Sponsored By:

STEEDA issues SCT Critical Update

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/12, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
STEEDA issues SCT Critical Update

URGENT NOTICE: SCT X3 Tuner Critical Update

SCT has released a new version of the X3 (PN: 3000) / SF3 (PN: 3015) device firmware - Version 1.2.142. This is a critical update that resolves issues found with prior versions of the X3 / SF3 firmware.

All SCT customers are urged to update their device(s) to this latest firmware revision using the SCT Auto Updater Software immediately. Dealers with X3 / SF3 devices in stock are urged to update their inventory to the firmware version 1.2.142 prior to selling these devices or should encourage the consumer to update the device prior to installing it on their vehicle.

Firmware Release Version: 1.2.142

Update Importance: Critical

Action to Take: Update all X3 / SF3 products immediately

Frequently Asked Questions

1 - I don't want to update my device. Can't I just back date the firmware to resolve the issue?

No. Back dating the firmware may cause additional issues and will not resolve the issue.

2 - My car / device are working fine. Should I update to the latest version?

Yes. This is a critical update and your device should be updated immediate to prevent any future issues.

3 - Where do I get the SCT Auto Updater Software? How do I install it?

The Auto Updater Software is available on SCT's website
Old 7/31/12, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do i need to do this if the car is fine. I really dont like flashing un-necessarily, you have to put your car back to stock before you can update the device. I dont see the purpose of doing this if everything if fine now. Maybe if i re-tune with more parts i could see doing this, could you elaborate
Old 7/31/12, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I got that email too. It would be nice if they explained what the update does, or what issue(s) it fixes. I think more people would be motivated to comply if they knew why they were supposed to do it.
Old 7/31/12, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

The other confusing this is, if I open the updater program on my pc, with the Xcal plugged in, then click "Automatically check for updates" it says current version is 1.2.136 See screen shot... very confused.

Old 7/31/12, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine showed the correct update im just not flashing my car again without good reason.
Old 7/31/12, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Erm, what exactly does this update do? I would like to know what it changes.
Old 7/31/12, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burke985
Mine showed the correct update I'm just not flashing my car again without good reason.
What could possibly go wrong? I mean this isn't one of those Urgent Windows updates that crashes your computer. Worse case scenario, your car won't start.

Without a good reason. I think that I would stick with my favorite motto.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 7/31/12, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
What could possibly go wrong? I mean this isn't one of those Urgent Windows updates that crashes your computer. Worse case scenario, your car won't start.

+1, if i ever do any more parts that need the computer re-flashed then ill update it but till then nada.
Old 7/31/12, 10:50 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy49

Read the other recent threads where guys have been stranded. And SCT has known about issues but does not stay open on weekends for an emergency fix to get the guys cars back on the road. How'd you like to be stuck for days?
Old 7/31/12, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FLAstangx3

SCT has released a new version of the X3 (PN: 3000) / SF3 (PN: 3015) device firmware - Version 1.2.142. This is a critical update that resolves issues found with prior versions of the X3 / SF3 firmware.

All SCT customers are urged to update their device(s) to this latest firmware revision using the SCT Auto Updater Software immediately. Dealers with X3 / SF3 devices in stock are urged to update their inventory to the firmware version 1.2.142 prior to selling these devices or should encourage the consumer to update the device prior to installing it on their vehicle.

1 - I don't want to update my device. Can't I just back date the firmware to resolve the issue?

No. Back dating the firmware may cause additional issues and will not resolve the issue.

Yes. This is a critical update and your device should be updated immediate to prevent any future issues.

Old 7/31/12, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I wonder if the problem was caused by one of the previous firmware updates? That would explain why the people who are not experiencing problems are a little reluctant to upgrade to the latest and greatest. The problem may not effect their current firmware version.

This is why it is important for the manufacturer to not just update the firmware, but to also go out of their way to explain the exact reason for the firmware update.

It's going to be interesting to see what new problems may be created by the new firmware update.

If the firmware version number is an indicator of the number of fixes in the newest firmware, then this is fix number 141 since version 1.2.1. Did SCT explain any of these updates?

Sometime it is better to take a step back rather than jump into the unknown.
If I were having the problems posted, I would probably try to flash back to the last firmware that worked for me. Then I would watch the forums and see if any new problems show up with version 1.2.142. If no problems appeared, at least I would know it was a viable option.

If it is not possible to flash back to an earlier version that worked for you, your only option it to update to the newest version. Make sure you post your results, positive or negative so others who not experiencing problems can make an informed decision to update or not.

My experience with firmware updates on electronic equipment is mixed, sometimes it is a great update that fixes problems and adds many new features and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Old 7/31/12, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess this in one reason of why im glad i went with steeda , there's one tune per octane level, no street/performance/race tunes to sit there and flash your computer back and forth. My tune is spot on as confirmed by Dyno theres no need to mess with the car unless I do encounter problems. this is what i pulled off the SCT Website:

SCT SF3 Power Flash Ford Programmer Device Firmware
Firmware Version: 1.2.142-3015 Release Date: 07-23-2012
Description: This is the latest firmware release for the SF3 Flash Device. This firmware is ONLY for SF3 Devices sold after July 25th, 2008.

Changes in this release:

- Resolved random Return to Stock issues

SCT will no longer be providing the firmware files as a downloadable link from our website. In order to update to this firmware and any future firmware, please download and install the latest SCT SF3 Power Flash Ford Programmer Device Update Software below. Within this program, select to Automatically Check for Updates while connected to the internet and your device will be updated automatically. The tune revision update will take approximately 5 minutes for completion.
Notes:
2003-2004 6.0 diesel owners: Tire size adjustments are not functioning in this release. Overall flashing of the vehicle is not affected by this functionality however. This will be addressed in a future update.

This firmware is ONLY for Enhanced SF3 devices. (your device serial number starts with "XP")

Links:
Old 7/31/12, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So does this update fix the problem with people frying their ecu when returning to stock?
Old 7/31/12, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
So does this update fix the problem with people frying their ecu when returning to stock?
Possibly (given their history I'm highly reluctant to say anything of theirs will work), but you have to return the car to stock before you can update it, risking frying your ECU to fix the problem of frying your ECU.

This, folks, is the definition of a catch-22.

Also, SCT can go f*** themselves, I'm never using that cursed hunk of crap of theirs again to flash my car. As far as I'm concerned, the tune that's on it is on it for life.
Old 7/31/12, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3

Hey guys,

I apologize for the inconvenience that this firmware update has caused you all. However I'm confident my Bama Team & SCT will get everyone taken care of in a timely fashion. This is just a routine Update, We always recommend that our customers have the latest firmware updates. We have not yet released an email because we want to investigate further into the matter to make sure it's solved before we announce anything, as soon as we have more information we'll keep you guys updated

We've been working with SCT for the last few weeks to get this updated firmware out there. The problems that we were seeing with back-to-stock failures are still very far and few, but a couple more than normal. We've been manually updating our tuners before they ship to the newest 1.2.142 firmware, so that customers don't have to worry. SCT is confident that it's solved, and we've been testing the new firmware on our own fleet of Mustangs just to make sure!

Here's a link to SCT's website regarding the firmware update - http://www.sctflash.com/sctnews.php?NID=15

Let me know if you guys have any questions or need assistance. This update can be found/downloaded on SCT's website. We greatly appreciate your patience while Bama & SCT get you all taken care of!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 7/31/12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 7/31/12, 03:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm confused as I'm still Stock BUT, if this involves all aftermarket tuners why is STEEDAS name in HUGE LETTERS in the title???
Old 7/31/12, 03:58 PM
V6 Member

my tune from steeda just arrived at my house today, do i need to update it? i have read that if i do this my tune will be lost, is this true? steeda told me to email sct but they have not gotten back to me. I'm so confused as to what i should do at this point.

josh
Old 7/31/12, 04:19 PM

SCT/BAMA users, DO NOT UPDATE

My buddy just updated and now his car won't start. Just hold off!!

And he's been on hold with SCT for over 35 minutes
Old 7/31/12, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM

was he reloading stock tune, or aftermarket tune?
Old 7/31/12, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Possibly (given their history I'm highly reluctant to say anything of theirs will work), but you have to return the car to stock before you can update it, risking frying your ECU to fix the problem of frying your ECU.

This, folks, is the definition of a catch-22.

Also, SCT can go f*** themselves, I'm never using that cursed hunk of crap of theirs again to flash my car. As far as I'm concerned, the tune that's on it is on it for life.
So like I said...

Quick Reply: STEEDA issues SCT Critical Update