2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

So how often do you red line your car?

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/13, 03:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The way my transmission shifts I see the red light a lot.
Old 2/27/13, 07:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've redlined once when I first got the car, quite by accident. It took me by surprise and I haven't done it since. I've had quite a few shifts just short of the redline though.
Old 2/27/13, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Never redlined in my life I'm afraid to blow something up
Old 2/27/13, 11:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Never redlined in my life I'm afraid to blow something up
You do realize, don't you, that Ford over-engineered the engine to withstand redline occasionally? If they thought redline was dangerous, they'd move the rev limiter down further. They build in room for error, so go enjoy your toy!!!
Old 2/28/13, 12:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
usually shift right before redline. only had the tach light up red a few times.
Old 3/1/13, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

My BOSS see's redline fairly regularly in 2nd gear...while Auto Crossing. That said It's not really the best thing for you to do to your engine. My opinion on it, there really is no reason to redline unless it would be unsafe to shift because it would unsettle the car during cornering/etc. For acceleration sake, typically shifting at lower RPM will yield better acceleration overall. Asuming you hit the sweet spot to keep in the TQ band. Which is probably obvious for most folks whom will read this. :-)

Last edited by ConeBoss; 3/1/13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 3/1/13, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Havent redlined it yet. I mostly do City driving in traffic so not alot of opportunities there. When I can I take it up to 6-6500.
Old 3/1/13, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Every time I drive it.
When I drive it it's usually decent weather (or NICE weather), so the first thing after starting the engine is to completely shut off the Stability/traction control system and enjoy the HP for all it's worth
I get sideways as much as I can ... I didn't buy a 6-speed manual, RWD, 420+ hp car to drive it like an old lady ... lol
Old 3/1/13, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

You do realize, don't you, that Ford over-engineered the engine to withstand redline occasionally? If they thought redline was dangerous, they'd move the rev limiter down further. They build in room for error, so go enjoy your toy!!!
Totally agree! Enjoy! I only lose it (Red line or drop out) when playing around and losing my place in relation to another loud car that might be near... As mine is still pulling, but red lines, and backs off, only forcing me to shift early. Run it!
Old 3/1/13, 07:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I get close to it pretty much every time I get it out (which is just on nice days for a cruise). I've got the shift light/tone set at 5800 so when I see it flash (can't really hear it over the s/c, it seems to have almost the same pitch) it gives me just enough time to shift right before redline in 1st and 2nd.
Old 3/2/13, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad so many people drive their car the way it was intended to be driven. I wish I had the tach light up feature. Alas, I got the important stuff instead.
Old 3/2/13, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I hit red line 2-3 times during the test drive. I've probably hit it 20 times or so. Car runs strong and It burns no oil.

Sucks for you guys living in congested cities. Out here you can be on a long stretch of road and never see another vehicle.
Old 3/2/13, 03:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once/day minimum every time I drive it. Well right at redline - not the limiter. I hate that dang limiter. And only after the engine is well warmed up. Keeps the carbon out and keeps the cylinder ridge at max rod stretch/redline.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/2/13 at 03:24 PM.
Old 3/2/13, 10:09 PM
GT Member

A redline a day keeps the carbon away?
Old 3/2/13, 10:19 PM
Post *****

The ol Italian tune-up.
Old 3/3/13, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hardly at all with my Auto unless I manually shift it.

When you redline often, and on a manual trans, it's pretty hard on the clutch assembly and transmission more so than the engine. The quality of materials on the transmissions input shaft and engineering behind our setup simply was not engineered to handle this, especially with type of fluid Ford put in the transmission for shifting ease and fuel mileage concerns.

Do yourself a favor, and try to keep the red line action, especially over the red line with tunes, to a minimum, your car will reward you with longevity and less troubles in the long run.

Okay, off the box, I need to go do some burnouts now.
Old 3/3/13, 07:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Somebody BAN this guy ^^^ ..... LMAO

j/k ...

Originally Posted by Tapakegovagnaps
A redline a day keeps the carbon away?
^^^ wise man
Old 3/3/13, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try not to do it but it happens. it is like trying to drive the speed limit in a Mustang. It is inherently possible that your gonna go over the limit. since I have put in the CIA,SCT tune, 85MM throttle body, and opened iup some of the exhuast the car has become more responsive and it does not take much to light up the limiter. Never will I ever run redline intentionally or more than a few seconds by accident.
Old 3/3/13, 12:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kn7671
Hardly at all with my Auto unless I manually shift it.

When you redline often, and on a manual trans, it's pretty hard on the clutch assembly and transmission more so than the engine. The quality of materials on the transmissions input shaft and engineering behind our setup simply was not engineered to handle this, especially with type of fluid Ford put in the transmission for shifting ease and fuel mileage concerns.

Do yourself a favor, and try to keep the red line action, especially over the red line with tunes, to a minimum, your car will reward you with longevity and less troubles in the long run.

Okay, off the box, I need to go do some burnouts now.
I have done redline at least once/day on all my vehicles - work and personal - since my 1974 J-H/Lotus without one engine or transmission failure during 'normal' service*. Every one that I drove past 100,000 miles (9) did not have any failures (nor did the ones I traded before 100k while I owned them).
*My 83 F150 needed a new engine at 218k, now has 254k and is still pullin! - still has same trans and diff and zero issues.

Whereas many people will buy a used vehicle that grandma drove to church every Sunday and think "its like brand new". Problem is, a) it's all loaded up with carbon, and b) when they do push the engine to higher rpm's they often have problems (rings or rods) because of the ridge at the top of the cylinder. Rods stretch. And when they hit the ridge grandma built in at her low rpm's, they are now damaging rings and/or ring lands and/or rods when they hit higher rpm's.

I would never want to buy a 'grandma' car. Stop driving that way! Some people may think they're caring for their engine/trans but they're are not.

And I'm sure Ford has engineered the entire drive train to handle the specified redline - with room to spare.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/3/13 at 12:32 PM.
Old 3/3/13, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alot today made probably 15 autocross runs

Quick Reply: So how often do you red line your car?