2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Skip Shift Anomoly 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/10, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One gear that seems to always be smooth is 3rd to 4th, no matter what the temp of the trans is. You can litteraly use two fingers to bring it back into 4th when you're just crusing around.
Old 7/8/10, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Might be right about the clutch. 2nd may just be pickier about it than the other gears.
Old 7/8/10, 09:51 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JobeNole44
After driving mine for a month, I have noticed something. I do not think this skip-shift feature actually makes you shift into 4th. I have shifted into 2nd several times with the message on the display with no problems. BUT... I have noticed that this tranny likes to go from 1->4 on its own. What I mean is if I simply pull straight back on the stick, it will go slightly right and into 4th, message or no message. To get to second I have to pull back and to the left when shifting. Even if I do that, it still feels like there is some resistance when I shift into 2nd. Kind of like the car wants to go from 1->4. BTW, I feel the same with 5->6 shift. I have to pull back and to the right to go to 6th, otherwise it wants to go back to 4th. Anyone else concur?
Originally Posted by Agent
JobeNole44, you took the words right out of my mouth. Sorry to hear it doesn't get better with time.
Originally Posted by Norberd
I've noticed this as well. Also when it's cold the gears seem to have notches (third especially) but once it warms up it's silky smooth!

It's almost second nature now to shift into 6th with my palm slightly open to the passenger side.
Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Also, only 2nd gear feels like it is resisting for me, and this is only some of the time. For all other gears the stick goes in very smoothly. Figures there was a solenoid for the skip shift feature that was making the 2nd gear gate slightly smaller or something. IDK, figure if there is a problem a TSB will eventually be released and we will all get a repair under warranty. Not to worried about it, haven't ground it yet, knock on wood.
Originally Posted by Lancel
Nope, I've noticed the same thing. Second is a bit rougher to put the shifter at. Not had any trouble picking the right gear really, though I think the metal shifter **** makes it a little easier to pull at any direction you want. I have also noticed that 6th seems just a little further out than the rest.
I've noticed this too guys! I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one
Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
It's called a "spring-centered" or "center-biased" shifter ... The B&M Ripper I put on my '98 & '04 T5 transmissions worked this way too.

This was not needed with the old 4-Speeds as there was not a "center" gate.

Once you get used to it, it can actually "help" you find gears.

Without an external double H gate (typically seen on MT Ferrari's and other high end imports), I would NOT want to have a non-center biased shifter in a 6-speed car ... nor would anyone.

I'm still getting used to it in my V6, the problem is I still need to "think" about it. Last night, I went to pass a row of slow cars sitting in the left lane. I was trying to downshift into 4th from 6th (should have been easy if I let the center bias do it's job), but I ended up in 2nd and wound motor out to 5500 RPM. No big deal with these engines 6.5k+ redline, but it caught me off guard and certainly got me flustered !!

Played around with it a bit after that incident and with the 2.73 gears that I have, a downshift that puts it in the power-band at 65 MPH would have been 6th to 3rd, not 6th to 4th.

A V6 with 2.73's ...
2nd would be ideal at 35-45 MPH (3000-4000 RPM range)
3rd would be ideal at 50-70 MPH
4th would be ideal at 70-90 MPH

A V6 with 3.31's ...
2nd would be ideal at 30-35 MPH
3rd would be ideal at 40-55 MPH
4th would be ideal at 55-75 MPH

Doug
Thanks for that explanation Doug. As I get more used to it its becoming less of a problem. But now that you've explained why, I can adjust my driving.
Old 7/8/10, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

While on the topic of anomolies, has anyone else noticed the brake pedal "clunking" when you take you're foot off?
Old 7/8/10, 11:42 AM
GT Member

I have noticed that. When moving your foot quickly from brake to accel, it goes back to "ready position" (lol did not know what to call it) very quickly, making a thud. Guess the brake pedal moving to a postion to be pushed again as quickly as possible is not a bad thing... Do not know if the spring is too strong or if the dead position on the pedal is too big.
Old 7/8/10, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
While on the topic of anomolies, has anyone else noticed the brake pedal "clunking" when you take you're foot off?
Yes. Once. It's difficult for me to reproduce and I don't really hear anything from it, but when I braked very lightly once I started to go to the accelerator but paused with my foot just barely touching the brake pedal still, and I felt it kick just every so slightly. I tried to reproduce it right after but didn't have success. It's very subtle on my pedal, but it's there.
Old 7/8/10, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok... Here's my thoughts on this skip shift...

IF YOU ACTIVATE SKIP SHIFT, YOU'RE DRIVING THE CAR WRONG!

The ONLY WAY this this activates is when, from a dead stop, you're accelerating slow, and reach roughly 3,000 rpm's (on my 3.73 geared GT) with 1st gear, then the skip shift will activate.

If you're accelerating slow, then there's NO WAY you should be taking 1st gear up to 3,000 rpm's!

If you're accelerating fast, then it won't activate.

Thus: you should never hit skip shift while driving.
Old 7/8/10, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

What if we accelerate the car moderately? It really only rarely tries to get in my way.
Old 7/10/10, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
When Installing my clutch stop. I have also found out that if you dont push the clutch in far enough that will have a big effect on going into 2nd gear And it more of a problem shifting at a higher RPM's as well. If it seems a little notchy going into 2nd just make sure you are going far enough with the clutch.

I had originally set the stop to high. And while it seemed to work fine 2nd was a little tight and I was unable to shift hard into second. (ie wasn't able to chirp second)

I dropped the stop just a little lower and the notchiness went away and I can chirp second all day
I'm glad you mentioned this, because I was about to ask why my 1-2 shift was so problematic (thought at first it was just my sheer lack of skills)...Will try pushing the clutch in all the way tomorrow....
Old 7/11/10, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by OBleedingMe
Gas guzzzler tax - what a JOKE. If I, the consumer, chooses to purchase a truck or performance vehicle with low gas mileage, I alone bear the fuel cost of that vehicle. There are ZERO third-parties affected. If the general public wants higher MPG vehicles, they will purchase them. This tax accomplishes nothing but give the environmentally conscious a false feeling of accomplishment.
I wouldn't mind it so much if they used that money to fix roads, pay the folks at registration and traffic cops a decent wage, built more rest areas, or even spend it on drivers training for teens. Chances are it's going to some politicans pet peeve project.
Old 7/11/10, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have read somewhere that throttle position also plays a part in activating the skip shift. Cant remember where I saw this though. Could have been on the GM cars I am thinking about. The big question is how to disable it forever. I would get very annoyed with this quickly.
Old 7/11/10, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
So when it flashes, it hasn't necessarily locked you out yet? Thats why I thought it was turning itself on and off earlier. Whenever that light comes on fear instantly comes over me cuz I don't wanna shift into 2nd accidentally and break something lol.
Hahaha!
Old 7/13/10, 05:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Under normal, everyday driving, it NEVER kicks in. If someone, for some reason, slowly accelerates and, instead of shifting into 2nd when they should, decides to keep taking 1st up, then it will throw you into 4th, which it really should do if you take 1st up too high.

Future buyers, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 7/13/10, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

I've got over 600 miles on mine and the skip shift kicked in for the first time today. I was in a line of cars creeping through a construction zone. Although second was locked out, it allowed me to put it in third instead of fourth.
Old 7/13/10, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I only read the first page, but I noticed a distinct lack of one fact: Skip shift will on activate if you are applying less than (15-25)% throttle. The most likely scenario for this to happen is when making a left turn from a stop light, in my experience.

Edit: Since it might as well all be included in one post, the following scenario's must all be met:

Between 12-20 MPH
Less than 15-20% throttle
Obviously be in first gear

Also: A very, very easy way around skip shift, which I've found myself doing just about everytime I'm turning left at an intersection: The only time skip shift will activate, is when going directly from 1 down to 2. If you shift from first, go to the center of neutral (Or, the space inbetween 3 and 4) and back to second, you will override skip shift. It's extremely quick and easy once you've done it a few times.

Last edited by KonaBlue5.0; 7/13/10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 7/13/10, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
If you shift from first, go to the center of neutral (Or, the space inbetween 3 and 4) and back to second, you will override skip shift. It's extremely quick and easy once you've done it a few times.
Old 7/15/10, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

My skip shift kicked in a couple of times, and I would just pull it into second anyway.

I think I broke it, it don't try that **** anymore.

Also, just banged my first redlined first to second power shift. No problem!
Old 7/16/10, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I personally love it. I skip every second gear anyways while cruising. 3.73s are short as hell but its nice to have them there for when you need them. But just driving around its 1-3-5 or rolling from a stop sign its 2-4-5. Plenty for low-end torque for everyday driving.
Old 9/4/10, 11:10 PM

Ah, now that I own my very own Mustang I can finally register and post in the forums. The information I got here before buying was invaluable - thanks to those who post worthwhile responses. Now to the question at hand.

I'm not thrilled with Skip-Shift. Really Ford? Why? Everything else was perfect. Power and MPG? Safety and a phenomenal stereo? You built the perfect daily driver race car for $28k less than an M3. And then this?

According to the Ford Racing website (link below), the "2011 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACKAGE" eleminates Skip-Shift. In includes an air filter, oil filter, mufflers, and - you guessed it - a tuner. Does anyone have information about getting Ford Racing parts installed so that everything else (if not those parts as well) remains safely covered by factory warranty? I'd love to get rid of this, but it's not worth destroying a warranty over.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12345

P.S. If you haven't seen the MotorTrend video and review of the 2011 GT vs. the 2011 M3, find it.
Old 9/4/10, 11:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Ah, now that I own my very own Mustang I can finally register and post in the forums. The information I got here before buying was invaluable - thanks to those who post worthwhile responses. Now to the question at hand.

I'm not thrilled with Skip-Shift. Really Ford? Why? Everything else was perfect. Power and MPG? Safety and a phenomenal stereo? You built the perfect daily driver race car for $28k less than an M3. And then this?

According to the Ford Racing website (link below), the "2011 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACKAGE" eleminates Skip-Shift. In includes an air filter, oil filter, mufflers, and - you guessed it - a tuner. Does anyone have information about getting Ford Racing parts installed so that everything else (if not those parts as well) remains safely covered by factory warranty? I'd love to get rid of this, but it's not worth destroying a warranty over.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12345

P.S. If you haven't seen the MotorTrend video and review of the 2011 GT vs. the 2011 M3, find it.
Just get the stuff installed by the dealer and you get a 3/36 warranty except on superchargers.

You can force the stick past the skip-shift or just use a few more revs in 1st to avoid it.

Quick Reply: Skip Shift Anomoly 2011 GT