2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Retractable Hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/06, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retractable Hardtop

I found this while looking at the hydraulic hybrid thing.

Truth? It would be cool.
Old 3/3/06, 11:15 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As cool as it sounds, the G6 was an engineering disaster that was month behind schedule and had a huge cost/weight penalty.

The only way it could happen is if they do something similar on the planned lincoln coupe based off the S197 and trickled it down. I think weight would go up more than the standard convertible though.
Old 3/3/06, 04:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 3/3/06, 05:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That would make me want a convertible. I've always been anti-vert becuase of soft tops that are obvious colors like tan, and becuuae most of the time they make the car two tone except for the black cars with black tops and so on. You could get the coupe look, with droptopability! PLUS...We would get the "hardtop" style back from the '60's instead of the fastback. Maybe we could have both again???
Old 3/3/06, 05:51 PM
FR500 Member

If Ford can do it with the C1 Focus convertible (concept?) then the Mustang wouldn't be too far-fetched at all. However, given Ford's beancounters - it would probably be a manual hard top. Y'know, to save costs. J/K! Nice idea, but don't see it happening with the Mustang.
Old 3/3/06, 06:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ March 3, 2006, 1:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
As cool as it sounds, the G6 was an engineering disaster that was month behind schedule and had a huge cost/weight penalty.

The only way it could happen is if they do something similar on the planned lincoln coupe based off the S197 and trickled it down. I think weight would go up more than the standard convertible though.
[/b][/quote]

Did I miss something??
Old 3/3/06, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

That wold be awesome, but I don't see it happening either, i like the vert idea, but i hate the look with the top up as codeman said, a T-top wouldn't be as far fetched (not saying that the retractable hard top is far fetched) but you get what I mean, though I'm not sure how well a T-top would do, I just know I'd like it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] , to bad its not all about me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 10:44 PM

A Lincoln coupe? That could help make this hard top 'vert a reality...'cause a hard top vert makes great sense for an upmarket FoMoCo product and sharing it with other cars, I would think, should make it less expensive.
Ford wowed Europe with the Focus Vignale concept a couple of years back and now the production Focus CC is supposed to go on sale in Europe in the fall (but never in the US, darn.)...and here in the US they've got the Volvo C70 three piece convertible hard top about to go on sale. So FoMoCo has some experience with 2+2 retractable hardtops that could be applied the Mustang, if the bean counters can be made happy. I've got my fingers crossed! (and I'm working on the down payment)

The C70 in action...
Old 3/4/06, 12:21 AM
Cobra Member

Retractable hardtop? No thanks. I like simple ragtops.
Old 3/4/06, 12:34 PM

The longer I think about it, I think that a power hard-top would seriously impede on the Mustang tradition. It just doesnt feel like a natural progression that this car would make, and I feel the same about a DVD/navigation system. These cars have always been fairly simple, and non-luxurious, and I think that it will continue to do it. Plus, in order to pull it off, the back would have to get a lot longer in order to store the top. I dont think it will happen. But neat idea.
Old 3/4/06, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

like Scottie said ...........no thanks! (sometimes less is more.)

Also; what killed the thunderbird was the car was grosely overpriced. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 04:00 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In response to Cody, http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...=73237465010908

If they built a retractable hardtop on this model, it could theoretically trickle down to the Mustang.

It would make a convertible attractive to people in the snow belt, as long as the price doesn't go up
Old 3/4/06, 04:07 PM

Oh....thanks...I had no idea that something like that was in the workings.
Old 3/5/06, 01:08 AM

The Mazda (also a FoMoCo related company) Miata MX-5 or whatever you like to call it this week is another car with a strong although not as long standing tradition as the Mustang and pretty dedicated enthusiasts...and the rumors of a retractable hardtop as an option for late '07 has a lot of Miata guys up in arms (and some happy and hopeful that it happens).

So really, would be that bad if a hardtop 'vert was an option for the Mustang. and Can you really stick with tradition when H.T. 'verts are the industy standard in 5-10 years? Aw heck even pontiac is doing it and I think the pricing on their G6 isn't too outrageous. Price is really the key for whatever upgrades companies make to affordable cars Like the Mustang and Miata.
Old 3/5/06, 11:04 AM

Uhh...I might just live under a rock, but I dont know too many guys who would consider themselves Miata enthusiasts.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/gay.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 08:41 AM
GT Member

I would love to have a hard-top convertible and the Mustang is the perfect platform for it. It would be great to have the structural rigidity and low noise of a coupe, but have the ability to drop the top any time you want. As long as it isn't a one-piece design like the T-bird, I'd be all for it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

-TRB
Old 3/11/06, 10:38 AM

What ?...no reaction to the gay smilie??
Old 4/11/06, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

a 3-piece hardtop would be [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] if it would be a one piece... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] instead of them just making a larger trunk or backend, when the top is down it could just take up the trunk room... in theory, they could do this without making it extremely heavy either. Just that stuff the ricers use on their entire car on our hardtop, and it could posibabally be lighter, or the same weight, as a normal vert.

but, i'd buy this in '09. or even '07 if it were there...
Old 4/14/06, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cadmonkey12 @ March 4, 2006, 12:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A Lincoln coupe? That could help make this hard top 'vert a reality...'cause a hard top vert makes great sense for an upmarket FoMoCo product and sharing it with other cars, I would think, should make it less expensive.
Ford wowed Europe with the Focus Vignale concept a couple of years back and now the production Focus CC is supposed to go on sale in Europe in the fall (but never in the US, darn.)...and here in the US they've got the Volvo C70 three piece convertible hard top about to go on sale. So FoMoCo has some experience with 2+2 retractable hardtops that could be applied the Mustang, if the bean counters can be made happy. I've got my fingers crossed! (and I'm working on the down payment)

The C70 in action...
[/b][/quote]

is the new focus supposed to fight the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and so on? If so, then good for Ford.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(codeman94 @ March 4, 2006, 2:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The longer I think about it, I think that a power hard-top would seriously impede on the Mustang tradition. It just doesnt feel like a natural progression that this car would make, and I feel the same about a DVD/navigation system. These cars have always been fairly simple, and non-luxurious, and I think that it will continue to do it. Plus, in order to pull it off, the back would have to get a lot longer in order to store the top. I dont think it will happen. But neat idea.
[/b][/quote]

Hey remember the Grande of 69 and the Ghias of the Mustang II's. Those cars were very luxurious for their time. For example, the Grande had a vinyl roof. At least know your Mustang roots. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/18/06, 11:12 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FordRacing421 @ March 3, 2006, 11:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That wold be awesome, but I don't see it happening either, i like the vert idea, but i hate the look with the top up as codeman said, a T-top wouldn't be as far fetched (not saying that the retractable hard top is far fetched) but you get what I mean, though I'm not sure how well a T-top would do, I just know I'd like it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] , to bad its not all about me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
T tops are in the works at mustang parts direct

Quick Reply: Retractable Hardtop?