Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
Now that I look closer!!
Whoa, just like KITT.
Old 7/3/08, 06:00 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Why won't Ford make a Focus like that? Because buyers rather have a Focus with Sync than a Focus with a turbo. Focus buyers aren't into performance. Seems like they rather have techno gadgets and MPG rather than horsepower and cornering ability. It has shown recently with the boom of Focus sales.
You MIGHT be surprised by that. I get calls WEEKLY from Focus owners looking for a turbo kit for their car. I have requested that our R&D department look into development of a kit.
Old 7/3/08, 07:28 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMSBrad
I was surprised about three weeks ago when, out of nowhere, this photo of a 1984 SVO appeared on the Ford media site. Why would they have one photo, and no accompanying article, for a 25-year old car?

Today, Garage419 is reporting that Ford is considering an SVO revival, with a 300-hp Ecoboost four cylinder engine mated to a six-speed transmission in a car weighing as much as 500 pounds less than a GT.
Seeing that yanking the 4.6 V8 out of a S197 Mustang and leaving a gaping hole in the engine bay would save only 460 lbs, I'd like to know where that 500 lb weight loss is going to come from.
Old 7/3/08, 07:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If they do this and stay true to the original it would be sweet. Lighter, better brakes, better handling(IRS?). That SVC Stang didn't really impress me.
Old 7/3/08, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

personally i think the gt should have 2 models if possible V8 and TT V6 because well..there just should be lol

and topnotch, a turbo button? lol
Old 7/3/08, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

SVO here I come!
Old 7/4/08, 08:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Why won't Ford make a Focus like that? Because buyers rather have a Focus with Sync than a Focus with a turbo. Focus buyers aren't into performance. Seems like they rather have techno gadgets and MPG rather than horsepower and cornering ability. It has shown recently with the boom of Focus sales.

Well i'm a buyer (that wants to buy a Ford) and I think Ford should infuse some high performance in their cars. It seems that anything outside the Mustang in Ford's lineup is dull and boring. Sync can be put in a turbo focus or fusion. As far as MPGs go the SS Cobalt has very good MPG numbers for a powerful motor, probably better than Ford's new 3.5 V6. Focus sales are up because it is a compact, trust me the focus isn't the only compact selling better than usual. The Honda Civic overtook the Toyota Camry as the best selling car in the country. It's kinda funny how when the Focus first came to the states it was admired as a fun, sporty euro car now its got a totaly different character. The original Focus was used in rally racing across the world wouldn't that mean that Focus buyers like performance.
Old 7/4/08, 09:57 AM

Bring on a new SVO!

Interesting. Now is this an SVO or standard V6 replacement?

Like it or not I'm thinking by 2014 will see this line up.

Base: Turbo I4
GT: Twin Turbo V6
Boss: 5.0L V8
Shelby: Twin Turbo 5.0L V8
So where's the 6.2L that's announced to be out by then?

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
An SVO would be really cool, but I think it'd be awkward in a different body style. And a non-V8 GT is just plain wrong.
I disagree. The Turbo 4 GTs in the 1980s were anything but wrong.

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I like the idea of a 300HP 4 banger but is it really gonna be much better on gas?
Yes.
Old 7/4/08, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

They cancelled the 6.2 as far as the Mustang goes. It will be F series and E series only.
Old 7/4/08, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can anybody tell me about the SVC Mustang in this thread or where I can read about it? I have never heard of it, but it only looks like a V-6 with a blower on it. The airbox is unique, but there has to be more to it.
Old 7/4/08, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up I would buy one.

If the NEW turbo inline 4 SVO Mustang comes out hundreds of pounds lighter than the current GT, in the 300+ horsepower range and set up with a handling suspension, (Talk about well balanced) and not over the top BLING (no tall wings or huge nonfunctional scoops), I would buy one.

That is provided the new body and styling changes don't miss the mark.

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Regarding the price of a GTDi 4 cylinder Mustang, assuming the motor is a mainstream piece it shouldn't cost any more to produce than a 3.5L DOHC six equipped Mustang, and potentially wouldn't cost as much. I say this because a turbo four is typically a cheaper engine to produce than is a six even when the latter is naturally aspirated so long as production volume and tech are reasonably similar. And even if the GTDi four is question uses a forged crankshaft, the reality is that the 3.5L Duratec does too and as that is the most likely alternative for Mustang duty this doesn't work in the six pots favor. Outside of that variable a turbo four is typically a cheaper engine to produce than is a six even when the latter is naturally aspirated so long as production volume and tech are reasonably similar.

The more I think about this the more I cannot get around the fact that the SVO was the coolest, non V8 Mustang ever produced by some margin. A revived model would be loved for all the same reasons that car is, so in the great turbo four versus V6 debate I think I'm leaning back toward the GTDi 4 side.
Old 7/4/08, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Me too...

But comparing the weight of say a fox body Mustang (no I don't want another) to the S197's I would really like to know exactly where all that extra weight is coming from?

I like my S197's so much I'll take them complete with all the weight, I would still like to know where it is, and where some of it could be removed/reduced...

Maybe a pie chart of each, a fox body Mustang & a S197...

body/
front suspension/
front brakes/
rear suspension/
rear brakes/
rear end/
engine/
transmission/
front fenders/
hood/
bumpers/
sound deadening/
carpet & headliner/
seats/
dash & interior panels/
etc...

Originally Posted by V10
Seeing that yanking the 4.6 V8 out of a S197 Mustang and leaving a gaping hole in the engine bay would save only 460 lbs, I'd like to know where that 500 lb weight loss is going to come from.
Old 7/4/08, 02:07 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Well here's my question, is Ford ditching the EcoBoost V6 TT, or is the EcoBoost TT 4 banger just going to be another option, in addition to the TT V6
Old 7/4/08, 03:05 PM
MSP
Banned

You guys can sense it huh? With oil companies absolutely raping us everyday, you guys can smell it in the air. The return of the "Beast Master"! Something wicked this way comes, producing 35mpg and sporting a 9in rear-end with a 6spd transmission.

The Mustangs last stand and return of the Mustang SVO! Inline DOHC 4 cylinder twin turbo targeting the Corvette ZR1! With no Gas Guzzler tax!

Lets grab some popcorn and sit back a watch Ford shock the world!

Come save us oh mighty Mustang SVO! Your time has come!
Old 7/4/08, 05:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Me too...

But comparing the weight of say a fox body Mustang (no I don't want another) to the S197's I would really like to know exactly where all that extra weight is coming from?

I like my S197's so much I'll take them complete with all the weight, I would still like to know where it is, and where some of it could be removed/reduced...
I have both cars and drive each regularly. I need to say that there's a huge difference between the two.

Compaired to the S197, the Svo is as sure-footed as the GT, but I don't think it's better, and the ride is rough. Even w/the GT lowered with the FRPP springs, it still rides better.

As for the S197; I can't see where the weight savings is coming from. Smaller engine w/rear seat delete? Who knows.

If they make another SVO, it will be very different from the original and much like the Bullitt and California Special. It will carry the name in spirit only. Keep in mind that it can be anything Ford wants it to be.
Old 7/4/08, 05:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well here's my question, is Ford ditching the EcoBoost V6 TT, or is the EcoBoost TT 4 banger just going to be another option, in addition to the TT V6
EB Six would take over most V8 duty, with mild boost the I4 would take over for normal sixes. But with a more aggressive boost/tune, the I4 could get to V8 territory.
Old 7/4/08, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
EB Six would take over most V8 duty, with mild boost the I4 would take over for normal sixes. But with a more aggressive boost/tune, the I4 could get to V8 territory.
Definitely. Hell, look at the SRT-4's. The cars weren't all that bad out of the factory, but with some upped boost/tune, etc... and you got yourself one fast little sucker.
Old 7/4/08, 09:39 PM

ya supersugeknight look at a forum like focus fanatics. there are turbo focuses with almost 400whp. also look at how many people autocross and drag race those things
Old 7/5/08, 06:10 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Me too...

Maybe a pie chart of each, a fox body Mustang & a S197...

body/
front suspension/
front brakes/
rear suspension/
rear brakes/
rear end/
engine/
transmission/
front fenders/
hood/
bumpers/
sound deadening/
carpet & headliner/
seats/
dash & interior panels/
etc...

A S197 is longer, wider & taller than a Fox all of which means more weight.
The unibody of a S197 is about 3 times stiffer in bending & twisting than a Fox unibody which requires more steel.

In addition a S197 has far more safety equipment. Things like the latest side impact regulations which make the door beams much larger and require more metal in the sides of the unibody all add weight.
Old 7/5/08, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mossberg
They cancelled the 6.2 as far as the Mustang goes. It will be F series and E series only.
That's a bummer.

Me too...

Like V10 said, the Fox platform is a smaller, more flimsy car and the S197 has more gadgets in it. I'm all for making the Muistang smaller than it currently is, and that would cut some weight.

Originally Posted by MSP
The Mustangs last stand and return of the Mustang SVO! Inline DOHC 4 cylinder twin turbo targeting the Corvette ZR1! With no Gas Guzzler tax!
The DOHC motors have a really hard time spooling up and making power down low. I know some Focus and Supra guys and that's their biggest complaint. They envy the low end torque that the 2.3L lima makes and wish they had that. I know the DOHCs flow better and all, but you have to zing them to make any power. They're super doggy off the line, even with the twin turbos.

Originally Posted by bronco II 5.0
ya supersugeknight look at a forum like focus fanatics. there are turbo focuses with almost 400whp. also look at how many people autocross and drag race those things
Yeah, there's a ton of those guys on there. I personally know xp0s3d and his is pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Return of the SVO?