Old 5/5/12, 02:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Petunia
? i can't even visualize this lol
Old 5/5/12, 02:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice. a convertible was actually my first choice, but i got impatient and didn't want to keep driving the crap rental the insurance co. gave me.

plus, the sales guy told me i would have to worry about people tearing the top if i parked it in the city. that kind of sold me on the coupe.
Old 5/5/12, 02:43 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I love this one

And I hope you were careful with the paintwork gettin' those heels back in
Old 5/5/12, 03:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I love this one

And I hope you were careful with the paintwork gettin' those heels back in
Ofcourse!
Old 5/5/12, 03:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

When do you sleep exactly?
Old 5/5/12, 03:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Petunia
nice. a convertible was actually my first choice, but i got impatient and didn't want to keep driving the crap rental the insurance co. gave me.

plus, the sales guy told me i would have to worry about people tearing the top if i parked it in the city. that kind of sold me on the coupe.
I like that you made that pic your avatar!

I have had convertibles before. Sometimes I miss having one. I almost bought an 07 Mustang convertible but I wasn't happy with the deal. I waited and decided that I liked the classic fastback roofline with the triangular quarter windows so much that I decided on a coupe instead. I was thinking "what says Mustang more than that?" You cannot mistake it for anything else. I got a 08 Mustang which I had for four years. The 10 I have now I have had since late February.
Old 5/5/12, 04:54 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Petunia... Nice shots.

Remember to adjust your iso. You'll want it somewhat high for that amount of lighting. Obviously you can't use a flash, so you'll have to rely on prolonged exposure and a fully open aperture. You'll need a long shutter speed too.

That's the beauty of dslrs... Just keep shooting and keep practicing. If its and HDR look you want, you'll need at least 3 shots of same subject at -, 0, + EV levels.
Old 5/5/12, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Petunia... Nice shots.

Remember to adjust your iso. You'll want it somewhat high for that amount of lighting. Obviously you can't use a flash, so you'll have to rely on prolonged exposure and a fully open aperture. You'll need a long shutter speed too.

That's the beauty of dslrs... Just keep shooting and keep practicing. If its and HDR look you want, you'll need at least 3 shots of same subject at -, 0, + EV levels.
Whoa...that went right over my head!!! You mean I can't get great shots with my Droid Razor Maxx???
Old 5/5/12, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice clean white mustang
Old 5/5/12, 07:52 AM
Cobra R Member

.................................................. ........................is that a ghost ^
Old 5/5/12, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cinque35

.................................................. ........................is that a ghost ^
that is the big bf
Old 5/5/12, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Petunia... Nice shots.

thanks! wasn't even thinking about the iso. i wonder what i had it set to, that might have made the difference.

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Whoa...that went right over my head!!! You mean I can't get great shots with my Droid Razor Maxx???
haha

Originally Posted by Pilks
Nice clean white mustang
she was actually dirty - should have washed her before taking photos lol
Old 5/5/12, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Digging the heels Michelle. The shots, and the car look great. Better than I could have done for sure.

Along with the ghost, do I see the spirits of Mustangs past in pic. #2 ? I've heard blue ords are their energy shining thru.

Last edited by wanted33; 5/5/12 at 10:40 AM.
Old 5/5/12, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Digging the heels Michelle. The shots, and the car look great. Better than I could have done for sure.

Along with the ghost, do I see the spirits of Mustangs past in pic. #2 ? I've heard blue ords are their energy shining thru.
thanks! lol and the blue orb is from a polarizing filter i had on my lens. it reflected another light ... didn't even realize it til halfway through shooting that it was screwing up the shots
Old 5/5/12, 10:51 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good
Old 5/5/12, 10:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the ISO note, be careful with it, to much and you will be getting grainy. The crispness of the photos you showed, I would imagine the person taking those was using a fairly fast lens with a large aperture... I think some 1.8 or 1.6 f-stop lenses go for around $200. I enjoyed my 1.8, but wish I had gotten a bigger aperture (smaller number) in the long run.

The bigger the aperture, the quicker you can set the shutter because more light will get in. Long exposures and high ISOs can make a picture pretty grainy.
Old 5/5/12, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

Here are some shots I took with my 1.8.... granted these are facebook quality exports cause I am to lazy to open up photoshop and save them in to a high quality internet file, but you can see, I was using only the very low light levels and a decently quick shutter speed and still getting some decent blur... a few stops more and I think they would have turned out just as crisp as the other photos you posted. But those lenses start to get expensive.

Here is a daylight one with the same lens iirc - I also think I purposely blured it a little in photoshop to give it a warmer feel
Old 5/5/12, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lalayla
Looks good
thanks amie!

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
On the ISO note, be careful with it, to much and you will be getting grainy. The crispness of the photos you showed, I would imagine the person taking those was using a fairly fast lens with a large aperture... I think some 1.8 or 1.6 f-stop lenses go for around $200. I enjoyed my 1.8, but wish I had gotten a bigger aperture (smaller number) in the long run.

The bigger the aperture, the quicker you can set the shutter because more light will get in. Long exposures and high ISOs can make a picture pretty grainy.
thanks for the tips! so should i stick with ISO of 100?... i think all my pics last night were set to 400. The lower ISO, the less grainy right? - and also longer shutter time if i'm using a higher f stop? i need a cheat sheet lol

I do have a 50mm 1.4 prime lens, but used my 18-55 mm so I could get wider angles. Guess I just have to be further away from the car to use the 50.
Old 5/5/12, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
Here are some shots I took with my 1.8.... granted these are facebook quality exports cause I am to lazy to open up photoshop and save them in to a high quality internet file, but you can see, I was using only the very low light levels and a decently quick shutter speed and still getting some decent blur... a few stops more and I think they would have turned out just as crisp as the other photos you posted. But those lenses start to get expensive.

Here is a daylight one with the same lens iirc - I also think I purposely blured it a little in photoshop to give it a warmer feel
great shots! love the bokeh in pic 3!
Old 5/5/12, 11:19 AM
V6 Member

100 is pretty low, you could easily go higher. Depending on your camera, I would say even 800 is safe. Some of the newer Nikons (sorry Nikon guy) are so stupid advanced they can handle 1600 or more and their software prevents it from graining. Take a couple at different settings and see which one works out the best for you. I would absolutely go with the prime 1.4 if you have it. Primes can be a pain, but that 1.4 at night will blow you away. you shouldn't need a very long exposure at all with that, but again, take a few, find that sweet spot for the situation. DSLRs are great because they are so forgiving and encourage experimentation.

Edit - Also, don't be afraid to play with shutter speeds, longer isn't bad, I just do most of my shooting without the benefit of a tripod and have developed some quirks about it. Given the option you can probably accomplish the same with a smaller aperture and longer exposure so long as you are shooting something that isn't moving.

Last edited by LostGeographer; 5/5/12 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Some night shots of my 2012