2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Significant rotor wear - passenger rear

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/14 | 08:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Significant rotor wear - passenger rear

I've noticed my right rear rotor has significant wear on the inside particularly. No other rotor shows signs of any wear really. I do run more aggressive pads compared with stock but I think there is a rubbing issue or something. Any input? I've never driven the car with the parking brake on or anything. Also, pad wear seems to be the same right to left on the rear, which to me sounds a bit odd if one rotor is significantly worn and one is not

Appreciate input
Old 4/9/14 | 09:23 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Maybe TC trying to keep the right rear from spinning?
Old 4/9/14 | 10:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I've noticed my right rear rotor has significant wear on the inside particularly. No other rotor shows signs of any wear really. I do run more aggressive pads compared with stock but I think there is a rubbing issue or something. Any input? I've never driven the car with the parking brake on or anything. Also, pad wear seems to be the same right to left on the rear, which to me sounds a bit odd if one rotor is significantly worn and one is not Appreciate input
Sounds like a bad rotor.
Especially if the pads on the other side have the same pad wear. If the pad was rubbing, the passenger pad should be more worn than the drivers side.
Old 4/10/14 | 04:12 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Maybe TC trying to keep the right rear from spinning?
I think its the TC too. It does strange things. Its possible for the rear pads to wear out before the front pads. Instead of like in the old days , two sets of fronts pads to one set of rear pads
Old 4/10/14 | 04:24 AM
Post *****

Could be E brake cables hanging up or need adjusting. One goes from the brake lever to the rear, then splits to L/R wheels.
Old 4/10/14 | 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I think its the TC too. It does strange things. Its possible for the rear pads to wear out before the front pads. Instead of like in the old days , two sets of fronts pads to one set of rear pads
Yep - a definite possibility. I took wheels off to powder coat and decided to check my brakes while it is apart. The fronts have over half life left and the backs are worn significantly past half. I have gotten over 50K on back discs in the past so I can only attribute this to the TC trying to control the car.
Old 4/10/14 | 08:16 AM
GTR Member

If it was any kind of pad drag or traction control action then the pad would be wearing faster too, if pad wear is equal on both sides, and both sides of the rotor too, then it seems to me that it has to be a rotor issue, like maybe it didn't make it through heat treat fully or something.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 4/10/14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 4/10/14 | 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've noticed my right rear rotor has significant wear on the inside particularly. No other rotor shows signs of any wear really. I do run more aggressive pads compared with stock but I think there is a rubbing issue or something. Any input? I've never driven the car with the parking brake on or anything. Also, pad wear seems to be the same right to left on the rear, which to me sounds a bit odd if one rotor is significantly worn and one is not

Appreciate input
If it is indeed only happening primarily on the inside of the rotor, make sure the caliper is floating (Sliding back and forth) freely on the mounts and if there are inner and outer pistons in the caliper that the inner pistons are retracting and not hung up. I would even go so far as to make sure you don't have one oddball pad in there. Check the basics before tossing the TC under the bus!

John
Old 4/10/14 | 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Since the rear calipers are of the single piston variety if The piston was sticking there would be excessive wear on both sides of the rotor. If it were teh TC then again the wear would be both sides as when the brakes are engaged both sides are engaged.

The caliper couod be frozen on the pins but typically when this happens one side of the rotor gets little to no contact and rusts up badly.

I am going to go with a bad set of brake linings. I would say the inner lining is too hard. This can happen and when that happens it tears the rotor to shreds.
Old 4/10/14 | 02:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
If it is indeed only happening primarily on the inside of the rotor, make sure the caliper is floating (Sliding back and forth) freely on the mounts and if there are inner and outer pistons in the caliper that the inner pistons are retracting and not hung up. I would even go so far as to make sure you don't have one oddball pad in there. Check the basics before tossing the TC under the bus!

John
Yep, the caliper moves freely, and I retracted the pistons when I put in my new pads. I put in the pads myself, they are definitely all the same in the back. Good points to check of course
Old 4/10/14 | 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Since the rear calipers are of the single piston variety if The piston was sticking there would be excessive wear on both sides of the rotor. If it were teh TC then again the wear would be both sides as when the brakes are engaged both sides are engaged.

The caliper couod be frozen on the pins but typically when this happens one side of the rotor gets little to no contact and rusts up badly.

I am going to go with a bad set of brake linings. I would say the inner lining is too hard. This can happen and when that happens it tears the rotor to shreds.
What do you mean brake linings? You mean the inner pad? Inner and outer pads are identical, I installed them. And yes, I installed them correctly Brakes work perfectly fine, and I do know the right rear gets a bit more work out usually when I leave TC on. I'll try to measure the wear to give a better comparison. Might just bring it in to have it looked at.
Old 4/10/14 | 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

What do you mean brake linings? You mean the inner pad? Inner and outer pads are identical, I installed them. And yes, I installed them correctly Brakes work perfectly fine, and I do know the right rear gets a bit more work out usually when I leave TC on. I'll try to measure the wear to give a better comparison. Might just bring it in to have it looked at.
Brake lining = the wearable side of the brake pad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_lining
if one of the brake linings or brake pads as you prefer to call them (just havign fun BTW. No disrespect) is too hard it will wear down a rotor quickly.

Brake linings should be a bit softer than the rotors so that the brake lining wears faster than the rotor. If the lining is too hard which happens occasionally it will wear the rotor faster than the lining wears.

I am certain you installed them correctly. It has nothing to do with the install. It means the material that the lining was manufactured with may be too hard. Again it happens occasionally. The remedy is to machine the rotor and discard if the rotor can no longer be machined and install new brake linings.

I am just trying to give advice. I am an ASE certified Master Tech and am just trying to help. :-)
Old 4/10/14 | 04:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Brake lining = the wearable side of the brake pad.
Brake lining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if one of the brake linings or brake pads as you prefer to call them (just havign fun BTW. No disrespect) is too hard it will wear down a rotor quickly.

Brake linings should be a bit softer than the rotors so that the brake lining wears faster than the rotor. If the lining is too hard which happens occasionally it will wear the rotor faster than the lining wears.

I am certain you installed them correctly. It has nothing to do with the install. It means the material that the lining was manufactured with may be too hard. Again it happens occasionally. The remedy is to machine the rotor and discard if the rotor can no longer be machined and install new brake linings.

I am just trying to give advice. I am an ASE certified Master Tech and am just trying to help. :-)
Yeah I suppose that could be possible... the pads on the rear are Pagid RS56's which are track pads, which I do drive on the street as well since I don't use the car much on the street. May try switching the RHS inner pad to the LHS inner pad and see if the wear follows that. Maybe I can get Pagid to send me a new pair

I have never heard of the pad material being referred to as liner, but that makes sense, just different terminology that what I've used in the past. Pad backing plate and liner what you guys use I'm guessing?

Anyways, appreciate all the input, some good suggestions to check.
Old 4/10/14 | 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Paige is an awesome brand but that one lining could just have too much aggregate in it. I like your idea of swapping the inner pads from the left and right sides. If it begins to wear in the same manner then you have definitely isolated the issue to a brake lining that is too hard. I'll bet if you call them and tell them one of the linings is too hard and wearing the rotor prematurely they send a new set of brake linings.
Old 4/10/14 | 06:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Btw noticed your in Manchester NH? I grew up in windham. Still make it back that way to visit my parents. I do like southern NH...

Thx for the feedback. May switch pads this weekend, see what happens
Old 4/10/14 | 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Btw noticed your in Manchester NH? I grew up in windham. Still make it back that way to visit my parents. I do like southern NH...

Thx for the feedback. May switch pads this weekend, see what happens
Cool. I like southern NH. I grew up in Cherry Hill NJ. My family and I moved up here 6 years ago.