Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I go on this trip with a new mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/12, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I go on this trip with a new mustang?

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2...d27125fd&msa=0

I don't have clear bra on my car, i wonder how are these roads im taking in the states? are they all paved? I don't wanna get chips.
anyone done a trip like this? any recommendations?

Thanks!

O
Old 5/29/12, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy cow, that's quite a trip!

I think the clear bra would be a great investment for anyone. Every time a find a new rock chip I kick myself for not getting one yet.

If you don't get one before your trip just don't follow closely behind anyone and it should minimize the risk.
Old 5/29/12, 05:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by airoscar

I don't have clear bra on my car, i wonder how are these roads im taking in the states? are they all paved? I don't wanna get chips.

Thanks!

O
There is a product called "Road Wrap" that is clear made for putting on the car just for road trips.

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/detail.as...&source=search
Old 5/29/12, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Hell yeah!!! I love road trips and wouldn't think twice about it in my Boss, let alone a V6 Mustang! Just wrap the car with that road wrap and take off!

Last edited by Mustangfreak; 5/29/12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 5/29/12, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Thanks!

O
If you can find the time, and the funds, do it! That's a great sight-seeing trip, for sure. I can't speak for all the roads, but it appears your trip will be on either state or interstate highways/freeways throughout the west. All these are paved. If you make all the listed side trips, you may encounter lesser roads - potentially gravel/dirt (I don't know for sure). Most look like popular spots, with paved roads in and out. Google Earth Street View is your friend here.

I would HIGHLY recommend Clear Bra prior to your trip. You are sure to get some kind of road debris flung into the front of the car. I'd never heard of "Road Wrap." It looks like a good idea, but for lesser trips I would think. It doesn't look like the kind of product that can shield your paint from a rock flung into your fender at 80 mph. Yet it does look like an affordable alternative for shorter trips where mud and bugs are your concern.

Have fun if you go.
Old 5/29/12, 07:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember - they do a lot of road construction/repair in the summer. Fresh tar and gravel. Get the mask!
Old 5/29/12, 07:28 PM
V6 Member

Or you can do it ghetto style and just blue painters tape your bumper. Thats what we used to do back in the day when traveling to out of state car shows

Last edited by hawgs74; 5/29/12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 5/29/12, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks!

O
Can't tell you about the quality of those roads, but if you didn't buy your Mustang for epic road trips like that, why'd you buy it in the first place?
Old 5/29/12, 07:54 PM
GT Member

If you don't want to pay for a clear bra, plastidip works as well.
Old 5/30/12, 12:45 AM

Highway 1 up the California coastline is one the best roads in the US. Ocean views and plenty of windy road the whole way. I've driven from Monterey to San Luis Obispo on Highway 1 in my previous car (95 VW GTI) back in 1996.

Here’s a link to my recommended route from Santa Monica to San Francisco. This route will save you some time and it includes the most scenic sections of Highway 1 and a scenic and faster route through Santa Barbara Country via wine country.

As for road conditions, I can speak for Las Vegas to San Francisco and I would rate them as good to great.

Have a great time, sounds like an incredible trip.

Last edited by Cali_5.0; 5/30/12 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Add link for recommended route.
Old 5/30/12, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put almost 800 miles a week on my 2011 Mustang. I bought it so I could enjoy this daily commute. The Mustang has not let me down.

Sure, I already have a few tiny paint chips on the front from pebbles being thrown from the car ahead of me. On Saturdays when the car gets its bath, I touch them up (chips) and blend in. Would I pass up a trip such as yours in my Mustang? Heck no! I'd take that trip and any other in my Mustang any day. That's why I bought it.

Look at it this way: anyone can buy a car, park it in the garage, drive it on sunny days only, take it to a show on the weekend and brag about how great it looks.

The person that drives the car daily, rain or shine, keeps it clean, and participates perhaps in the same shows is what would impress me. Then again, the heck with those shows. I'll drive by in the Mustang, honk and wave at you with a big grin, enjoying what the car was made for: driving, and enjoying it while doing it.
Old 5/30/12, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

There's a lot of cool stuff on that trip, plus it's set up so you actually get the chance to stop and look at it. Do it!

Clear bra - even if the roads are PERFECT, there is a great deal of debris on most of those roads because the 'dirt' is nothing more than decomposed granite. I've had mine on since I moved back to Colorado and I'd be screwed without it. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time it's a very good investment. It seems like you'll be driving in a group, so keeping adequate following distance will be tough without getting separated. If you've got more than a couple of inches between cars, somebody is going to try to pull in there.
Old 5/30/12, 08:14 AM

I will jump on the clear bra band wagon.
Get one. With or without the road trip You will get rock chips.
1st thing I did to my Stang.
Old 5/30/12, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys!

sounds like i'll have to the mustang instead of a suv onto the trip and clear bra it : )
Old 5/30/12, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't the clear bras yellow over time? I had a friend that had it done on his Jeep Cherokee. He said it got a yellow haze (sounds like an old rock tune; or was that a purple haze?) underneath it after about a year.

Maybe it was a poor installation.
Old 5/30/12, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Hell yeah!!! I love road trips and wouldn't think twice about it in my Boss, let alone a V6 Mustang! Just wrap the car with that road wrap and take off!
I'm with Corey. Do it, do it, do it. You don't want to be sitting on the front porch when your 80, and say "I wish".

Just a suggestion. If you go, when you get down to Williams, AZ from the Canyon, if possible there is a wonderful stretch of Route 66 at the Ashfork exit off I-40 just west of Williams. It runs approx. 65 miles to Seligman, AZ. You will love that drive.

Last edited by wanted33; 5/30/12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 5/30/12, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Don't the clear bras yellow over time?
Mine's been on for almost 4 years, and most people don't notice it unless they're up close and see the seam. I keep my car in a garage but I can readily see how one of these could yellow if left out in the sun in a harsh (read as: god-awfull hot and sunny) climate all the time. That might also depend on the quality of the film, so go with a good name brand.
Old 5/30/12, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
I'm with Corey. Do it, do it, do it. You don't want to be sitting on the front porch when your 80, and say "I wish".

Just a suggestion. If you go, when you get down to Williams, AZ from the Canyon, if possible there is a wonderful stretch of Route 66 at the Ashfork exit off I-40 just west of Williams. It runs approx. 65 miles to Seligman, AZ. You will love that drive.
YUP!, i think that's part of my planned route.

Guys check out this stretch of road on my route, hwy 212 north east side of Yellowstone, what a good looking road! : D

Name:  untitled-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  31.8 KB
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2....2096,0.308647

Last edited by airoscar; 5/30/12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 5/30/12, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Old 5/30/12, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You probably won't have an issue by now, but you better call ahead and make sure the road is clear. I've hunted in Montana and Wyoming and that road is familiar to me. There are stretches that are impassable months at a time. Just be safe and call ahead to make sure it's clear first. Like I said, it shouldn't be an issue by this time of year. Also, it looks like fun on the map but much of it is blinded by surrounding foliage/hills/valleys. Be careful going too fast. Besides that, hitting a deer with your mustang will end your trip really quickly.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 5/30/12 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I go on this trip with a new mustang?