Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

should I do it? trade my 12 on a 14???

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/13, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Wait and see how bad or good 2015 looks and then make a decision.

I agree with this completely. 2015 could be a real game changer, i would and will wait to see what the changes will be. At that point I will choose to keep what I have, go 2015, or find a low miles 2013 gt500

Last edited by eric n; 4/7/13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 4/7/13, 08:11 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n

I agree with this completely. 2015 could be a real game changer, i would and will wait to see what the changes will be. At that point I will choose to keep what I have, go 2015, or find a low miles 2013 gt500
Game changer in a good or bad way
Old 4/7/13, 08:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Game changer in a good or bad way
Absolutely could go either way. Ergo wait and see... that's just my thought, to each his own. That said, cars today are amazing. Current mustang s are a world better than previous incarnations, a step backwards would surprise me.
Old 4/7/13, 08:34 AM
I Have No Life

Absolutely could go either way. Ergo wait and see... that's just my thought, to each his own. That said, cars today are amazing. Current mustang s are a world better than previous incarnations, a step backwards would surprise me.
I think the only way it would step backwards, is if it loses its retro look, and gains a generic "new" car look, if you know what I mean.

Of course the other fear is the loss of a V8.
Old 4/7/13, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I think the only way it would step backwards, is if it loses its retro look, and gains a generic "new" car look, if you know what I mean.

Of course the other fear is the loss of a V8.
I totally get what you are saying. I'm trying to be open. A Porsche turbo has a great 6er. The eco boost trucks are pretty awesome. But sure I want a snarling v 8. A car which keeps some mustang cues but is more modern could be done right... again I think we are mostly on the same page, but perhaps I'm a bit more optimistic.
Old 4/7/13, 12:18 PM
GTR Member

I'm currently considering selling my 2011, and transferring parts over to a 2014. I've looked at the numbers and for a variety of reasons, I'm not interested in the 2015 car at this time. I'm considering picking up a DIB, Track Pack, Recaro, nav, backup sensing and security package car to replace my Kona 2011.
Old 4/7/13, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it would be a $$ thing and I would keep it. You have a great car now and like someone else said they are always changing a little bit every year - what year will be "good enough" for you to keep long-term?
That said, I had my choice of a '12 or a '13 and I HAD TO HAVE Recaros and the Track Pack...so I got the '13!
Old 4/7/13, 03:33 PM
I Have No Life

I totally get what you are saying. I'm trying to be open. A Porsche turbo has a great 6er. The eco boost trucks are pretty awesome. But sure I want a snarling v 8. A car which keeps some mustang cues but is more modern could be done right... again I think we are mostly on the same page, but perhaps I'm a bit more optimistic.
Yep I agree with you. I hope ford is reading this and mindful of our concerns
Old 4/8/13, 04:06 AM
Cobra Member

This thread and others like it kill me with the "you are losing money" mantra... You do realize that when you buy *any* new car and start making payments that the value of the vehicle declines over time? Same thing goes if you paid cash, but you aren't paying interest. It's called depreciation.

The idea that you are 'losing money' because in this case the OP is considering making payments for 2 more years (assuming the same term & interest rate) is incorrect. Those extra payments are on a brand new vehicle, totally separate from the old one. The part everyone forgets is that people end up losing money on the trade by getting starry eyed over the new car and not getting enough for their old one.

Considering the actual money financed for the '12 and what is on the table for the '14 it sounds like the OP is getting a decent deal on the trade in value. A little quick math will give you the cost per month, and the original figures quoted sound reasonable.

So let's quit this false losing money idea unless you are bending over on your trade in, in which case you have only yourself to blame. All that said, go for the '14 and get some Recaros while you are at it! I would even get the glass roof, as it's such a cool option, love it in my wife's '11 GT.
Old 4/8/13, 06:01 AM
GT Member

No don't trade your car in for a car only two years newer. You don't need to do that at all there are only a few differences between the two. Your money is better spent else where like on things you need.
Old 4/8/13, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Guys, I really appreciate all of your input. It gave me a few more things to consider. I know for a fact that I won't get a 15' no matter how sexy it may be. There's always some nonsense bugs that have to be worked out with new models. A 16' or 17' may be in store though depending whether or not it's a nice revamp. That will be the case even if I get the 14' or keep my 12'.

I do like the shift a matic on the 13/14's (I know it's not like a Ferrari shifter for racing but I like it for traffic purposes).

I love the body updates front and rear and painted side skirts for the 13/14's.

I hate the fact that I don't have hid's on my 12' and they're now standard. Nighttime vision has always been a complaint that I've had with the standard halogen headlights on the 11/12's. Vision really is poor in comparison to other cars that I've driven at night.

Other than that, I still love my car and look for excuses to drive it every day.

I've got some decision making to do.
Old 4/8/13, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
This thread and others like it kill me with the "you are losing money" mantra... You do realize that when you buy *any* new car and start making payments that the value of the vehicle declines over time? Same thing goes if you paid cash, but you aren't paying interest. It's called depreciation.
Right, and by ditching his 2-year old car, and buying a new one, he's going to pay for the depreciation on 2 new cars instead of just one. The depreciation (total $$ value) on one car owned for 4 years is a lot less than 2 cars owned for 2 years each. That's why he's going to lose money; depreciation isn't linear. The first two years of ownership are the biggest hit.

Add to that the fact that he's replacing his 2 year old car with another that's basically exactly the same with minor cosmetic differences, and it makes even less sense to take the financial hit.

But as has already been said - it's new car fever, and "logic" and "financial sense" rarely come into play once that's set in.
Old 4/8/13, 10:21 AM
GTR Member

It's a matter of perspective. On one hand, you can look at it from the point of trying to pay things off and eliminate a payment. On the other hand, you can look at it as keeping your monthly expense (payment) the same or close to each other. If you can afford the older vehicle, then you can afford the new one, provided your income doesn't go away. Like others have said, any vehicle you own is going to depreciate, so that argument is moot. You could downsize to a Fiesta and people would say you're losing money.

To the OP, you're in a good position having the car paid off. It's your money, do what you want.
Old 4/8/13, 11:36 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 13/14 is a more complete package with styling and performance but I would still wait for the 15..
Old 4/8/13, 04:28 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by SennaF1
Right, and by ditching his 2-year old car, and buying a new one, he's going to pay for the depreciation on 2 new cars instead of just one. The depreciation (total $$ value) on one car owned for 4 years is a lot less than 2 cars owned for 2 years each. That's why he's going to lose money; depreciation isn't linear. The first two years of ownership are the biggest hit.

Add to that the fact that he's replacing his 2 year old car with another that's basically exactly the same with minor cosmetic differences, and it makes even less sense to take the financial hit.

But as has already been said - it's new car fever, and "logic" and "financial sense" rarely come into play once that's set in.
Thank you. This is the point I was trying to bring up.
Old 4/8/13, 05:03 PM
Banned

Honestly, get the new car. I had absolutely zero interest in owning a new Ford Mustang till the 2013 update. If you want it and like it, you can't put a price on that.

I'm glad I made the decision, and I'm glad I didn't end up in a Camaro SS either.
Old 4/8/13, 05:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Honestly, get the new car. I had absolutely zero interest in owning a new Ford Mustang till the 2013 update. If you want it and like it, you can't put a price on that.

I'm glad I made the decision, and I'm glad I didn't end up in a Camaro SS either.
Exactly. That's exactly how I feel. The joy it will bring you to be completely satisfied in every way is worth it. And from what your saying how you could even come out in better shape financially .. New car
Old 4/8/13, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

As for the losing money aspect, buying vehicles has never been an investment for me. Vehicles are my hobby and livelihood. I don't party , drink, smoke etc. This is my habit and my vice. I minimize my losses when I buy cars and enjoy them to the fullest. If you want to talk about a loss though, I built my 10 Second 93 nothcback a few years ago and had $18k-19kin it. I sold it for $7,500! Unless you're a dealer, you gotta take your lumps if cars are your hobby. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 4/8/13, 05:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
As for the losing money aspect, buying vehicles has never been an investment for me. Vehicles are my hobby and livelihood. I don't party , drink, smoke etc. This is my habit and my vice. I minimize my losses when I buy cars and enjoy them to the fullest. If you want to talk about a loss though, I built my 10 Second 93 nothcback a few years ago and had $18k-19kin it. I sold it for $7,500! Unless you're a dealer, you gotta take your lumps if cars are your hobby. Thanks for all the advice.
You a very right and I'm the same way. So your going to get the 14?
Old 4/8/13, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

No matter how you slice it, people will insist on linking both vehicles no matter what. The depreciation on the '12 has been amortized every month since it was driven off the lot. Once the trade in value has been agreed upon, and then say traded in on May 1st, that asset is now gone and you start the depreciation clock on the '14. Maybe this is considered splitting hairs, but this concept shouldn't be that hard to grasp. I'm not a CPA, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Quick Reply: should I do it? trade my 12 on a 14???