Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Squeak After Lowing Car, Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/15, 07:21 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Bird Chirp" squeak after lowering with Koni's

Just lowered my car with a set of the Koni STR.T and Steeda Sport Springs. I also put in new sway bars and couldn't be happier with the performance, but I now have a squeak that was not there before lowering, and is getting worse and worse!

Could this be defective struts?

YouTube Video:I was shaking the car from the door frame as my wife took the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjg...r#action=share

Last edited by 2012White5.0; 4/15/15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 4/14/15, 08:30 AM

I just went through what you are experiencing. For me, I had a bad Koni strut that was just installed. It sounded like a bird chirp whenver I hit a bump. My noise was coming from only the drivers side

My setup was with Ground Control Plates, H & R springs and Koni SRT.T struts and dampers.
Old 4/14/15, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JSmies
I just went through what you are experiencing. For me, I had a bad Koni strut that was just installed. It sounded like a bird chirp whenver I hit a bump. My noise was coming from only the drivers side

My setup was with Ground Control Plates, H & R springs and Koni SRT.T struts and dampers.
Thats exaclty what mine sounds like. Do you mind telling me what you had to do to get it resolved? I have the Ground Control CC plates also. Love the setup, just not the squeak.
Old 4/14/15, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I installed lowering springs and have a sqeak/creak when going over bumps. Another forum member had the same problem after lowering and it was resolved when he replaced the factory strut mounts. They can easily be damaged during spring removal. Not saying that is guaranteed to be your problem, but its a possibility.
Old 4/14/15, 09:12 AM
V6 Member

Replaced mine with the ground contol CC plates. I has ordered a set of adjustable swaybar end links but they were on back order, It looks like the end links will be here this week, so we will see if that does anything. I had access to a lift on Saturday, and didnt want to waste the opportunity.

Last edited by 2012White5.0; 4/15/15 at 08:57 AM.
Old 4/14/15, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2012White5.0
Thats exaclty what mine sounds like. Do you mind telling me what you had to do to get it resolved? I have the Ground Control CC plates also. Love the setup, just not the squeak.
I had Koni send me a replacement strut. My strut was purchased in February so it is possible that they had some issues in production.
Old 4/14/15, 01:10 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I installed lowering springs and have a sqeak/creak when going over bumps. Another forum member had the same problem after lowering and it was resolved when he replaced the factory strut mounts. They can easily be damaged during spring removal. Not saying that is guaranteed to be your problem, but its a possibility.
I have very nearly the same problem. Lowered on sportlines and I am almost certain its the stock strut mounts. Every time I go over a bump at slow speeds I hear a similar creak coming from up front
Old 4/14/15, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JSmies

Had the same happen to me, bad Koni strut (SRT.T). Bought from AM; after confirming the chirp/squeak was coming from the strut they sent a replacement.

Problem solved.
Old 4/14/15, 04:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ~KING~
Had the same happen to me, bad Koni strut (SRT.T). Bought from AM; after confirming the chirp/squeak was coming from the strut they sent a replacement.

Problem solved.
How did you confirm the squeak? I took a video of what is happening. Bought mine from AM at the first of the March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjg...ature=youtu.be
Old 4/14/15, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you confirm the squeak? I took a video of what is happening. Bought mine from AM at the first of the March. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjg...ature=youtu.be
At first I was getting the squeak from the passenger's side strut. I switched both front struts but left the GT500 mounts and springs in their original locations/positions, after doing this the squeak "followed" the faulty strut to the driver's side.
Old 4/15/15, 04:39 AM
V6 Member

I sent AM the video and called their customer support, and they are sending me new ones. They said that they have seen this a few times with struts purchased around the time I bought mine. Both sides are doing it on mine, but the driver side is twice as loud. I disconnected the sway bar end links to make sure that was not the issue. The struts were very had to pull out to full extension when I first received them.

Glad I was able to get some great customer service!
Old 4/19/15, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Weird thing is mine did this right after install. I had a shop I trust install it and they said it was super easy. Like an hour and a half job tops for them. Anyways I took it back and had them push on the passenger side fender right about the tire and you could hear something rubbing or something. It was making a squeaking noise. I drove it for a couple weeks and before I called autoanything which is where I purchased mine and next thing you know I forgot about it b/c the noise stopped. Been on them for probably 25k miles since and no noises
Old 4/19/15, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If God meant Mustangs to be low, He would have.....
Old 4/19/15, 12:08 PM

I have the same issue. But its coming from the rear of my car.
Old 4/19/15, 03:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by choate
Weird thing is mine did this right after install. I had a shop I trust install it and they said it was super easy. Like an hour and a half job tops for them. Anyways I took it back and had them push on the passenger side fender right about the tire and you could hear something rubbing or something. It was making a squeaking noise. I drove it for a couple weeks and before I called autoanything which is where I purchased mine and next thing you know I forgot about it b/c the noise stopped. Been on them for probably 25k miles since and no noises
Well I've checked everything. I even took the endlinks off to and shook the car to make sure it wasn't the swaybar. I used some spray white lithium grease on the lower strut shaft and let it sit overnight and it has helped quiet it down. At least now it's somewhat bearable.

I don't think it's the strut mount since I used the ground control cc plates, and I haven't seen anyone complain about them.

I've gotta wait 3 weeks for replacement struts, so we will see how it is by then.
Old 4/19/15, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

So sorry to hear about your squeak. A bummer for certain.
Old 4/21/15, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Well I've checked everything. I even took the endlinks off to and shook the car to make sure it wasn't the swaybar. I used some spray white lithium grease on the lower strut shaft and let it sit overnight and it has helped quiet it down. At least now it's somewhat bearable.

I don't think it's the strut mount since I used the ground control cc plates, and I haven't seen anyone complain about them.

I've gotta wait 3 weeks for replacement struts, so we will see how it is by then.
I think mine might have been from the brand new springs seating onto the brand new rubber mounts. Hope a new strut fixes it for you or maybe it will just go away like mine did in a couple weeks
Old 4/21/15, 06:41 PM
V6 Member

So today was an abnormally cool day (about 65) so I took the stang for a drive. For the first 15 mins there was no squeak, nothing! The longer I drove and as the car heated up the worse the squeak got. Also, it is quiet during compression, and only seems to squeak when the strut rebounds.

Last edited by 2012White5.0; 4/21/15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 4/21/15, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So today was an abnormally cool day (about 65) so I took the stang for a drive. For the first 15 mins there was no squeak, nothing! The longer I drove and as the car heated up the worse the squeak got. Also, it is quiet during compression, and only seems to squeak when the strut rebounds.
It's the strut. Trust me.
Old 4/21/15, 09:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jp1seattle
It's the strut. Trust me.
Don't they have a million mile warranty? Or did I dream that up

Quick Reply: Squeak After Lowing Car, Need opinions