2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

So who's driven the 2011 3.31 V6????

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/10 | 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I test drove the 2007 GT and it felt plenty powerful for me. The 2007 GT puts out 320 lb/ft torque at 4250 RPM. So my 2011 V6 will have approximately 40 less lb/ft at 4250. How big a difference will that feel like? Keep in mind the dyno of the V6 put it more at around 287 than 280.

Like I said, the 2007 GT felt PLENTY strong for me...I can't imagine 390 lb/ft in the 2011...
Old 5/10/10 | 02:09 PM
Post *****

Keep in mind the '10 GT has the same engine tweaks as the '08 Bullitt. So there's a compromise in the middle - and they're blowin' '10's out pretty cheap.

PS: (Bullitt has 3.73's and it matters.)

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/10/10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 5/10/10 | 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
I test drove the 2007 GT and it felt plenty powerful for me. The 2007 GT puts out 320 lb/ft torque at 4250 RPM. So my 2011 V6 will have approximately 40 less lb/ft at 4250. How big a difference will that feel like? Keep in mind the dyno of the V6 put it more at around 287 than 280.
It depends on the sensitivity of your butt-o-meter. However, that is fairly sizable absolute number, which with the combined gear selection, is noticable (in my opinion).

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Like I said, the 2007 GT felt PLENTY strong for me...I can't imagine 390 lb/ft in the 2011...
Perhaps you should add to your must drive list a supercharged 2005-2010 for reference.
Old 5/10/10 | 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boomer
You're talking about the valved mufflers...
Absolutely not...

Now like I said in my write up, it was raining, so I couldn't hear it with the windows down.
But they are the typical stock mufflers (good sound, but not loud)
but quiet in the car.

Great quality, lacking in quantity.... I'd rock an aftermarket exhaust.

What would you reccommend me instaling to get that sound the C6 has with the duel mode exhaust option?

Test drove a Vert last week , and when i punched that vette it made a sound tht was so loud it would scare small children, BUT it didnt have that "cheesey" aftermarket sound-----

I am EAGERLY anticipating hearing the 2011 GT

Last edited by silverbull271; 5/10/10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 5/10/10 | 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by silverbull271
What would you reccommend me instaling to get that sound the C6 has with the duel mode exhaust option?
The V8 engine sounds of the C6 Corvette and S197 Mustang are going to have inherently different tones because of engine sizes, intake/exhaust configurations, and cylinder firing orders, as well as the muffler tuning that is characteristic to the marque.

Test drove a Vert last week , and when i punched that vette it made a sound tht was so loud it would scare small children, BUT it didnt have that "cheesey" aftermarket sound-----
Aftermarket tuning can produce some amazing and not-so-amazing results, depending on how well the exhaust manufacturer understands the total system.

I am EAGERLY anticipating hearing the 2011 GT
I assume you have heard the sound in the videos of this post or this post, correct?
Old 5/10/10 | 07:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

When I priced out a v6 Premium it came out to about $28,000. I assume with A Plan it would be about $26k. I paid just over 24k for my 2006 GT Premium w/A Plan. If anyone is concerned about power, maybe a 2010 GT might be the answer. The 3v has a ton of potential if you want more later. Seems that a Premium GT can be had for $28k.
Old 5/11/10 | 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
The V8 engine sounds of the C6 Corvette and S197 Mustang are going to have inherently different tones because of engine sizes, intake/exhaust configurations, and cylinder firing orders, as well as the muffler tuning that is characteristic to the marque.

Aftermarket tuning can produce some amazing and not-so-amazing results, depending on how well the exhaust manufacturer understands the total system.

I assume you have heard the sound in the videos of this post or this post, correct?
Duh.... how does cylinder firing order have any impact on sound? It's just a big boom one after the other, right? It's not like each cylinder is a glass with a fixed amount of water in it that generates its own unique sound -- intentionally -- and therefore would be different from one 8 cylinder to the next.

Old 5/11/10 | 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Duh.... how does cylinder firing order have any impact on sound? It's just a big boom one after the other, right? It's not like each cylinder is a glass with a fixed amount of water in it that generates its own unique sound -- intentionally -- and therefore would be different from one 8 cylinder to the next.

Firing order does impact the sound of an engine. Firing order plays a part. This affects the timing of the individual pulses in the given exhuast. A V8 fires four times per rev, so (assuming it's an even firing engine) fourth order is often dominant. But, if you have unequal length downpipes, or uneven firing intervals (i.e. Harley Davidson) you will create "odd" orders, which some people think sound powerful. Typically "even" orders sound smoother than "odd" orders...Orders are the order in which the cylinders fire.
Old 5/11/10 | 06:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
Firing order does impact the sound of an engine. Firing order plays a part. This affects the timing of the individual pulses in the given exhuast. A V8 fires four times per rev, so (assuming it's an even firing engine) fourth order is often dominant. But, if you have unequal length downpipes, or uneven firing intervals (i.e. Harley Davidson) you will create "odd" orders, which some people think sound powerful. Typically "even" orders sound smoother than "odd" orders...Orders are the order in which the cylinders fire.
Not buying it. Your assumption is that both "different firing" V8s have the exact same headers/exhaust. What if the "odd" firing V8 is tuned for its header and the "even" firing V8 is tuned for its header? Never mind the odd pulses nonsense since HD isn't building V8 engines.

No offense and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I'm not convinced.
Old 5/11/10 | 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Not buying it. Your assumption is that both "different firing" V8s have the exact same headers/exhaust. What if the "odd" firing V8 is tuned for its header and the "even" firing V8 is tuned for its header? Never mind the odd pulses nonsense since HD isn't building V8 engines.

No offense and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I'm not convinced.
Thats fine, I am sure someone else that has more expertise in this will chime in and explain things better than I can. All I know is that I have been around v8 hotrods since I was 5 yrs old and many people always mention how the firing order impacts the sound of engines. Hence why GM's sound different than Fords, etc.
Old 5/11/10 | 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

This is a very good explanation! Not that I am an expert either, but the Ford engineer with whom I've talked about this very situation mentions what you bring up here.

Length of pipes, timing of the firing, and the muffler into which this all dumps have the interplay which affects sound.

Would be lovely to see Ford's technology for mapping all these sound waves back to all of the variables that affect the sound tuning.
Old 5/11/10 | 11:12 AM
V6 Member

It may not make an enormous difference, but timing does affect sound. It is augmented heavily by the length of various pipes in the exhaust system, but it does have a subtle effect.
Old 5/11/10 | 11:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SpOnkey21
It may not make an enormous difference, but timing does affect sound. It is augmented heavily by the length of various pipes in the exhaust system, but it does have a subtle effect.
Timing or firing order? Kind of a big difference. I'll definitely agree that timing makes a difference. Still not convinced on firing order (unless someone reversed a couple of spark plug wires -- and then I'm sure it will make a difference.)
Old 5/11/10 | 11:27 AM
Banned

Wtf happened to this thread?
Old 5/11/10 | 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wtf happened to this thread?
You destroyed it...
Old 5/11/10 | 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ttbit
You destroyed it...
Old 5/11/10 | 06:13 PM
Post *****

yup sometimes you gotta let it wander a bit. it usually comes back to topic. IMO

Better than stone cold silence.
Old 5/11/10 | 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ttbit
You destroyed it...
Old 5/13/10 | 09:26 AM
GT Member

Very nice explanation.