from the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, does the dynamat help with that??
It would help with heat a little but but They make a special kind for heat insulation. Like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vt...g1oaAqd58P8HAQ
Old 3/30/16, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
I'm guessing he did it to try and block more sound up there. But with dynamat or any similar product you really only need to cover about 30% or so of the surface to get full effectiveness. All that extra will block a little bit more road noise, but the cost benefit is fairly low. The purpose of dynamat is really to stop the vibrations. If you want to block road noise you really want to add a layer of closed-cell foam and mass loaded vinyl on top of the dynamat. Throwing on dynamat past 30% coverage or so is more or less throwing money away.

To clarify I am in no way saying OP did anything wrong, it looks great and I'm sure it helped a ton. I just mean he used a bit more than he probably needed to on the front/floor area.
Agreed, Though, If I had the car torn down like how the OP did, I would have done the exact same thing. Peace of mind, for sure..... cover it all and never second guess yourself wondering if you laid down enough for maximum effectiveness.
Old 3/30/16, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

besides, I already paid for the box of Dynamat.......

RWSRWS
Old 3/30/16, 02:02 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Holy smokes,.......does your Mustang rattle that bad that you had to Dynamat to the car?
Old 3/30/16, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
Agreed, Though, If I had the car torn down like how the OP did, I would have done the exact same thing. Peace of mind, for sure..... cover it all and never second guess yourself wondering if you laid down enough for maximum effectiveness.
Originally Posted by RWSRWS
besides, I already paid for the box of Dynamat.......

RWSRWS
Right, I would have done the same thing too. No point in not using it and also getting the extra piece of mind. I was just trying to let people know they don't have to use that much to get the desired effect if they were trying to figure costs and whatnot.
Old 3/30/16, 05:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Holy smokes,.......does your Mustang rattle that bad that you had to Dynamat to the car?
the problem now is, I can't hear the parts falling off...

but seriously, the car sounds awesome, the GT500 Axelbacks sound far better with no road/tire noise.

remember, other than changing out the exhaust, it has no volume control.

reduce the ambient sound level and the exhaust/motor fills the void.

music to my ears.

RWSRWS
Old 4/1/16, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Oh god, I sooooo want to do this. I can't stand how **** loud my 13 GT is on the highway. I think a majority of it is the wearing Pirellis though. **** I'm jealous. I don't think I have the energy to take on this project though lol. How much was all the dynamat?
Old 4/1/16, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

$170/box

1 box front + 1 box rear = totally awesome change

not difficult to do, just time consuming.

RWSRWS
Old 4/6/16, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

This has giving me a kick to get on mine as well. I've already got a box to do the doors sitting in my closet I got on closeout at best buy.