2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

SIRIUS Radio past the free 6 months ...

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/10, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUEMACH1
Something I found out you can put the paid account on hold for 3 months at a time and call back and repeat so if you park your car for the winter a 1 year plan could last 2 maybe! But the really don't like to advertise this!
That's very interesting. I'm enjoying Sirius during the 6-month free trial period, but decided I'm not going to subscribe. I live in NW Minnesota and the Mustang will spend about 4.5 months in the garage each year. I figured that if I were going on a long road trip I could subscribe for just one month. But if can get a better price by waiting until they've called me a couple of times, AND be able to put the account on hold for 3 months at a time, I might just do that.
Old 10/2/10, 05:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'm slowly getting addicted to '80s on 8
Old 10/2/10, 06:47 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I've had Sirius in my cars since 07. I will never be without it. I can't stand regular 'radio'. All the b.s. talking on how 'great' their station is and crap like that, 30 minutes of talking then play 4 songs.

I feel better now
Old 10/2/10, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I could really care less either way on the radio. But the big thing for me is the live traffic on the Nav. What is the minimum plan I need to get to keep that function working?

That is definately one thing I could not live without at this point.
Old 10/3/10, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Commercials suck, FM DJ's blabby on "music" stations 1/2 the time suck.

Sirius rocks.

Cheapest entertainment with the most choices you have with ANY format.

Think of it this way, if you legally buy 10 songs a month for your itunes, you've paid what it will cost you to listen to tens of thousands of songs on Sirius, plus talk, sports, Howard, etc.
And you don't have to listen to the same songs over and over again like you do on your Ipod.
And Sirius "updates" the songs FOR you as they are released.

Again, for pure entertainment per dollar ratio, it's the best deal around.
Well worth the $10 a month.

Another no brainer option to have on your car if you spend more than 20 minutes a day in it.
Old 10/3/10, 10:28 AM
Banned

I bought the lifetime package, and yes, you can transfer it to your next vehicle and as well you get a cut rate if you buy other receivers. I figured that the lifetime pays for itself in just under 4 years and since the truck is over 5 years It's like getting a year free. And then since I get the second car at (IIRC) $8 a month it's pretty cheap. OFC, it depends how much time you spend in your car -- I spend a minimum of 8 hours a week in my car so it works out to a quarter a day. And on long trips it's great -- no more searching around for local stations.
Old 10/3/10, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

a friend that has been inthe industry for many years told me, they send a shut down to the "sat reciever", for about 1 month.. my car will be in the garage sleeping for the winter.. after that 1 month time they dont send it again.. if your radio is shut off during that time. you dont get the signal.. you can get free sat radio after the 6 month trial.. my uncle's Saturn has sat radio, and stores it all winter every winter, 2 seater convertible.. and hasnt paid for ANYTHING in 2 years with full functioning sat..

Last edited by pony racer; 10/4/10 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10/4/10, 08:46 AM

I've thought about canceling my subscriptions many times over the years, but I just can't live without Little Steven's Underground Garage, Sirius XMU, and Howard Stern.
Old 10/4/10, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I got the lifetime subscription in my T/A a few years ago when it was on sale for $399 - it is already paying for itself since I'm past the 31 month break-even point. I will transfer it to the Mustang as soon as the free trial period expires. There us a $75 transfer charge but I've heard that you can sweet-talk the customer service rep into waiving the charge. Even so, that's less than the cost of a 6 month subscription and I'm getting 6 months free with the car anyway so it's all good.

Originally Posted by pony racer
a friend that has been inthe industry for many years told me, they send a shut down to the "sat reciever", for about 1 month.. my car will be in the garage sleeping for the winter.. after that 1 month time they dont send it again.. if your radio is shut off during that time. you dont get the signal.. you can get free sat radio after the 6 month trial.. my uncle's Saturn has sat radio, and stores it all winter every winter, 2 seater convertible.. and hasnt paid for ANYTHING in 2 years with full functioning sat..
That just means your uncle is a thief. It's no different than copying DVDs or illegal music downloads. Certainly not something I would brag about.
Old 10/9/10, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

That just means your uncle is a thief. It's no different than copying DVDs or illegal music downloads. Certainly not something I would brag about.
agreed
Old 10/9/10, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am confused. The following is from the from the OP:

Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS, it is defective. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one person to another based upon a stolen or accidentally damaged Receiver you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS, the Receiver is defective.

I have a lifetime subscription on an '06 Jeep and was unable to transfer it. I left it, so I could simply add my other two cars to the account. In reading the information from Sirius and talking with the customer service rep, it appears transfers only apply to home units or mobile units in a car, not the factory receiver. Did I get bad info?
Old 10/9/10, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL

Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS, it is defective. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one person to another based upon a stolen or accidentally damaged Receiver you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS, the Receiver is defective.

I have a lifetime subscription on an '06 Jeep and was unable to transfer it. I left it, so I could simply add my other two cars to the account. In reading the information from Sirius and talking with the customer service rep, it appears transfers only apply to home units or mobile units in a car, not the factory receiver. Did I get bad info?
When I got the lifetime sub for my truck I specifically asked them if I can transfer it to another car they said yes. If they were to renege on it now I would tell them to bag their ***, cancel all the subs and never buy nor recommend their product again.
Old 10/9/10, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In reading the information from Sirius and talking with the customer service rep, it appears transfers only apply to home units or mobile units in a car, not the factory receiver. Did I get bad info?
I'm kind of getting the impression that it's like calling the IRS and asking a tax question. The answer will vary depending on who answers the phone.
Old 10/9/10, 07:26 PM

I didn't know about the life time subscription. I wonder why it was never offered to me? I always paid for a whole year at a time. I think i'll do that (life time sub.) when mine expires.
Old 10/11/10, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

My understanding is that lifetime subscriptions purchased prior to the Sirius/XM merger could be transferred to another device for a $75 transfer fee. Later lifetime subscriptions may not be transferable. There was no limitation on OEM vs portable or home units. In fact, I am transferring the lifetime subscription from my wife's SUV to the Mustang as soon as my free 6 months expires. There is still some question about whether I will be able to continue TravelLink and traffic under the lifetime subscription (even if I pay the difference).
Old 10/11/10, 01:08 PM
Banned

My understanding is that lifetime subscriptions purchased prior to the Sirius/XM merger could be transferred to another device for a $75 transfer fee. Later lifetime subscriptions may not be transferable. There was no limitation on OEM vs portable or home units. In fact, I am transferring the lifetime subscription from my wife's SUV to the Mustang as soon as my free 6 months expires. There is still some question about whether I will be able to continue TravelLink and traffic under the lifetime subscription (even if I pay the difference).
When I bought the lifetime sub it was long before the merger, so that may be the case. As long as they honour the agreement I made ...
Old 10/11/10, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am the OP ... I copied and pasted what is in RED right from the Sirius "Terms and Conditions" section of their web site ... it was NOT something I was told over the phone, had heard from someone else, or just made up.

Don't believe me, go on their web site and read it yourself !!

I'll be letting mine lapse and wait for them to try and contact me with some kind of special deal. I'm going to keep this car for probably 5.5 years more and my limit is $5 / month or $330. If they are not willing to go that low, I guess I'd be willing to pay the $499 if it were a "Tranferable" Lifetime Subscription ... maybe I can get them to agree to that.

Doug
Old 10/11/10, 05:21 PM

Thats something to think about with the TravelLink and Traffic. I bet they won't be included with the Lifetime plan
Old 10/12/10, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
I am the OP ... I copied and pasted what is in RED right from the Sirius "Terms and Conditions" section of their web site ... it was NOT something I was told over the phone, had heard from someone else, or just made up.

Don't believe me, go on their web site and read it yourself !!

I'll be letting mine lapse and wait for them to try and contact me with some kind of special deal. I'm going to keep this car for probably 5.5 years more and my limit is $5 / month or $330. If they are not willing to go that low, I guess I'd be willing to pay the $499 if it were a "Tranferable" Lifetime Subscription ... maybe I can get them to agree to that.

Doug
Doug...I was not questioning your information, and in fact that is exactly what I was told by Sirius when I tried to transfer my Lifetime subscription from our Jeep. It seemed some posters were getting different information from these guys, and yours was the only one that actually quoted info from the Sirius site, not the verbal, non-binding comments of their telemarketers, and that is why I quoted it. Sorry if my comments offended you, that was not my intention.

I have since spoken with Sirius, and for $98.00 they are going to extend the contract on the Mustang for two years after the 6 month trial period. At least that is what I was told...we shall see in three months.
Old 10/12/10, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Thats something to think about with the TravelLink and Traffic. I bet they won't be included with the Lifetime plan
Oh, I'm not expecting it to be included either but at this point the Sirius customer service people don't even know whether I'll be able to "add" the traffic and TravelLink to my lifetime subscription by paying the difference (monthly, yearly, or whatever). The services are available separately from the music channels but the radio has the same ESN for both so it may be difficult to get the right combination working with the lifetime music subscription.

Quick Reply: SIRIUS Radio past the free 6 months ...