Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/13, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Flat Tires

Anyone have experience / commentary on using run flat tires on a track pack GT? BMW uses run flat tires of the appropriate size, I believe.

Could this be a viable work around for having a slime bottle and compressor in the truck? I'd feel a little more comfortable on a trip further away from major centres if run flats would work.
Old 7/19/13, 05:26 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Vettes use run flats too. I have 'read' most people don't like the way they ride and handle. I thought about it but i bought a spare, jack and lug wrench instead
Old 7/19/13, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The car I traded in on my GT was a BMW Z4 coupe equipped with run-flat tires.

Run-flats (at least IMO) are an abomination! They tramline like crazy (the first month or so I had to keep two hands on the wheel at all times out of fear the car would spontaneously launch into the next lane). They also corner poorly (possibly due to the increased weight of the tire- I don't know why, but they were awful). Oh, they also cannot be repaired once they are punctured- run over a nail and they have to be replaced.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 (which won't go very far towards purchasing a set of those dogs- they're ungodly expensive as well).
Old 7/19/13, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

^^same! Had a '09 328i and experienced the same thing as Varilux. I wouldn't take run flats if they were free. Your better off getting a spare and jack.
Old 7/19/13, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not heard one good thing about the run flats. Everyone says the are horrible.
Old 7/19/13, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not unless you want frequent visits to your chiropractor.
Old 7/19/13, 10:25 PM

Had them on a Mini Cooper and bought nice new Michelins when I only had a few thousand miles. Worst riding tire ever imagined!
Old 7/20/13, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the responses. You have validated the limited information that had previously come my way.

So its jack / spare / wrench or stay with goop and blow.
Old 7/20/13, 10:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
Vettes use run flats too. I have 'read' most people don't like the way they ride and handle. I thought about it but i bought a spare, jack and lug wrench instead

Yep, hate 'em. The Goodyear's on my Vette get louder with every mile, and the ride is pretty harsh over small bumps/ridges in the road. As far as handling they do fine for me as I don't track the car, just drive it normally. My suggestion is the spare, jack, and wrench like David suggest. And, it will cost a lot less to go that route.
Old 7/21/13, 03:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only are they a really crappy idea for all the above mentioned reasons but they are over 2X the cost to replace. I had them on an 08 Z4 Sport and ditched them for some BFG's G Force's as soon as I got a flat in one of the rears. That was a week after I bought the car. $200 for a BFG or $435 for a Bridgestone. No brainer right there.
Old 7/21/13, 10:14 AM

How bout these for run flats.

Old 7/21/13, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Yep, hate 'em. The Goodyear's on my Vette get louder with every mile, and the ride is pretty harsh over small bumps/ridges in the road. As far as handling they do fine for me as I don't track the car, just drive it normally. My suggestion is the spare, jack, and wrench like David suggest. And, it will cost a lot less to go that route.
Meh, the factory Goodyear EMT's rode like Flintstones for sure, replaced 'em with Michelin PS2 run flats, totally different car. I'd imagine the same is true for all...depends on the runflats, stiffness of sidewall, other factors. Not all are bad.

That said, I haven't even thought about the spare in the Mustang...I'm guessing I should check into that. Heck, had the car 2 months now and still don't know how to hang up the Bluetooth when a call comes in through Synch. Guess I should probably take the time to read me some owners manual.
Old 7/22/13, 06:14 AM
Cobra Member

My wife's BMW had run flats....after her having to take a business trip out of town, she got a flat tire; it was unrepairable, and was not near a BMW dealership (I mention this because they usually stock all the sizes for the different BMW tire sizes). The nearest tireshop that could get her a run flat replacement tire said it would be two days. She did not want to spend two days at a hotel waiting for this tire. I ended up buying the tire at a BMW dealer (ouch; price was almost 400.00, for ONE tire), and driving over to where she was to have a local tire shop install it.

So, if you plan to ever take a trip with the vehicle with run flats, make sure you map out tire shops on your route that have, or can get your run flat tire in a reasonable time frame.

In my opinion, the auto manufacturers should make run flats an option, and not just the only tire available at the time of purchasing a new automobile. Saving weight and maybe .3 MPG by not having a spare tire may be nice, but not always the best in total cost savings when you cannot get a replacement tire when out of the city.

Needless to say, her BMW now has 4 non run flat tires on it, and the trunk carries a full size spare whenever the car sees a trip out of town.

Last edited by Bucko; 7/22/13 at 06:19 AM.
Old 7/22/13, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread has caused what is probably a stupid thought/question to pop into my head...

My understanding of the flat fix kit included with the Track Package is that- once you have injected the sealer into the tire- the tire will have to be replaced (correct me if I'm wrong). So, why not just throw a tire repair kit (with the awl, rubber strips, threading tool, and pliers) in the trunk? If you run over a nail, just pull the nail with the pliers, thread in a rubber strip, and use the included pump to reinflate the tire- which can then resume its normal function and lifespan.

Am I missing something here?
Old 7/22/13, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
This thread has caused what is probably a stupid thought/question to pop into my head...

My understanding of the flat fix kit included with the Track Package is that- once you have injected the sealer into the tire- the tire will have to be replaced (correct me if I'm wrong). So, why not just throw a tire repair kit (with the awl, rubber strips, threading tool, and pliers) in the trunk? If you run over a nail, just pull the nail with the pliers, thread in a rubber strip, and use the included pump to reinflate the tire- which can then resume its normal function and lifespan.

Am I missing something here?
The tire doesn't need to be replaced (unless it can't be repaired) only the TMS module. Some place charged extra for removing the sealer however.
Old 7/22/13, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

I made Ford eat the cost of the TMS module when I had a flat last year with the Mustang. I followed the directions of the owners manual on how to add their supplied tire repair gook, then inflated the tire with their supplied mini compressor. I then went to a tire shop to have the tire replaced, and this tire shop wanted to charge me for the TPMS. I went to my Ford dealer, and they too wanted to charge me. I told the service rep that I followed Fords directions with the Ford supplied repair, which damaged their TPMS.

They replaced the TPMS at no cost. I bought another can of the Ford tire goo. If it happens again (flat), I plan to do the same thing.