Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should Ford bring back the SVO ???

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/10, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just thinking this afternoon how cool would it be for Ford to bring back the SVO. Maybe not as a full blown production model but as a SE or limited run edition. It could be done easily using parts they already have in production on other vehicles. They could use the Ecoboost V6 that's currently in the SHO and limit it to 350hp/350 lbs torque so as not to have more power than the current GT. Use the current Brembo brake set up from the GT and refine it a bit. Develop a similar suspension set up like the Boss or better yet, an IRS. The car would be lighter, better balanced than the current GT and I bet really give a BMW M3 a run for it's money.

Again just dreaming but it would be cool.
Old 10/10/10, 04:42 PM

yes it would be cool
Old 10/10/10, 04:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of Ford's special edition emphasis is on the Boss, then after that it will be the 50th anniversary edition.

Doubt you'll see anything like the SVO, Ford lost money on every one of those they made.
Old 10/10/10, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

IMO, they should, but only if they drop the Shelby... There only needs to be one factory super stang...
Old 10/10/10, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
All of Ford's special edition emphasis is on the Boss, then after that it will be the 50th anniversary edition.

Doubt you'll see anything like the SVO, Ford lost money on every one of those they made.

Yeah I figured it would be a stretch. Would be nice to see some thing like this later down the road though.
Old 10/10/10, 05:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
Was just thinking this afternoon how cool would it be for Ford to bring back the SVO. Maybe not as a full blown production model but as a SE or limited run edition. It could be done easily using parts they already have in production on other vehicles. They could use the Ecoboost V6 that's currently in the SHO and limit it to 350hp/350 lbs torque so as not to have more power than the current GT. Use the current Brembo brake set up from the GT and refine it a bit. Develop a similar suspension set up like the Boss or better yet, an IRS. The car would be lighter, better balanced than the current GT and I bet really give a BMW M3 a run for it's money.

Again just dreaming but it would be cool.
What's the point? The car you describe doesn't sound too much different than the V6 with PP.
Old 10/10/10, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
What's the point? The car you describe doesn't sound too much different than the V6 with PP.
I agree with this, there isn't any room in the lineup. Buy a V6 and put your own turbo on it.
Old 10/10/10, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer

Well as some one pointed out it's probably not going to happen with this current version of the Mustang as it doesn't fit in the line up. However Ford has said they will expand the Ecoboost engines through their entire vehicle line. I was just thinking that this would be a good way to introduce it to the Mustang. A twin turbo V6 with an IRS rear suspension is hugely different than the current V6 with the PP.
Old 10/10/10, 06:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by harristotle
Buy a V6 and put your own turbo on it.

No, no, not turbo, TURBO'S!!!
Old 10/10/10, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, Ford has said that they want to bring the ecoboost across the lineup.

I would guess that they would replace the V6 with an ecoboost 4. About the same power, and then there is still plenty of room for the V8.
Old 10/10/10, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
Yes, Ford has said that they want to bring the ecoboost across the lineup.

I would guess that they would replace the V6 with an ecoboost 4. About the same power, and then there is still plenty of room for the V8.

Hmm, not sure I'd want a four in the Mustang, Ecoboost or not. Just my two cents, I think the Ecoboost V6 is a better fit. Not sure how many people would go for a 4 cyl turbo Mustang.
Old 10/10/10, 06:32 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by StangFreak
No way! The Mustang II would be more nostalgic.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 10/10/10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
No way! Mustang II would be more nostalgic.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

While they are at it, they could bring back the Pinto.

Old 10/10/10, 06:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

doubt the Ecoboost 6 with all the turbo plumbing and such weighs less than the 5.0. So I doubt the car would weight less
Old 10/10/10, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Probably not, but if they would do something like an ecoboost 4 cylinder making around 250 hp, getting 36-38 mpg highway and weighing 3300 lbs or so, it would certainly be interesting, but I doubt I would buy one, all four of my Mustangs have been V8's.

Last edited by Ministang; 10/10/10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
doubt the Ecoboost 6 with all the turbo plumbing and such weighs less than the 5.0. So I doubt the car would weight less

You are correct sir, I stand corrected. I looked it up and the Ecoboost V6 weighs in at 449 lbs not including the intercooler and plumbing. The new 5.0L weighs in at @ 430 lbs. So it would seem that an Ecoboost powered Mustang would weigh more than the current 5.0L Mustang.

Guess this is why I work at a bank and not building cars.

Last edited by StangFreak; 10/10/10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 07:08 PM
GTR Member

I don't think Ford would go back to a four cylinder Mustang, even ecoboost, unless they placed it as pure entry level with a V6 mid level and then V8 high end with correspondingly higher HP for each. But that would be a ways down the road, Ford has way too much invested in the current Mustang engines. I look for them to ride them for quite a while with incremental updates just to keep up with or slightly ahead of the rest of the players.

Ford can't make money off these cars if they are constantly changing engines, too much developement cost to keep doing something like that.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/10/10 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I don't think Ford would go back to a four cylinder Mustang, even ecoboost, unless they placed it as pure entry level with a V6 mid level and then V8 high end with correspondingly higher HP for each. But that would be a ways down the road, Ford has way too much invested in the current Mustang engines. I look for them to ride them for quite a while with incremental updates just to keep up with or slightly ahead of the rest of the players.

Ford can't make money off these cars if they are constantly changing engines, too much developement cost to keep doing something like that.

Now an Ecoboost 5.0L would be very nice
Old 10/10/10, 07:47 PM
GT Member

the owners lost money too , I owned one of those pos many years ago. Nice handling car and somewhat rare however it never ran right. I wished at the time woulda bought the 5.0 instead.. never kept it very long.
Old 10/11/10, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

I could see Ford offering an SVO like option in the 2014+ Mustang with an Eco-Boost V6, strictly to gauge the public's response to an alternate to the V8, and then offering the V8 as an option. I enjoy my V8 as much as the rest, but face it, the V8 in the Mustang is facing extinction, Ford is just riding the V8 Pony car for as long as the market support's it, but I throughly believe that as soon as the EPA fuel economy restrictions get tighter, and support for the V8 wanes, they will quickly pull-the-trigger and drop in the Eco-Boost V6.

The current Mustang engine line-up doesn't apply to the rest of the cars in Ford's stable, it line's up more with the Truck engine line-up. The problem is that the Mustang doesn't get the lighter EPA restrictions that most of the trucks do. Even though Ford is saying they are going to expand the Eco-Boost engine line-up as options on all cars, I don't see them taking the base-V6 and replacing it with a Eco-Boost V6.

What I think the 2014+ Mustang will focus on is weight reduction and improved aerodynamics, the EPA fuel requirements will force this to happen. Luckily for Ford, the Mustang is not a 200k+ seller, otherwise they would be hurting on meeting the EPA CAFE requirement.

Quick Reply: Should Ford bring back the SVO ???