Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Shipping my GT to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/13, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 1409
Corey, when do you plan on having the Boss over here again?
Not sure, I fly out for GE on March 19th. Debating if I should ship early and not wait long when I get there and in the mean time my wife and I would drive her 04 GT. Or drive the Boss the whole time, ship at the last week and be carless for a month or so lol.
Old 1/8/13, 03:09 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak

Not sure, I fly out for GE on March 19th. Debating if I should ship early and not wait long when I get there and in the mean time my wife and I would drive her 04 GT. Or drive the Boss the whole time, ship at the last week and be carless for a month or so lol.
Always nice to have a car soon after you PCS. The weather should be getting better around that time too.
Old 1/9/13, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Had my car here in Germany for 3 years now, and still get a lots of looks and finger-pointing... I did get away with my front side window tint for now, but you should get some winter tires if you are planning on driving in the snow.

Make sure to take pics when she arrived safe and sound!
Old 1/10/13, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well I finally made it to Germany! My car won't be here till the middle of next month. I'm going to have tires shipped here before it gets here so I can drive as soon as I can pick her up.

I would ship early so that you have a car when you get here. I'm going to be without one for over a month but lucky for me I have friends here that I can get ride from.
Old 1/10/13, 10:54 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats

It's gonna be a tough month, but well worth it when you get it on the 'ring
Old 1/11/13, 04:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not too many 5.0's here or brand new TP or BOSS cars. I have seen two different Terminators and no GT-500's so far. Ensure you have A/S tires for your car if you get here before Easter or they won't let you off the shipping yard. I'm going to get some before she gets here and that way I just have to take her to the shop when she gets here to have them put on right away. I don't want to deal with the possibility of getting that 2000 Euro ticket and 6 of the 12 points needed to lose our license here. Oh and if you are involved in any kind of traffic incident and you don't have the correct equipment the Polizei will jam it down your throat. The Autobahn is nuts. Just remember the /// gray lines over the speed limit signs indicate the unrestricted sections. Keep us posted brother and I will do the same.
Old 1/11/13, 08:16 PM

I was in Leverkusen (near Cologne) not too long ago and saw a GT-500 there. I was very envious of that guy being so close to the Autobahn. I’ve had a couple of nice rentals to try there but nothing that would compare to my GT. Enjoy yourself when the car gets there.
Old 1/12/13, 04:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks I will. I have seen a couple more 5.0's today and I miss that sound so much already. It's going to be a nice day when she finally gets back on the road with me in the driver's seat. I'm going to be checking for signs of burnouts and Tom Foolery when I pick up my car. I know I would be temped.
Old 1/12/13, 04:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think I'm going to have to invest in some WeatherTech all weather floor liners because this weather is rediculous and definately not the **** car owners cup of tea. I might lose my mind with how dirty everything gets. Good thing I prepped her right and there is plenty of paint protection on her already to last the year.
Old 1/12/13, 10:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Not too many 5.0's here or brand new TP or BOSS cars. I have seen two different Terminators and no GT-500's so far. Ensure you have A/S tires for your car if you get here before Easter or they won't let you off the shipping yard. I'm going to get some before she gets here and that way I just have to take her to the shop when she gets here to have them put on right away. I don't want to deal with the possibility of getting that 2000 Euro ticket and 6 of the 12 points needed to lose our license here. Oh and if you are involved in any kind of traffic incident and you don't have the correct equipment the Polizei will jam it down your throat. The Autobahn is nuts. Just remember the /// gray lines over the speed limit signs indicate the unrestricted sections. Keep us posted brother and I will do the same.
I do not recommend A/S tires. Go with a pure winter tire, and put your summers on in the spring with your favorite rims. I use Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 XL and the stock rims for the winter and I'm very happy with them. I drive in snow, icey, and slush with no problems. [knock on wood].
Old 1/15/13, 04:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wish I could afford to get a whole other set of rims for the winter but I can't find any that won't break the bank and still clear the Brembos. Any ideas? I was going to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus because from what I have read that will get me the most bang for the buck and I will get more use out of them since I am staying on base and can walk to pretty much everything anyway. If it gets real bad out I will just stay in my room or resort to Burt and Ernie for travel. Thoughts?
Old 1/15/13, 05:28 AM
INKY

I wish I could afford to get a whole other set of rims for the winter but I can't find any that won't break the bank and still clear the Brembos. Any ideas? I was going to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus because from what I have read that will get me the most bang for the buck and I will get more use out of them since I am staying on base and can walk to pretty much everything anyway. If it gets real bad out I will just stay in my room or resort to Burt and Ernie for travel. Thoughts?
Have you looked on Tire Rack? Might not be the best, but they are just winter wheels. My big concern would be the salt, big reason mine sits in the garage for the winter.

Another nice thing is Tire Rack will mount and balance prior to shipping. I'm the winter it can be a pain to get that done around here, plus it saves time and money.

Last edited by Boss 1409; 1/15/13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 1/16/13, 09:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have priced the A/S and the winter set and the difference is the wheels sensors and the sync device for the sensors. I can install the tires myself at the craftshop and they even have a Roadforce ballance machine. The other difference is the speed I am limited to with the winter tires. I'm only really going to be spending one winter here so I would be losing money if I were to sell them prior to me going back to the States where its close to 80 degrees right now.
Old 1/16/13, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Does anyone know where I can get a hidden front plate mounting bracket so I don't have to block the airflow to my oil cooler by mounting the plate on the lower grill or screwing the plate holder into my new stripes?
Old 1/16/13, 10:02 AM
INKY

I have priced the A/S and the winter set and the difference is the wheels sensors and the sync device for the sensors. I can install the tires myself at the craftshop and they even have a Roadforce ballance machine. The other difference is the speed I am limited to with the winter tires. I'm only really going to be spending one winter here so I would be losing money if I were to sell them prior to me going back to the States where its close to 80 degrees right now.
Not sure how much now they get where you are at or what kind or roads you are having to drive on. If you get a bit of snow/ice it could be a pain. Most winters here near Ramstein aren't too bad, but there have been a couple recent winters with a good amount of snow. My house has a steep driveway that can be a pain with A/S tires, plus the road I live on doesn't get plowed or salted.
Does anyone know where I can get a hidden front plate mounting bracket so I don't have to block the airflow to my oil cooler by mounting the plate on the lower grill or screwing the plate holder into my new stripes?
Don't know of anywhere local, think they have one on American Muscle though.
Old 1/16/13, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think I might have to just buy the Blizzaks because I'm sure down here in the mountains we get more snow than over where you are at. Its just going to be a pain to take them off and re-install the summer tires when it gets nice out and then I'm not 100% sure it wont randomly be scrappy and snowing in the middle of June. Its snowing now. I saw a Kona Brembo guy yesterday but didn't flag him down fast enough to pick his brain a little. Hopefully I will run into him again.
Old 1/16/13, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

There are about 10 guys driving M3's around here so km gonna maybe ask one of them what they do.
Old 1/16/13, 11:51 AM
INKY

You would be surprised how much of a difference winter tire will make. Of course you could always take the money you would spend on tires and buy a beater for the winter
Old 1/16/13, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I thought about that too but km still not sold on that idea. A Golf maybe.
Old 1/16/13, 01:18 PM
INKY

My be easier to sell the beater and break even IMO. I have a 98 BMW wagon I bought hen I got here, probably gonna sell it when the weather gets better since I'm leaving in the summer.

Quick Reply: Shipping my GT to Europe