Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rust from rear shock tower?

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/18, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rust from rear shock tower?

So I just turned over 90k miles on my 2014 GT. This is a daily driver, and we've had a ton of salt due to the single digit cold snaps we've had this past year. I haven't had a chance to take it through a car wash in a few weeks either.

Anyhow I found all of my stuff soaked the other day and I tore the trunk of my car apart to figure out where the leak was coming from. It appears that the bulk of it was coming from the taillight pins, which apparently is pretty common. What I haven't heard anything about, however, is the rusty water weeping from the top of the shock tower, between the plate and the tower. I haven't been able to find anything about this online.

I drive my car hard on either Boss LS shocks or Koni Yellows, depending on my mood. I can RTV the plate for the leak, but is this something that I'm likely going to have to worry about structurally? Thanks.
Old 2/17/18, 05:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
So I just turned over 90k miles on my 2014 GT. This is a daily driver, and we've had a ton of salt due to the single digit cold snaps we've had this past year. I haven't had a chance to take it through a car wash in a few weeks either.

Anyhow I found all of my stuff soaked the other day and I tore the trunk of my car apart to figure out where the leak was coming from. It appears that the bulk of it was coming from the taillight pins, which apparently is pretty common. What I haven't heard anything about, however, is the rusty water weeping from the top of the shock tower, between the plate and the tower. I haven't been able to find anything about this online.

I drive my car hard on either Boss LS shocks or Koni Yellows, depending on my mood. I can RTV the plate for the leak, but is this something that I'm likely going to have to worry about structurally? Thanks.
That is a TINY amount of surface rust, you're fine. If the paint were flaking off then I'd be worried. You can use some rust converter gel to clean it up

-edit-
It's probably just leaking from the rubber grommet (looks to be stains around it) and rusting where the paint didn't fully get into the seam between that reenforcement plate and the rest of the shock tower.

Last edited by Cavero; 2/17/18 at 05:16 AM.
Old 2/17/18, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
The gasket around the trunk lid doesn't seal all that well. One day I followed a flatbed hauling straw with a plume of blades coming off behind. When I opened the trunk I found pieces of straw on my sub woofer box. Funny thing is my trunk is dry even after a wash.
Old 2/19/18, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cavero
That is a TINY amount of surface rust, you're fine. If the paint were flaking off then I'd be worried. You can use some rust converter gel to clean it up

-edit-
It's probably just leaking from the rubber grommet (looks to be stains around it) and rusting where the paint didn't fully get into the seam between that reenforcement plate and the rest of the shock tower.

It feels like it's just rusty water stains from the water leaking from the inside of the shock tower, seeping through between the reinforcement plate and the floor. My concern is that this may be indicative of a greater rust problem inside the shock tower.
Old 2/19/18, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
It could just be water clinging to the seam between tower and the plate.

In the pic I see what looks like stains above that where the plate meets the rubber bumper.