2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

SR Performance Lowering Springs installed

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/14, 04:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
SR Performance Lowering Springs installed

I haven't posted here in a while...mainly because I haven't done much to the Mustang yet! Well I finally got the SR Performance Lowering Springs on a couple weeks ago and wanted to post pictures in case anyone wants to see the stance with these springs. The main reason why I got these was because the rear was embarrassingly high on my 2013 from the factory
The installation was easy, except for the strut mount bearings flying everywhere on the first try (I hear this is a common problem). The other side I was a LOT more careful.
The drop wasn't extreme, it was just right IMO. I think these cars look a bit odd slammed and I have speed bumps in my apartment complex. I have yet to scrape over anything. The handling also improved tremendously and I ZERO wheel hop now (I used to have it a lot, and it was driving me nuts). Brake dive is a lot better now too.
FYI: I had the car aligned afterwards, and it actually wasn't too far off. Thrust angle was only 0.4 degrees, camber was in spec, but the toe was slightly out of spec.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 8/10/14, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking good, I can't stand the stock height too, going to lower mine soon. How do you like the ride? Did you do shocks/struts too or just springs?
Old 8/10/14, 06:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I didn't do shocks and struts because the car only has 5k miles on it and I drive it maybe 4k miles a year. If they go out, I'll just upgrade them. It's not too much work.

The ride is very nice...it honestly doesn't feel any harsher over bumps than the stock springs
Old 8/10/14, 11:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts
That looks awesome. Beautiful car. I agree, i don't like them slammed either but the stock ride height is a bit too much lol.

I too stayed on stock struts/shocks until about 20,000km, then decided to upgrade.
Old 8/10/14, 11:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good! I am interested in lowering mine too. Did you go with AM or someone else? And will the shocks and struts fail w/o being upgraded? Thanks for reading in advance!
Old 8/11/14, 04:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good height!
Old 8/11/14, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Jon
Looks good! I am interested in lowering mine too. Did you go with AM or someone else? And will the shocks and struts fail w/o being upgraded? Thanks for reading in advance!

I went with AM and got them on sale for $159 plus the forum discount. Keep an eye on them, they go on sale pretty regularly.

As far as the stock shocks/struts failing, yes they eventually will, just like how the stock ones will fail over time with stock springs. Its just a matter of how long. They will fail especially quickly if your shocks already have a lot of mileage on them before putting on lowering springs. My car only has 5k miles, so I figured I'd see how long they'd last and save up for better ones in the future.
Old 8/11/14, 08:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Looks great. I've enjoyed my SR springs and koni's so far. I initially thought he ride height was a little lower than what I wanted but it's grown on me. I've shown the car to numerous people and the general consensus is that this height is how a track package car should look from the factory. Next up is adjustable shocks/struts... The STR.Ts are good but adjustable will be a nice improvement

Car looks great tho. Enjoy
Old 8/11/14, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I haven't posted here in a while...mainly because I haven't done much to the Mustang yet! Well I finally got the SR Performance Lowering Springs on a couple weeks ago and wanted to post pictures in case anyone wants to see the stance with these springs. The main reason why I got these was because the rear was embarrassingly high on my 2013 from the factory
The installation was easy, except for the strut mount bearings flying everywhere on the first try (I hear this is a common problem). The other side I was a LOT more careful.
The drop wasn't extreme, it was just right IMO. I think these cars look a bit odd slammed and I have speed bumps in my apartment complex. I have yet to scrape over anything. The handling also improved tremendously and I ZERO wheel hop now (I used to have it a lot, and it was driving me nuts). Brake dive is a lot better now too.
FYI: I had the car aligned afterwards, and it actually wasn't too far off. Thrust angle was only 0.4 degrees, camber was in spec, but the toe was slightly out of spec.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

OP,

Looking Good! I'm happy to see and hear that you're enjoying them! They really shrunk that gap nicely!

Originally Posted by Mustang_Jon
Hey Jon,

With the newer model Mustang's you can get away with running the OEM Struts and Shocks. With a 10 Year old car it's something that we would recommend doing. Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm always here to help out!

Alex
Old 8/11/14, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
congrats! it looks pretty good! I wish I could lower mine I'm going to drive my through the winter season and I know its going to be challenge as it is do to so with stock height.

I have a question though.

when you took a picture of the before image, was the car actually at its stock height or has the car been lifted prior to the image? it looks like i can see the other side from underneath from the top of the rotor which to me shows that the cars been jacked maybe? that's a HHHHHHHUGE gap!

the aftermath looks great!
Attached Thumbnails SR Performance Lowering Springs installed-11.jpg  
Old 8/11/14, 11:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
congrats! it looks pretty good! I wish I could lower mine I'm going to drive my through the winter season and I know its going to be challenge as it is do to so with stock height. I have a question though. when you took a picture of the before image, was the car actually at its stock height or has the car been lifted prior to the image? it looks like i can see the other side from underneath from the top of the rotor which to me shows that the cars been jacked maybe? that's a HHHHHHHUGE gap! the aftermath looks great!
Nope that's how mine is. I swear the V6s are lower than GTs stock. I've noticed that with V6s running around here
Old 8/11/14, 11:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Nope that's how mine is. I swear the V6s are lower than GTs stock. I've noticed that with V6s running around here

that's INSANE!

Carpooled with my neighbor and am going to take a shot of mine when I get home and see where we end up. I have the same sized RIMS and tires on my V6!
Old 8/11/14, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

haha the car did look like it was lifted, but that was all stock suspension, honestly! hahaha
Old 8/11/14, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought my V6 looked lower than a bunch of the pics of the 5.0's too! Interesting.
Old 8/11/14, 01:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MDkid92
I always thought my V6 looked lower than a bunch of the pics of the 5.0's too! Interesting.
When I get home I'll measure the height from ground to fender edge. Someone with a stock V6 should do the same.
Old 8/11/14, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
When I get home I'll measure the height from ground to fender edge. Someone with a stock V6 should do the same.

will do!
Old 8/11/14, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

measured while parked on a level surface (my garage)

it is just a little bit higher than 29 1/4" 5/16th of an inch to be exact!
Attached Thumbnails SR Performance Lowering Springs installed-screen-shot-2014-08-11-4.49.55-pm.jpg  
Old 8/11/14, 03:50 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
measured while parked on a level surface (my garage)

it is just a little bit higher than 29 1/4" 5/16th of an inch to be exact!
For reference I measured my '14 GT w/ TrackPac and 3000 miles. 29 3/8"
Old 8/11/14, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

okay. that's basically the exact same thing. 1/16th of an inch is nothing.
Old 8/13/14, 07:58 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I went with AM and got them on sale for $159 plus the forum discount. Keep an eye on them, they go on sale pretty regularly.

As far as the stock shocks/struts failing, yes they eventually will, just like how the stock ones will fail over time with stock springs. Its just a matter of how long. They will fail especially quickly if your shocks already have a lot of mileage on them before putting on lowering springs. My car only has 5k miles, so I figured I'd see how long they'd last and save up for better ones in the future.
OP... What's the spec's on those SR springs? How much lower is it supposed to be? 1"? or 1.5"? Looks like 1.5" all around? I used to have 1.5" K springs, but after almost 2 years with it, imo, 1.5" for a drop was too much. After swapping out to about an 1" drop with my Steedas, it's a much better look and setup overall.

Now as far as the OEM shocks/struts are concerned, I too, thought that I'd keep the OEM's on the car with just the spring changes. Which I did. And for 2 years, I thought the ride and handling was "good". Nothing wrong with it, I guess. This spring, I finally switched to Koni Yellows...and I tell you what, the handling and ride is night and day. The ride is just SO much better. The handling is also far far improved. Brake dive is far less. And the rebound over bumps is more muted too. You would think that the ride would be so much stiffer, but it's actually more composed, more stable.

The analysis is akin to those folks who think that the stock manual shifter is good and have no desire to change. You can't blame them, because they just don't know how much BETTER the shifting experience is with the MGW. To be fair to them, how would they know, if they never tried? I, on the other hand, just had my stock shifter for about 500 miles, and I already thought it was bad...lol. I digress. Either way, the MGW switch was another "must have" mod.

So I guess where I'm going with this is..... don't discount the need to swap out the shocks and struts along with the springs. Those type of suspension mods should be done, imo, in tandem and at once. I too, was guilty of sticking with the stock shocks and struts with modded springs. It's "fine", but do me a favor, at least go get a ride with someone who has springs AND shocks/struts upgraded (preferrably Koni's), and you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: SR Performance Lowering Springs installed