2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Skip Shift and Hill Start Assist

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/10, 08:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It also doesn't talk about "skip shift." Maybe neither one will be on there?

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
There is no hill-assist feature for any of the S197 Mustangs prior to model year 2011, and there is nothing in the 2011 order guide which mentions this feature.
Old 1/26/10, 08:48 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
It also doesn't talk about "skip shift." Maybe neither one will be on there?
The skip shift was confirmed somewhere in an article (maybe the 19 page one?). I was doubtful until I read it with my own eyes. It's coming, just keep your pants on, since it's really not a big deal.
Old 1/26/10, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Dave, I'm pretty sure that it'll be VERY similar to the ones used for skip shift elimination on the GM 6-speed. Basically an intermediate pigtail that will fool the trans that the signal is (or isn't) there. It may be part of the ECU tuning, but that still remains to be seen.
Thanks..
Old 1/26/10, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

The skip shift was confirmed somewhere in an article (maybe the 19 page one?). I was doubtful until I read it with my own eyes. It's coming, just keep your pants on, since it's really not a big deal.

From what I remember of the details on it, it'll only activate if you are under 15mph. Granted the gearing ratio is different on the '11s, but I rarely shift into 2nd under 15mph currently... shouldn't be difficult to adjust habits if it applies to you....
Old 1/26/10, 02:45 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
skip shift and hill start assist. No thank you.

I drive a manual because i like having full control of my car. I'f buy an auto if i wanted those.
Old 1/26/10, 03:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
skip shift and hill start assist. No thank you.

I drive a manual because i like having full control of my car. I'f buy an auto if i wanted those.
Yeah, but doesn't the Batmobile have a lot of automated car functions?
Old 1/26/10, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Yeah, but doesn't the Batmobile have a lot of automated car functions?
It only looks that way to keep amateurs like me from trying to drive it.
Old 1/26/10, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Skip shift may not be a big deal to you, but like another poster said, go on over to the camaro5.com forums and read what they think about it. It's generally hated. NO ONE likes it. Some guys say they live with it, others have installed the skip shift eliminator kit because they can't stand it, and others drive the car more aggressively than they normally would JUST to avoid the skip shift intrusion.

Skip shift is a feature that improves fuel economy, yet its an annoyance that forces many owners to "defeat" it by driving more aggressively than they would if it wasn't there. The irony is that these owners get worse fuel economy than they would if the skip shift were not installed!
Old 1/27/10, 05:25 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by wjones14
Skip shift may not be a big deal to you, but like another poster said, go on over to the camaro5.com forums and read what they think about it. It's generally hated. NO ONE likes it. Some guys say they live with it, others have installed the skip shift eliminator kit because they can't stand it, and others drive the car more aggressively than they normally would JUST to avoid the skip shift intrusion.

Skip shift is a feature that improves fuel economy, yet its an annoyance that forces many owners to "defeat" it by driving more aggressively than they would if it wasn't there. The irony is that these owners get worse fuel economy than they would if the skip shift were not installed!
I didn't say it wasn't a big deal to me, I said it's something that won't be a big deal to get rid of. Big difference there.

Everyone is getting worked up about it and it's not a huge thing to overcome. It won't cost hundred of dollars to remove, and it won't be something that requires hours of work to get rid of, so if you don't want it, no need to worry, since you'll be able to get rid of it quickly and painlessly. I don't like the idea of something choosing what I can and cannot do on a manual transmission.
Old 1/28/10, 02:24 PM

Ok sorry to be a dumb *** here, but what is skip shift ??

I know what hill start assist is, my old man has it on a subaru of his, I hated it with a passion, cant imagine why a mustang would ever need a feature like this
Old 1/28/10, 03:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Skip shift = if you don't gun it, the transmission locks out 2nd and 3rd, and you are forced to shift from 1 to 4rth gear.
Old 1/28/10, 04:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Does the Camaro skip shift eliminator works for the 'Stang !
Old 1/28/10, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Does the Camaro skip shift eliminator works for the 'Stang !
Probably not. Camaro has a different transmission.
Old 1/28/10, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Of all the things about the new tranny, I am most concerned about it's strength once mods start to get added.
Old 1/29/10, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't say it wasn't a big deal to me, I said it's something that won't be a big deal to get rid of. Big difference there.

Everyone is getting worked up about it and it's not a huge thing to overcome. It won't cost hundred of dollars to remove, and it won't be something that requires hours of work to get rid of, so if you don't want it, no need to worry, since you'll be able to get rid of it quickly and painlessly. I don't like the idea of something choosing what I can and cannot do on a manual transmission.
That's cool, no doubt it's not a huge deal to eliminate the thing.

I wouldn't say that I'm worked up about it, but I do not like it at all. I have to buy and install the eliminator kit (when it becomes available), so I'm just not crazy about throwing $30-$50 out the window with no performance gain. If the kit takes care of it with no glitches, then I'm sure I'll forget about the hassle in no time. I just hate it, that's all...
Old 1/30/10, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just hope a few of the engineers developing the new transmission were slick enough to make it as easy or easier to defeat than the GM version. After all, it's only to force the mileage test to actually maximize the mileage, yes? Something we can do by choice if we want to replicate the fuel savings. Might end up being my first and only mod if it annoys me (I was in to performance mods with my 80's cars, but I'm happy with what comes right out of the gates for late model Mustangs...though I could see potentially getting a different set of tires if the traction sucks).
Old 1/30/10, 09:43 AM

Skip Shift

The skip shift can be defeated with a resistor that is installed between the connections that lead to the transmission. They are available on a variety of websites and I have to think that it will the Mustang aftermarket will be all over this. I have a Tremac equipped GTO and it took a grand total of 3 minutes and $30 - I put it in during an oil change. I strongly recommend this mod as you do not want an arbitrary lock-out engaging during driving.
Old 4/23/10, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

My parents got a 2009 Corvette and a 2010 Camaro. Both have the skip-shift, and it basically just locks out 2nd and 3rd when you're going easy on the throttle, but only when starting out. It's annoying, and not really a performance enhancement. The skip shift exists for the singular purpose of exploiting a loophole in EPA testing procedures. I was told that the EPA basically only shifts up three times and follows their little book of "Ye Olde Testing Procedures" and would just ignore 5th and 6th gear if they didn't put the Skip-Shift in (so they go 1-4-5-6 instead of 1-2-3-4). It sounds stupid, it might be rumor, but that's what I was told. That's why the bloody skip-shift is so massively specific. It's tailored solely for the EPA gas mileage test.

If you want my recommendation: Kill it, kill it with prejudice.

It's a pretty easy mod to install really, once you get the kit (which consists of a short cable with connectors on either side) you just crawl up under the car, find the transmission, find the control connection, pull it out, put the mod in on both sides and it'll kill the signal to the Transmission to lock out 2nd and 3rd. Note that the "Skip Shift Conditions Met" light will still show up, but you can now just ignore it, because it can't actually lock out 2nd and 3rd.

There are more expensive kits that even kill the light, but they learned to live with it.

As for me, I got to have the fun job of crawling up under both of those cars and plugging the things in (It really wasn't -that- bad, just be careful not to bend any pins. It probably has a tough snap, but don't force it, lift the back latch and it should slide on easily).

They still haven't let me drive either.
Old 4/23/10, 11:50 PM
GTR Member

Skip shift has nothing to do with EPA test procedures and all to do with getting the best fuel economy by forcing the car to the higher gears sooner getting the RPM down as quick as possible.
Old 4/24/10, 12:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why else have it at all? Why not just write in the manual "All gas mileage is written considering a 1-4 shift between 15-20 MPH but only once after accelerating from 0 MPH, and is *insert company here* recommended for maximum gas mileage"?

Quick Reply: Skip Shift and Hill Start Assist