Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Spare Tire Option for 2011 V6 ??

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/10, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spare Tire Option for 2011 V6 ??

Order Guide states that the V6 will come standard with a "Tire Mobility Kit" and the GT will come with a "Mini Spare Tire w/18"x4.5" Aluminum Wheel". GT's with the Brembo Brake Option will get the Mobility Kit too (as was the case on 2010's with 19" wheels because the spare will not fit).

As this new GT 18" Mini Spare (or a '05-10 GT 17" size) will fit the V6, it would be pretty easy for Ford to make this an option on the V6. I'm hoping this is just an overlooked omission on this early Order Guide.

Heck, the Camaro has a similar "Mobility Kit" as std. on all models, but offer a Spare Tire option on the V6 for $150.

I ordered my car Thursday and remembered this issue this morning. E-mailed the question to the sales manager but probably won't get a reply until Monday at the earliest.

Figured I'd ask the question here as well.

Doug
Old 2/20/10, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want it, I'd guess you would be able to buy a spare separately if nothing else.
Old 2/20/10, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
If you want it, I'd guess you would be able to buy a spare separately if nothing else.
Buying a spare tire / wheel assy and jack kit OTC at a Ford dealer will more than likely be pretty expencive.

I'll get it all from a local salvage yard or e-bay from an '05-10 GT before I try and get all the parts from my dealer.

Doug
Old 2/20/10, 07:59 PM
Post *****

The 08/09 Bullitt guys ran into this with the 18's and no spare vs the GT with 17's. You couldn't just go buy a 17" GT mini spare. If you have a flat on the front its no prob, but if on the rear you'd wind up changing two tires so you have 18" on both rear sides. The challenge is if you put a different diameter spare on the rear you can damage the clutch discs in the Trak-Lok diff.

I wound up finding an 18 "mini" from a Marauder (27.7" diameter) on ebay that came the closest to the stock Bullitt diameter (27.2"). Its within 2% difference which is supposedly within allowable range.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/20/10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 2/21/10, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
The 08/09 Bullitt guys ran into this with the 18's and no spare vs the GT with 17's. You couldn't just go buy a 17" GT mini spare. If you have a flat on the front its no prob, but if on the rear you'd wind up changing two tires so you have 18" on both rear sides. The challenge is if you put a different diameter spare on the rear you can damage the clutch discs in the Trak-Lok diff.

I wound up finding an 18 "mini" from a Marauder (27.7" diameter) on ebay that came the closest to the stock Bullitt diameter (27.2"). Its within 2% difference which is supposedly within allowable range.
This has always been a problem on any friction type LSD equipped car with a mini spare. When I got my one token flat on my '98 V6 w/ added LSD, I was lucky it was on the front because my mini spare was smaller. I only had 30 miles or so to get home, but even this distance is enough to wear out a clutch pack ... if it were in the rear I would have put the spare on the front 1st then put the good front on back.

So are you saying all Mustang GT's since 1982 (T-Lok std.) have had "proper O/D mini spares" or did Ford just start doing this more recently ??

I'd rather deal with a wrong dia. mini spare and have a 50:50 chance I may have to swap a front to rear than deal with a Tire Mobility Kit. The compessor in the trunk would be nice, but if you use the sealant you not only have to get tire fixed or replaced (when you get to your destination) but you have to replace the sealant cartridge AND the TPMS sensor as the sealant ruins the sensor !!

Doug
Old 2/21/10, 09:28 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Man!!! This is the first i have heard of 'no spare tire ' for a 2011 V-6 Mustang. So all i will be getting is a bottle of fix a flat (that will tear-up the TPMS sensor) and a little 12 volt air pump? The GT gets a spare and the V-6 doesn't? I can see Mustangs with the Brembo brake option 'not' having a spare, but i think Mustangs with standard factory brakes would have a spare tire.

I think this must be a mis print.
Old 2/21/10, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Man!!! This is the first i have heard of 'no spare tire ' for a 2011 V-6 Mustang. So all i will be getting is a bottle of fix a flat (that will tear-up the TPMS sensor) and a little 12 volt air pump? The GT gets a spare and the V-6 doesn't? I can see Mustangs with the Brembo brake option 'not' having a spare, but i think Mustangs with standard factory brakes would have a spare tire.

That would be my guess as well, that it is a misprint. The V6 with performance package will have 19" wheels when it debuts later this year, and will likely come without a spare, but I think the standard V6 cars will probably have spare tires.
Old 2/21/10, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Heres all the info on the "Mobility Kit" from the 2010 Owners Manual ... it is really fun reading !!

TEMPORARY MOBILITY KIT (IF EQUIPPED)
Your vehicle may be equipped with a temporary mobility kit (located in the spare tire well in the trunk). The temporary mobility kit consists of an air compressor to reinflate the tire and a sealing compound in a canister that will effectively seal most punctures caused by nails or similar objects. This kit will provide a temporary seal allowing you to drive your vehicle up to 120 miles (200 km) at a maximum speed of 50 mph (80 km/h).

Note:
The temporary mobility kit sealant compound in the canister is to be used for one tire only. See your Ford authorized dealer for additional replacement sealant canisters.

Kit Assembly (see pic in owners manual):
1. Air compressor (inside)
2. Diverter ****
3. On/Off button
4. Air pressure gauge
5. Sealant bottle/canister
6. Sealant filling clear tube
7. Sealant tube — tire valve
connector
8. Yellow cap tool
9. Air compressor hose
10. Air hose — tire valve connector
11. Accessory power plug
12. Casing/housing

General information
WARNING:

Failure to follow these guidelines could result in an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, injury or death. Do not attempt to repair punctures larger than 14 inch (6.4 mm) or damage to the tire’s sidewall. The tire may not completely seal.

Note:

Do not use the temporary mobility kit if a tire has become severely damaged by driving the vehicle with a tire that has insufficient air pressure. Only punctured areas located within the tire tread can be sealed with the temporary mobility kit. Loss of air pressure may adversely affect tire performance. For this reason:
Do not drive the vehicle above 50 mph (80 km/h).

Do not drive further than 120 miles (200 km). Drive only to the closest Ford Motor Company authorized dealer or tire repair shop to have your tire inspected.

Drive carefully and avoid abrupt steering maneuvers.

Periodically monitor tire inflation pressure in the affected tire; if the tire is losing pressure, have the vehicle towed.

Read the information in the Tips for use of the temporary mobility kit

section to ensure safe operation of the temporary mobility kit and your vehicle.
Tips for use of the temporary mobility kit
Read the following list of tips to ensure safe operation of the temporary mobility kit:
Before operating the temporary mobility kit, make sure your vehicle is safely off the road and away from moving traffic. Turn on the hazard lights.

Always set the parking brake to ensure the vehicle doesn’t move unexpectedly.

Do not remove any foreign objects, such as nails or screws, from the tire.

When using the temporary mobility kit, leave the engine running

(only if the vehicle is outdoors or in a well-ventilated area)

so the compressor doesn’t drain the vehicle’s battery.
Do not allow the compressor to operate continuously for more than 15 minutes; this will help prevent the compressor from overheating.

Never leave the temporary mobility kit unattended when it is operating.

Sealant compound contains latex. Make sure that you use the non-latex gloves provided to avoid an allergic reaction.

Keep the temporary mobility kit away from children.

Only use the temporary mobility kit when the ambient temperature is between -22°F (–30°C) and 158°F (70°C).

Only use the sealing compound before the use by date. The use by date is on the lower right hand corner of the label located on the sealant canister (bottle).

Check the use by date regularly and replace the canister after four years.

Do not store the temporary mobility kit unsecured inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle as it may cause injury during a sudden stop or collision. Always store the kit in its original location.

After sealant use, the TPMS sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.

When inflating a tire or other objects, use the black air hose only. Do not use the transparent hose which is designed for sealant application only.

Operating the temporary mobility kit could cause an electrical disturbance in radio and DVD player operation.
What to do when a tire is punctured
A tire puncture within the tire’s tread area can be repaired in two stages with the temporary mobility kit:
In the first stage, the tire will be reinflated with a sealing compound and air. After the tire has been reinflated, you will need to drive the vehicle a short distance (approximately 4 miles [6 km]) to distribute the sealant in the tire.

In the second stage, you will need to check the tire pressure and adjust, if necessary, to the vehicle’s tire inflation pressure.

First stage: Reinflating the tire with sealing compound and air Preparation
Park the vehicle in a safe, level and secure area, away from moving traffic. Turn the hazard lights on. Apply the parking brake and turn the engine off. Inspect the flat tire for visible damage.
Sealant compound contains latex. To avoid any allergic reactions, use the non-latex gloves located in the accessory box on the underside of the temporary mobility kit housing. Do not remove any foreign object that has pierced the tire. If a puncture is located in the tire sidewall, stop and call roadside assistance.
1. Remove the valve cap from the tire valve.
2. Unwrap the clear tube from the compressor housing.
3. Remove the tube cap and fasten the metal connector of the tube to the tire valve, turning clockwise. Make sure the connection is tightly fastened.
4. Plug the power cable into the 12V power point in the vehicle.
5. Remove the warning sticker found on the canister and place it on the top of the instrument panel or the center of the dash.
6. Start the engine

(only if the vehicle is outdoors or in a well-ventilated area).

7. Turn dial (1) counterclockwise to the sealant position. Turn on the kit by pressing the on/off button (2).
8. Inflate the tire to the pressure listed on the tire label located on the driver’s door or the door jam area.
Note: When the sealing compound is first added into the tire, the air pressure gauge reading on the compressor unit may indicate a higher value; this is normal and should be no reason for concern. The pressure will drop after about 30 seconds of operation. The
tire pressure has to be checked with the compressor in the OFF position to get the correct tire pressure reading.
WARNING:

Do not stand directly over the temporary mobility kit while inflating the tire. If you notice any unusual bulges or deformations in the tire’s sidewall during inflation, stop and call roadside assistance.
WARNING:

If the tire doesn’t inflate to the recommended tire pressure within 15 minutes, stop and call roadside assistance.
9. When the recommended tire pressure is reached, turn off the kit by pressing the on/off button; disconnect the kit from the tire valve and the power point. Re-install the valve cap on the tire valve, place the tube cap on the metal connector, and return the kit to the stowage area.
Immediately and cautiously, drive the vehicle 4 miles (6 km) to distribute the sealant evenly inside the tire. Do not exceed 50 mph (80 km/h).

Note:

If you experience any unusual vibration, ride disturbance or noise while driving, reduce your speed until you can safely pull off to the side of the road to call for roadside assistance.

Do not proceed to the second stage of this operation.
11. After 4 miles (6 km), stop and check the tire pressure. See Second stage: Checking tire pressure.

Second stage: Checking tire pressure
Check the air pressure of your tires as follows:
1. Remove the valve cap from the tire valve.
2. Unhook the black hose from the side of the compressor and fasten firmly on the valve stem by turning clockwise.
WARNING:

If you are proceeding from the First stage:

Reinflating the tire with sealing compound and air
section

and have injected sealant in the tire and the pressure is below 20 psi (1.4 bar),

stop and call roadside assistance. If tire pressure is above 20 psi (1.4 bar), continue to the next step.
3. Turn the dial clockwise to the air position. Turn on the kit by pressing the on/off button.

4. Adjust the tire to the recommended inflation pressure from the tire label located on the
driver’s door or door jam area.
Note:

The tire pressure has to be checked with the compressor in the OFF position to get the correct tire pressure reading.
5. Turn the compressor off by pressing the on/off button.
6. Unplug the hoses, re-install the valve cap on the tire and return the kit to the stowage area.
WARNING:

The power plug may get hot after use and should be handled carefully while unplugging.
What to do after the tire has been sealed
After using the temporary mobility kit to seal your tire, you will need to replace the sealant canister and clear tube (hose). Sealing compound and spare parts can be obtained and replaced at an authorized Ford Motor Company dealership or tire dealer. Empty sealant bottles may be
disposed of at home; however, liquid residue from the sealing compound should be disposed by your local Ford Motor Company dealership or tire dealer, or in accordance with local waste disposal regulations.
Note:

After the sealing compound has been used, the maximum vehicle speed is 50 mph (80 km/h) and the maximum driving distance is 120 miles (200 km). The sealed tire should be inspected immediately.
Note:

After sealant use, the TPMS sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer. You can check the tire pressure any time within the 120 miles (200 km)
by performing the procedure from
Second stage: Checking tire pressure listed previously.

Removal of the sealant canister from the temporary mobility kit
1. Unwrap the clear tube from the compressor housing.
2. Locate the yellow cap at the end of the clear tube.
3. Using the yellow cap tool, press the tab located on the temporary mobility kit compressor housing while pulling up on the sealant canister.

Installation of the sealant canister to the temporary mobility kit
1. Align the sealant canister with the temporary mobility kit housing.
2. Once aligned, seat the sealant canister by lightly pushing down until you hear an audible click.
3. Wrap the clear tube around the compressor housing.
Note:

If you experience any difficulties with the removal or installation of the sealant canister, consult your Ford Motor Company authorized dealer for assistance. Be sure to check the sealant
compound’s “use by” date regularly. The “use by” date is on the lower right hand corner of the label located on the sealant canister (bottle). The sealant canister should be replaced after four years.

Doug
Old 2/21/10, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by David Young

Right from the 2011 Order Guide, page 1 ...

NEW FUNCTIONAL EQUIPMENT CHANGES
��

5.0L 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine (412 hp with 390 ft-lbs torque)

3.7L 4V Ti-VCT V6 engine (305 hp with 280 ft-lbs torque)

2.73:1 limited slip rear axle standard on V6

6-speed automatic transmission available for V6 & GT

6-speed manual transmission standard V6 & GT

Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS)

Message Center Standard

Integrated spotter mirror for side view mirror

MyKey™ Standard

Tire Mobility Kit Standard on V6

From page 7 ... GT Std. Equipment:

EXTERIOR
18" Wide Spoke Painted Aluminum Wheels

Auto Headlamps��

Dark Chrome Pony in Grille��

Dual Bright Rolled Exhaust Tips

Fog Lamps

LED Sequential Tail Lamps

Mini Spare Tire(18"x4.5" Aluminum Wheel)

Mirrors – Body Color, Dual Power with Integrated Spotter Mirror��

Rear Quarter Mounted AM/FM Antenna

Rear Spoiler

Looks pretty Black and White to me !!

Hopefully it is just an "acidental omission" that there is no Spare Tire Option code & price for the V6.

Doug

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 2/21/10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2/21/10, 12:50 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
This has always been a problem on any friction type LSD equipped car with a mini spare. When I got my one token flat on my '98 V6 w/ added LSD, I was lucky it was on the front because my mini spare was smaller. I only had 30 miles or so to get home, but even this distance is enough to wear out a clutch pack ... if it were in the rear I would have put the spare on the front 1st then put the good front on back.

So are you saying all Mustang GT's since 1982 (T-Lok std.) have had "proper O/D mini spares" or did Ford just start doing this more recently ??

I'd rather deal with a wrong dia. mini spare and have a 50:50 chance I may have to swap a front to rear than deal with a Tire Mobility Kit. The compessor in the trunk would be nice, but if you use the sealant you not only have to get tire fixed or replaced (when you get to your destination) but you have to replace the sealant cartridge AND the TPMS sensor as the sealant ruins the sensor !!

Doug
I don't know about previous years, but as I understand it the 08 Bullitt was the first "GT" class to have the kit in lieu of a proper spare. I'm told the GT500 has the kit too.
Ford throws in the kit plus roadside service but it really isn't adequate unless you're a city slicker. There are a number of roads and cut offs I like to drive where cell service is spotty so the roadside service is pretty iffy.
If I use the kit, I waste the TPMS and a good tire (assuming the puncture wasn't in the sidewall) because you can't get all the goo out of the tire and can't rebalance properly after that (according to the Dealer).
So with either of Ford's fixes, you're screwed unless you are on a nice busy freeway with tow companies and Ford dealers within striking distance. Ford should have offered the spare as an option if MSRP was their issue.
I also think that's why they 'lowered' the Bullitt a measly 6mm in the rear because of less weight in the trunk had it riding higher than it does now.
So I'm like you, I'd rather change two tires (if the flat is on the rear) than cost myself a couple of hundred bucks for a lousy flat.
I keep the compressor in the trunk because often its just a nail or screw in the tread and you can pump the tire up and limp in.
The good news is maybe Ford now has the proper tire for the Marauder 18x4 wheel to match the 235/50x18 exactly.

PS: its important to turn Traction Control OFF when using a mini spare that may be slightly different diameter than the stock tires.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/21/10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2/21/10, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't there a mod to allow a fullsize spare (i.e another 18" rim-tire) to fit.

I thought you have to trim the trim panel in the trunk to get it to fit.
Old 2/21/10, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hmmm..maybe rear seat delete and full size spare may be on my list of mods, a la CDC SEMA car....
Old 2/22/10, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, if this all turns out to be true when the V6's start production, I'm guessing it was mainly as a weight savings measure on Ford's part. Doesn't do much towards a goal of 50/50 weight distribution by removing 30 lbs or so off the back of the car, but I guess every little bit helps. At least there is still a space in the bottom of the trunk well for a spare tire, unlike some cars where the spare was deleted across the whole model line and it would have to just sit in the trunk. I often take the spare tires out of some of my cars for the summer when I'm keeping them within 100 miles of home (I have AAA with free towing up to 100 miles), but it is nice to have a spare for some piece of mind on trips farther from home.

In 23+ years of driving, I've had three flat tires, all from hitting things on the road after dark that I didn't see, two were close to home, one was 200 miles away from home. For the first two I had spares in the car, the last one was 10 miles from home, the spare was at home, so I had my wife bring out a full sized wheel/tire, lightweight floor jack, and cordless impact, and I had the tire changed in 5 minutes and was on my way. All three of my flats had either significant damage to the tire and/or wheel, and the tire sealant/compressor solution wouldn't have worked. In additon to the spare tire, when on longer trips I often carry a small comp-ressor and plug kit, as if it is a small leak, I'd rather plug it and keep going than put a space-saver spare on the car.
Old 2/22/10, 03:29 PM
GT Member

The GT's are supposed to get the 18" mini-spare (unless you get Brembo's) but what if you get the optional 19" wheels, then what? Would you run with uneven rear tires (using the spare and having manual transmission) or switch a front to rear and put the spare up front as suggested above?
Old 2/22/10, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by objoe
The GT's are supposed to get the 18" mini-spare (unless you get Brembo's) but what if you get the optional 19" wheels, then what? Would you run with uneven rear tires (using the spare and having manual transmission) or switch a front to rear and put the spare up front as suggested above?
P215/65-17 is 28.00" rolling dia. (std. V6 AT)
P225/60-17 is 27.63" rolling dia. (std. V6 MT)
P235/50-18 is 27.25" rolling dia. (std. GT / opt. V6)
P245/45-19 is 27.68" rolling dia. (opt. GT)
P255/40-19 is 27.03" rolling dia. (GT w/ Brembo Pkg.)

There is ONLY a 2.75% difference between the tallest and the shortest of all the 2011 tires used on the std. brakes and only 1.58% difference between the std. 18" GT tire and the optional 19".

Cdynaco said the recommended range for tire height variation with a Ford clutch type differential is 2%, so they could easily supply one 18" spare to fit all the 2011 applications.

27.63" dia. would fall right in the middle of all sizes (1.3 to 1.4% difference either way)
or
27.47" would fall in the middle of the 2 GT tires (0.76 to 0.80% difference either way)

Does Ford care enough to give us a temporary doughnut spare this close in dia. to the regular tires ??

It sure would be nice ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But to get back to the original question, does Ford care enough to actually offer a "spare tire" option on the V6 ??

Doug

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 2/22/10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 2/23/10, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the information, but what is the the diameter of the mini-spare? They usually are not as tall, hence mini.
Old 2/23/10, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by objoe
Thanks for the information, but what is the the diameter of the mini-spare? They usually are not as tall, hence mini.
EXACTLY ... I don't think I've ever seen a "proper diameter" mini spare myself.

Plenty of '05-10 GT owners on here ... someone needs to pull out their spare and compare the diameter to the regular tires !!

Doug
Old 2/23/10, 11:57 AM
Post *****

FYI my 18x4 Marauder spare has a tire sized T155/80D18.

It doesn't quite nestle all the way in the spare well because its 27.75 diameter and the well is 27.5. Upside down was best fit. Weighs 33#.

Keep in mind my 08 Bullitt uses 235/50x18 whereas the 08 GT had 17" unless you upgraded.

Here's a site to see the measurements for different size tires:

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

NOTES from another forum:

Something close to 27.2 thats the diameter of the stock full size tire 235-50-18. The trunk well is 8.5 deep and 27.5 across but thats under the plastic molding. real tight fit.

The spare that came with my 05 GT is a T185 X 60 X 17. [that's 25.7" diam - way too small to use as a spare on the rear for an 18" wheel] I could not measure the diameter accurately with the tire in situ.... and I did not want to take it out, it took me an hour to position everything to make sure nothing would rattle.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/23/10 at 12:01 PM.
Old 2/23/10, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just checked the 2003-04 Marauder's Staggered Tire sizes ...
P235/50-18 Front (27.25" dia.)
P245/55-18 Rear (28.61" dia.)
... with a T155/80D18 spare (27.76" dia.), it falls in the middle of the front & rear sizes but is a 3.1% difference in dia. vs. the rear tire, so it's not within the 2% spec.

Lets also compare the stock 2005 Mustng GT tire vs. it's spare ...
P235/55-17 (27.18" dia.) vs.
T185/60-17 (25.74" dia.) ... this is a 5.6% variation, almost 3 times the recommended 2%.

Bottom line is I'd be willing to bet Ford has never supplied a "mini-spare" in a Mustang that falls within the 2% acceptible diameter variation req'd. to not put excessive wear on a Traction-Lok differential.

Thanks cdynaco for the actual spare tire sizes !!

Doug
Old 2/27/10, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My salesman checked with the area rep to see if a V6 can be ordered with an optional spare ... answer was it is not an available option at this time.

Also hoped to see a 3 digit "code" for the "spare" in a DORA for a GT w/o brembo brakes since my VOC actually showed codes for the engine, trans, & tires.

Well, the sample DORA that Jeff posted (GT w/o brembo) has no mention of the spare or it's code.

I figured if I knew what the "code" for it was, my dealer could try and order a V6 and enter that code as one of the options to see if anything pops up ... heck it would be worth a shot anyway !!

Doug

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Option for 2011 V6 ??