Sponsored By:

Satellite antenna cover painted

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/10, 05:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite antenna cover painted

http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang-Sa...51-painted.htm

For those of you who do not like the black dot in the middle of your trunk. I'm lucky, one advantage of the OTT stripe is that is hides the antenna well.
Old 12/6/10, 06:40 AM
GT Member

They don't seem to list sterling grey unfortunately...only Tungsten grey.
Old 12/6/10, 07:13 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't care for the looks of them, makes the "bump" even bigger.

And I wonder if the metallic colors they list actually have any metallic in them to make a good match. I would think if they did that it might interfere with the signal.
Old 12/6/10, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I agree.

I've had a few cars with XM/Sirius that came stock and the Mustang's satellite radio antenna is the smallest and best looking so far. Be thankful we don't have some giant shark fin.
Old 12/6/10, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory antenna does not look good but I can't say this is an improvement. Regarding the "metal flake", I think it's actually glass in the paint, not actual metal.
Old 12/6/10, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

ill be having the bump removed and the holes filled and painted. doing it the right way
Old 12/6/10, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 It seems like it would draw more attention to it.
Old 12/6/10, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I planned on turning mine into a little battleship. I was going to paint it haze gray with modeling paint, and paint little 16" guns and make a little superstructure out of toothpicks or something and glue that on. I mean, if it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb, it might as well give you a chuckle, right?
Old 12/6/10, 09:54 AM
GTR Member

It would look better if it was the same design as the plastic piece. Sharkfin style antennas look good for rooflines, not on trunks IMO.
Old 12/6/10, 10:12 AM
GTR Member

My dad recently had a sirius reciever added to his Ranger and the antenna they used was about the size of a fifty cent piece and about 1/4 inch thick so I don't know why the stock Mustang one needs to be so large. Has to be some smaller one like that, that could be used to replace that huge lump.
Old 12/6/10, 10:28 AM
GTR Member

My dad recently had a sirius reciever added to his Ranger and the antenna they used was about the size of a fifty cent piece and about 1/4 inch thick so I don't know why the stock Mustang one needs to be so large. Has to be some smaller one like that, that could be used to replace that huge lump.
The aftermarket ones are a lot smaller than the OEM ones. The one on my Mazda was smaller than the Mustang unit though.
Old 12/6/10, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
ill be having the bump removed and the holes filled and painted. doing it the right way
For those of us that really like SAT radio, that wouldn't be the "right way." It's not that big of a deal to me because I have a black car, but I'd like to just have a painted shell that mimics the current shape...that way, it would be the smallest possible cover.

The factory NAV probably does not accept an aftermarket antenna, and outside mount is the best spot for reception, unfortunately.
Old 12/6/10, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

ya but i dont even use it even though its free right now. I sure as hell wont pay for it when i have an ipod
Old 12/6/10, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Don't get me wrong, we had the antenna shaved on our last coupe when the CDC ducktail was installed. Looked great, much better than the trunk turtle

I have an iPhone and an iPod, but I find that I get to hear a nice mix of music I haven't heard yet on XM and Sirius. THEN I download it on iTunes
Old 12/6/10, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
For those of you who do not like the black dot in the middle of your trunk. I'm lucky, one advantage of the OTT stripe is that is hides the antenna well.
It does not help if you have the White OTT Stripe though, although the guy redoing my trunk is going to see if he can mold his white vinyl over it
Old 12/6/10, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
It does not help if you have the White OTT Stripe though, although the guy redoing my trunk is going to see if he can mold his white vinyl over it
I did not think of that good point. I would like to see what it looks like if he can do it. I wonder if he can paint it white to match the stripe?
Old 12/6/10, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
I did not think of that good point. I would like to see what it looks like if he can do it. I wonder if he can paint it white to match the stripe?
The white vinyl because it is not as shiny would be hard to match according to my brother the body man, if he can't do it with the Vinyl it will probably just stay black, since the OEM Pedestal Spoiler is going on and it has a lot of black under it.
Old 12/6/10, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

The white vinyl because it is not as shiny would be hard to match according to my brother the body man, if he can't do it with the Vinyl it will probably just stay black, since the OEM Pedestal Spoiler is going on and it has a lot of black under it.
It will look good with the spoiler. Are you replacing the oe lip spoiler with the pedestal spoiler? Or are you lipless now?
Old 12/6/10, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Replacing the OE Lip Spoiler, I have the OE Pedestal already, waiting for CS grill surround to come in on Wednesday to have them both painted at the same time
Old 12/6/10, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Replacing the OE Lip Spoiler, I have the OE Pedestal already, waiting for CS grill surround to come in on Wednesday to have them both painted at the same time
It's gonna look good. Real good.

Quick Reply: Satellite antenna cover painted