2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Remote Start and Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/10, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start and Heated Seats

I didn't see a post like this, so hopefully not a repeat.

I have read that the remote start is dealer installed and does not come on the car from the factory.

How integrated it is? I'm especially curious about it in cold weather.
Does it turn on the HVAC (obviously at whatever settings it is at)?
Does it turn on the rear defroster?
Does it turn on the heated seats?

I'm hoping someone has actual experience with the heated seats. With the 2011 would be even better.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 4/22/10, 06:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Remote start shows up on my window sticker from the factory. It's not listed under a Dealer installed accessory.

I'm pretty sure it's installed on the line.
Old 4/22/10, 07:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine was installed by the dealer on my 07, does not turn on seats or rear window defroster, heat/AC will come on at what ever the last setting was. On some of the Lincoln remotes and other cars you can hit one of the fob buttons and the rear window defroster will come on but not on mine, they may have changed it for the newer models.
Old 4/22/10, 07:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Weird. Mine was dealer installed...

The only thing it does is turn on the HVAC to the settings you currently left it at (also the stereo, lights (if left on automatic), and it keeps the car locked the whole time.). I mean I honestly wouldn't want it to turn on the seats, defrost, or much else. Because I use the remote start in the spring, summer and fall... So it does no good for those to be turned on automatically. If there was user input to dictate when and what turns on, then sure... but that involves a lot of integration ($$$).

And so in the winter, what I would do is the night before crank the flow and heat, then whole car- seats, steering wheel, controls, were all warmed up nicely in 5 min.
Old 4/22/10, 07:28 AM
GT Member

I believe as of this model remote start has gone from a dealer installed option to a factory option.

tom
Old 4/22/10, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My father-in-law just bought a new Taurus that had dealer installed remote start. If that means anything.
Old 4/22/10, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kierankelly
Remote start shows up on my window sticker from the factory. It's not listed under a Dealer installed accessory.

I'm pretty sure it's installed on the line.
I also ordered remote start on my '11GT, it's option # 603, so it seems like it should be factory installed. Did you get your VIN #? I was hoping that this option would not hold up production of my car. Car was ordered on 3/24 and is still awaiting it's birth.
Old 4/22/10, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hm...good to think about if you are getting remote start...make sure your HVAC controls are set to where you think you will want them next time you start the car. Imagine coming home with Max A/C on a warm day. Then it gets cold overnight and you remote start the next morning. Or vice versa. You'll be in for a little surprise when you finally get in your car. LOL.
Old 4/22/10, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nsthesa
I also ordered remote start on my '11GT, it's option # 603, so it seems like it should be factory installed. Did you get your VIN #? I was hoping that this option would not hold up production of my car. Car was ordered on 3/24 and is still awaiting it's birth.
Yup. Got my window sticker last week.

2011 Mustang GT Window Sticker

Built on the 12th, so hopefully not too much longer before I get to have my new car.
Old 4/22/10, 09:35 AM
GT Member

Yup. Got my window sticker last week.

2011 Mustang GT Window Sticker

Built on the 12th, so hopefully not too much longer before I get to have my new car.

Wow! that's looks great! when did you order the car?
Old 4/22/10, 01:03 PM
V6 Member

remote start

I checked and I am pretty sure there is no factory remote start with a manual transmission. It can be installed afterwards however as I have a car now with remote start and manual. It is a bit of a process that must be followed exactly on turn-off (stop-put in neutral-pull up emergency brake) but otherwise works fine.
Old 4/22/10, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nsthesa
Wow! that's looks great! when did you order the car?
Ordered it 1/18. Originally ordered a 2010 back in December, but it didn't get pulled prior to moving over to the 11s, so I just re-did the order for the 2011.

Dealer told me it would be here next week. I hope he's right. Probably get delayed a bit, but that's fine.
Old 4/22/10, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Ordered it 1/18. Originally ordered a 2010 back in December, but it didn't get pulled prior to moving over to the 11s, so I just re-did the order for the 2011.

Dealer told me it would be here next week. I hope he's right. Probably get delayed a bit, but that's fine.
great..best of luck
Old 4/22/10, 05:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Remote Start used to be a "Factory Invoiced Accessory" meaning that it was invoiced by the factory (included in the cost of the car), but still dealer installed. The 2010 and 2011 Mustang order guides now show Remote Start as "pre-installed" at the factory. Having it done after-the-fact, is much more expensive than doing it on the assembly line, so if you want it you should order it with the car.
Old 4/23/10, 05:33 AM

I do plan to order it with the car. Just the hassle of doing it later is enough to get it with the car. I'm just hoping it does more than just start it since it is over $300.

2010 Mustang GT,
For the rear defroster and heated seats I was asking about when it is cold outside. My wifes '08 Impala (and other GM cars we have had), would only turn on the rear defroster if it was cold outside, and would not if it was warm. My brother has had GMC SUVs and those seats would come on when it was cold outside.
Old 4/23/10, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

What is it with people and heated seats? My wife wants them too, but I don't understand why. I've lived in some cold areas. My hands, arms, face, ears, feet, legs...almost every part of my body has been quite cold at times...with the exception of my butt. Never once in my life has my butt been cold. Do you all seriously get cold butts? It's like being thirsty so someone brings you a bag of pretzels.

I like the idea of the defroster being turned on automatically. However, having the heated seats turned on would just annoy me. A configurable system would be the best.
Old 4/23/10, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 4/23/10, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Skotty
What is it with people and heated seats? My wife wants them too, but I don't understand why. I've lived in some cold areas. My hands, arms, face, ears, feet, legs...almost every part of my body has been quite cold at times...with the exception of my butt. Never once in my life has my butt been cold. Do you all seriously get cold butts? It's like being thirsty so someone brings you a bag of pretzels.

I like the idea of the defroster being turned on automatically. However, having the heated seats turned on would just annoy me. A configurable system would be the best.
I thought the same until our hybrid escape came with leather and heated seats (we couldn't order the navigation without leather), they definitely are nice to have when you get into your car when it's 5 degrees outside.
I still prefer cloth seats though, they don't burn in the summer, and don't freeze in the winter.
Old 4/23/10, 08:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Skotty

Yes, with leather seats in Ottawa, Canada winters my butt gets very, very cold until the car has a chance to warm up, which is about five to ten minutes. I'm not hugely under or over weight, or overly sensitive, or a big puss...errr, wimp. Leather + Ottawa = Freezing Butt. Ford obviously recognizes this because on Canadian Mustangs, all leather seats are heated (since '08, I think)
Old 4/23/10, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd be a bit upset if the defroster only worked when it was actually cold outside. In the south it isn't uncommon for a car sitting outside overnight to be completely covered with dew the next morning, especially if it's been raining the day before. In these conditions it's hard to see out any window, so my typical procedure is to hit the wipers once, roll down the windows, then roll them back up, and hit the defroster to vaporize all that dew. Works just as well on dew as it does on ice.

As for heated leather seats, I've never been too picky about them, but a lot of people in my family swear by them, and I kinda wanted a power passenger seat anyway after my experience with my '04 Mustang (everyone who ever sat in that thing insisted the driver's seat was more comfortable. I had to agree, and the difference between the two seats was just that, driver's side was powered, passenger side not). For me it was more a decision for passenger comfort, though I figure I'll see some use out of those seats myself.