Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RENTAL: 2012 GT for a road trip. Superb..but no regrets on my option choices

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/11, 07:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
RENTAL: 2012 GT for a road trip. Superb..but no regrets on my option choices

I showed up at Budget to pick up my sub compact Hyundai shi-box for a 600 mile weekend road trip, to keep the miles off of my car...but when I got there, I found a Coyote powered Mustang GT and a Camaro SS sitting on the lot, waiting for a renter. Seriously...this NEVER happens in CT. If you find a V6 Mustang, you're lucky.

While the original plan was to rent the cheapest car I could get, I was excited about the opportunity to drive a hot rod for the trip and very interested at trying out the "Brand X" muscle car for the weekend but they wanted $80/day for the Camaro SS and half that for the Mustang GT...for whatever reason. So I signed the paperwork for the Stang and hopped into the familiar cockpit with a smile on my face. It was about $15/day more than I planned on...but worth it.

My car is a BBP package car with 6 spd, 3.55 axle and nothing else. The rental was a black 2012 400A car with an auto, black leather, Sync, base wheels, etc...the way all GT rentals seem to be setup, actually...so basically the exact opposite of my car in terms of options. It was interesting to try out such a differently equipt car.

All in all, it was the BEST road tripping machine I have ever driven. Smooth, quiet (just a soothing rumble from the Coyote in the background) hauled butt when you needed, comfortable seats for the long haul. It just sails right along at 80mph effortlessly. The car clocked in at just about 25mpg too.

Stuff I liked better about the rental than my car:

The ride is MUCH more comfortable than the BBP equipt car
The seats were surprisingly nice....I love the stitching
The Shaker stereo is a big improvement
The steering was heavier (?) and felt a little better
NO wheel hop (I didn't abuse the car, but I had to try)
Some minor improvements to the interior materials
Nice gauge colors (MyColor)
Much nicer steering wheel

Stuff I didn't like:

More body roll under handling/dive under braking
The automatic is fine...but doesn't act like a performance car transmission/
Auto didn't respond quick enough in general
The general softness made it feel less "track ready"
Luxury stuff felt out of place, didn't make the car more fun
The standard wheels just don't look sporty enough for the car. 18" size is fine but they're not agressive looking at all.
The car needs a more agressive axle ratio...I believe this one had 3.15...so 3.31s might do wonders.

All in all, I bought the car the way I wanted it and I have no regrets... but I really enjoyed the more loaded Mustang GT as well.

If you ever get the chance, try renting a Mustang in a different flavor...it's a cool experience.

Last edited by MRGTX; 10/17/11 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10/17/11, 08:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
BTW, the car had 13,500 very hard miles on it...lots and lots of scratches and a few dings...but despite probably having been flogged by every hooligan who rented it, it still felt tight as a drum. No rattles to speak of.
Old 10/17/11, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good review. I had a similar experience with my Fusion Sport before. Needed a rental and all they had was a baseline 4cyl Fusion. It's funny the little things we take for granted until we don't have them.
Old 10/17/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. I'd love to get a Mustang for a renter. I'd even be happy with a V6.

I just got back from almost 2 weeks in MS and the best thing in National's "Emerald Isle" was a Chrysler #2. Err, excuse me, 200. After driving that thing I was very happy to get back into my beater Accord Coupe at the airport. When I took the Mustang out the next day, wow... I forgot what real performance was like.

Oh, and I agree with your assesment of the auto. It would be much more enjoyable if it would kickdown with less throttle angle.

Last edited by Keystone; 10/17/11 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10/17/11, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

I am still in awe that any national rental chain would actually rent out a 412 HP car. As well as a 426hp one. I guess the legal dept. was out on sabbatical when that decision was made.

I went from a 2011 vert 6MT to a 2012 6AT coupe with the base wheels (which I am fond of just wish they were 19"), and I tend to agree with most of your observations. The auto has an incredibly deep 1st gear, but its gear changes and downshifts are indeed far too leisurely for a car of this nature. Still, I've driven worse, and 412 HP is still on tap and I am really enjoying the 6AT the more I drive it.

I also second your recommendation of driving another S197 with different options if you get the chance. My experience driving a 2010 GT 401A Brick/Sterling with auto and EP was interesting (dealer loaner last year when they had to keep my 2011 5.0 'vert overnight), and ended up convincing me I should have gotten the coupe (which I now have) and that I didn't need the EP, at least at the price they were asking, altho the Sirius weather was cool. It also convinced me that the 4.6L/5AT is a heck of a great drivetrain, albeit with slightly less insane acceleration. Slightly.
Old 10/17/11, 08:53 PM
V6 Member

I rented 3 V6 Mustang convertables in Hawaii in May. I think every third car on the road was a Mustang rental. The rentals were slow with V6 auto and no PP but all looked great in black, silver and Kona Blue(in Kona). Wouldn't have picked any other car although Jeeps were popular for off roading.

My first one was a base and second 2 were premiums. The only thing I didn't like about the base was the steering wheel(which I have changed on my GT). Didn't really think much of Sync, upgraded radio or "my color".

How could not love a convertible Mustang in Hawaii. The wife was mad at me a few times because I refused to put the top up when it was hot or cool. I even drove through a short rain shower with the top down. Priceless.
Old 10/17/11, 09:05 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 609 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I am still in awe that any national rental chain would actually rent out a 412 HP car. As well as a 426hp one. I guess the legal dept. was out on sabbatical when that decision was made.
Wonder if Hertz still has these?

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/i...orvettezhz.jsp