Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Security Package ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/10, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Security Package ?

Is the security package worth the ~$400? I could care less about locking wheel lug nuts. Just what is the active anti-theft system? My car will be parked in a garage at night and only sparingly parked in a store parking lot.
Old 1/26/10, 08:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RMS70
Is the security package worth the ~$400? I could care less about locking wheel lug nuts. Just what is the active anti-theft system? My car will be parked in a garage at night and only sparingly parked in a store parking lot.
Hey bud, its a VERY NICE feature to have. Its necessary if you want the HID headlights. The alarm system has an inclination sensor in the car. If someone lifts the car up too high off a flat plane, the alarm will go off. Its nice for the money. I have it on my car and I know its better than an aftermarket system that you would have to wire into the car. This is all tied into the car from the factory. Plus, most dealers order this option on the cars for stock.

Another reason is it may reduce your insurance cost. Its another reason why I added it to my car. My insurance carrier gave me a nice discount because it has the system on it. Just food for thought.
Old 1/26/10, 08:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

$400 for this is probably worth it. I think it has a sensor that sends sound waves out in case you parked and left the window down, or have a vert. That's the active part.

It will probably pay for itself after a few years. And it doesn't seem to go off by accident like a lot of after market systems do.

Originally Posted by RMS70
Old 1/26/10, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so if i get a convertible and have the top down the alarm has sensors that make the car go off when someone sticks hand inside the car?

Chris
Old 1/26/10, 08:52 AM
GTR Member

It's definitely a nice feature, and as Jeff said, can pay for itself through insurance discounts for an active alarm system. It provides an extra level of protection to the car that you wouldn't get with the base immobilizer or an aftermarket unit without spending a lot of money (most likely more than $400). Add that in with no cutting/splicing of wires, and it's a sensible option. I wish it carried a bit more (or at least tell us the added stuff) in the package, but it's not a huge dealbreaker for me.
Old 1/26/10, 09:14 AM

There are multiple sensors with the active system. The first which was already pointed out was for changing the incline of the car like someone trying to tow it. Then there are sensors on the doors, trunk, and I believe the hood. Then there is the motion sensor for inside the car. I did read that if you have the conv and it is in the down position the motion sensor won't activate. They said it would go off to easily.
Old 1/26/10, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

I thought about it when considering the options I will want to get. A locking wheel nut kit can be bought from American muscle for less than $10. I called my insurance agent to talk about the alarm. She's worked at the agency for 14 years and only remember 3 claims for a stolen car. In two of the cases the owner left the keys in the ignition. The amount of savings in insurance would be pretty small in my case.

I've seen cars that have been broken into (window smashed) in the parking lot of a popular restaurant and parked along the well traveled road in a state park, both in broad daylight. A guy I used to work with had a pickup with an alarm. One night it went off so he went out to the truck, no one was there, so he reset it. Ten minutes later it went off again, he went out to the truck and the window was smashed in and his stereo was gone. People who break into cars to steal stuff are so brazen and there and gone so fast, I doubt they give a hoot whether an alarm is going off in their ear for 30 seconds.

If I believed that an alarm was effective at stopping thieves I'd happily spend the $400. But I'm just not convinced. Maybe in other parts of the country thieves are more timid and an alarm is effective at scaring them off before they do any damage.
Old 1/26/10, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I thought about it when considering the options I will want to get. A locking wheel nut kit can be bought from American muscle for less than $10. I called my insurance agent to talk about the alarm. She's worked at the agency for 14 years and only remember 3 claims for a stolen car. In two of the cases the owner left the keys in the ignition. The amount of savings in insurance would be pretty small in my case.
Agency CSR people aren't actuaries... and it's not the agency that gives you the discount, it's the insurance company. Unless it's a direct writer (Allstate, State Farm, et cetera), ask the CSR you talked to at the agency to ask the insurance company what discounts they give. She may be surprised.

That said, it may not be too much... but still... why should you pay an extra $20-$50 a year for the agency lady's laziness?

As for the active security system... you'll learn real quickly not to lock your car with the windows down. A slight breeze will set off the alarm... as well as a squirrel or a bird 5 feet away.
Old 1/26/10, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have it on my GT/CS. I know it works well because last summer,I tested it to see just how effective it was. I highly recommend anyone to include it in their list of options! Your peace of mind is worth a lot more than 400 bucks!
Old 1/26/10, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Agency CSR people aren't actuaries... and it's not the agency that gives you the discount, it's the insurance company. Unless it's a direct writer (Allstate, State Farm, et cetera), ask the CSR you talked to at the agency to ask the insurance company what discounts they give. She may be surprised.

That said, it may not be too much... but still... why should you pay an extra $20-$50 a year for the agency lady's laziness?

As for the active security system... you'll learn real quickly not to lock your car with the windows down. A slight breeze will set off the alarm... as well as a squirrel or a bird 5 feet away.
She wasn't too lazy, she looked it up. It was something like $30-35 a year. Why would I pay $400 for an option just to save $30-35 a year?
Old 1/26/10, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

She wasn't too lazy, she looked it up. It was something like $30-35 a year. Why would I pay $400 for an option just to save $30-35 a year?
Peace of mind and possible retention of a better re-sale value!
Old 1/26/10, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, didn't read it right the first time.

I don't think many people buy the security package just to save money on their insurance bill. I didn't have the choice anyway, I had to get the security option if I wanted heated seats. So I was buying the option regardless, why not get the discount on the insurance? Seemed simple enough.
Old 1/26/10, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

i didn't get the security package on mine, ordered the car and didnt want to spend the money, a pro wont be deterred by it and a joy rider wont be able to bypass the electronic key so i figured i was all set.
Old 1/26/10, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline

I believe there are certain ways to lock your car to keep the motion sensor from being active...could help ya
Old 1/27/10, 06:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Worth it on my Progressive direct policy, $100 off a year in PA...
Works well for me even when windows are down... If it's windy enough for leaves & debris to blow, it's probably not a good idea to have the windows/top down.

On a side note,
does anyone's windows go all the way down when holding the unlock button on the key fob?

I have an 05 gt premium w/ active anti-theft and my windows will go all the way down when I press and hold the unlock button on the key fob (cool feature to have in the summer) and they go all the way up when I insert the the key in the door and turn to the lock position and hold... I remeber hearing complaints about others having trouble with this feature and Ford not activating or including this in newer models... Has this been revised on 2010+ w/ active anti-theft?
Old 1/27/10, 06:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Kahdir
Worth it on my Progressive direct policy, $100 off a year in PA...
Works well for me even when windows are down... If it's windy enough for leaves & debris to blow, it's probably not a good idea to have the windows/top down.

On a side note, does anyone's windows go all the way down when holding the unlock button on the key fob?

I have an 05 gt premium w/ active anti-theft and my windows will go all the way down when I press and hold the unlock button on the key fob (cool feature to have in the summer) and they go all the way up when I insert the the key in the door and turn to the lock position and hold... I remeber hearing complaints about others having trouble with this feature and Ford not activating or including this in newer models... Has this been revised on 2010+ w/ active anti-theft?
Hey Kahdir, Ford dropped this option mid-way through 2005 and never added it back. The reason being, some windows were dropping without actually pushing the button on the fob. Ford won't add this again, due to that very issue. It was a nice feature and you got a car that had it, as not many 2005s did.
Old 1/27/10, 07:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Falchion
... And it doesn't seem to go off by accident like a lot of after market systems do.
I had it on my '06 for over three years and never had one false alarm that I know of. I recommend it highly and made a point to get it on my '10.
Old 1/27/10, 08:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Kahdir, Ford dropped this option mid-way through 2005 and never added it back. The reason being, some windows were dropping without actually pushing the button on the fob. Ford won't add this again, due to that very issue. It was a nice feature and you got a car that had it, as not many 2005s did.
DOH!
I'm gonna miss that feature on the 2011
If only
(factory) autostart could work on a manual I would be able to have the A/C run before getting in the car...
Oh well
Old 1/27/10, 08:07 AM
GTR Member

Global windows (what we're talking about) is one of those features that you think you'd never use, but once you have it, you find out how useful it is. In the summer, I use mine all the time walking to the car to let out the inside air and cool it off. On a hot summer day, you can see the heat as it pours out of the windows. I know on my car, you have to double tap the unlock button, then hold it for 3 seconds before they drop.
Old 4/10/10, 08:26 PM
V6 Member

So, do the locking nuts come already installed, or do you get the 4 lug nuts and a key separate? Am I going to have to get 4 new lug nuts if I choose not to use the locking ones?

Tony

Quick Reply: Security Package ?