Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/10, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Yes, rail dust is a PITA to get out of the paint. Clay + elbow grease will do it, but it's amazing how much of that you see. I'm glad the cars are so local that they never sit near the rail yard.
If you have a white car you REALLY see the rail dust you don't see in other colors.
Old 4/23/10, 09:13 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedWings
If you have a white car you REALLY see the rail dust you don't see in other colors.
Yeah. Did a detail on a white pearl car that got crapped on heavily with rail dust. Flat surfaces just covered in it. Claying alone took me a few hours for the roof, hood, and spoiler. Everything else was a breeze.
Old 4/23/10, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Little off topic, but what wash mitt do you guys recommend? I'm specifically talking brand, the wash mitts I've seen around here are all a generic brand which doesn't give me much confidence, regardless of what they say it's made out of. My car has some swirls on it now (black car) and I'm gonna have to figure out how to 1. remove them and 2. prevent them in the future.

Finally, has anybody tried using the Mr. Clean Autodry system? The reviews I've read have been sparse, but mostly positive.
Old 4/23/10, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Steven
Little off topic, but what wash mitt do you guys recommend? I'm specifically talking brand, the wash mitts I've seen around here are all a generic brand which doesn't give me much confidence, regardless of what they say it's made out of. My car has some swirls on it now (black car) and I'm gonna have to figure out how to 1. remove them and 2. prevent them in the future.

Finally, has anybody tried using the Mr. Clean Autodry system? The reviews I've read have been sparse, but mostly positive.
I recommend a lambswool mitt. I think Meguirs sells one and you can find a bunch at auto detailer suppliers online. Just fine one with good reviews.

I'd stay away from the Mr. Clean system. It does work OK, but i don't know the quality of soap they use plus the filters are just another added cost to using it.

Stick with a two-bucket system with a good soap like gold class (find it at target and other local stores) and you should be just fine. Also get some microfiber drying towels and don't wash them with other laundry.
Old 4/23/10, 09:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steven

I use a microfiber wash mitt, but wool mitts work well. Keep them off the ground and they'll work even better.

To get rid of swirls, you'll have to try some light cutting compound and a DA or rotary polisher. It shouldn't take much, depending on the intensity of the swirls. To prevent, using proper wash methods, soap, and care will minimize and prevent some of the swirls from returning.

Mr. Clean system is a joke. Not a fan of it at all.
Old 4/23/10, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
You won't believe the amount of rust on the paint on a brand new car. Rail dust too. Clay it day 1.
^^^ EXACTLY!!!! I had my 2010 washed, clayed, polished and waxed (3) days after I got it. Amazing difference in the depth of the shine.
Old 4/23/10, 02:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes.
Old 4/23/10, 02:55 PM
GT Member

What about the Teflon coatings the dealer sells? They put that on right away.

Hopefully it gets a good detailing beforehand.
Old 4/23/10, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Teflon has to be applied at 700 degrees to have any sort of chemical bonding effect. From what I've read the dealer sealants are a complete rip off and they wear off in a month or two.
Old 4/23/10, 03:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Use a good consumer wash/wax product like Megs or Mothers and you'll be fine.
Old 4/23/10, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

On the chevy side everyone swear by the zaino products, how come nobody uses these products over here on this side?
Old 4/23/10, 03:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
On the chevy side everyone swear by the zaino products, how come nobody uses these products over here on this side?

Zaino has a cult following here as well. Personally, I can't be bothered w/12 hours of wax appplication.
Old 4/23/10, 03:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think there might be a couple over here that use zaino. I've heard of it before.
Old 4/23/10, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Zaino has a cult following here as well. Personally, I can't be bothered w/12 hours of wax appplication.
It's painful but worth it IMO, plus have you seen this new CS they have no longer than an hour for the whole car garunteed, don't even have to rinse it off !!!

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-CS
Old 4/23/10, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Right now I'm leaning to ONR and Klasse twins.
Old 4/23/10, 03:57 PM
Cobra R Member

It's painful but worth it IMO, plus have you seen this new CS they have no longer than an hour for the whole car garunteed, don't even have to rinse it off !!

I'll keep that in mind, But a short story...

I drove into work with a freshly waxed GT and a female coworker was very impressed w/my shiny red 'stang. Because of that, I got really lucky (if you know what I mean). All I had to do was to show her how to wash/wax her LS400. Mothers was the product that day.
Old 4/23/10, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
I'll keep that in mind, But a short story...

I drove into work with a freshly waxed GT and a female coworker was very impressed w/my shiny red 'stang. Because of that, I got really lucky (if you know what I mean). All I had to do was to show her how to wash/wax her LS400. Mothers was the product that day.
Man if i was you i would never stray from mother's products either
Old 4/23/10, 05:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Man if i was you i would never stray from mother's products either

It's amazing what a clean car can do

Actually her paint was in pretty bad shape (holograms etc.). I was able to use the clay and cleaner wax to get a decent shine back. Btw, I hate Toyota, but that car had excellent fit and finish.

Last edited by WaltM; 4/23/10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 4/23/10, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

As much as I'd like to impress people with my new car, I much enjoy taking the metro to work every day. It's virtually free and it's hella faster than driving through the traffic swamp of md/nova/dc.
Old 4/23/10, 05:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
I much enjoy taking the metro to work every day. It's virtually free and it's hella faster than driving through the traffic swamp of md/nova/dc.
Are you in europe?

Quick Reply: Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?