Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

regular or premium?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/13, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
The car will produce less power with 87 octane regardless of what the manual says is recommended. For the extra $4 a tank ( and the full 420 horses ) gimme the premium!
I agree with this
Old 2/24/13, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I'm with the majority here, run premium and call it a day. I have a 93 tune Steeda cold air and run 94 gas in it. It runs like a champ.
Ditto except I run 93.
Old 2/24/13, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Would premium help my 99-04 GT?
Old 2/24/13, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I personally use premium but the debate never ends. Frankly I think the whole thing is a conspiracy - I mean my dad swears by premium but he's putting it in a Duratec35 inside a 2012 Edge. Who knows.
Old 2/24/13, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
I personally use premium but the debate never ends. Frankly I think the whole thing is a conspiracy - I mean my dad swears by premium but he's putting it in a Duratec35 inside a 2012 Edge. Who knows.
There is a school of thought that says they have the higher grade gas in all pumps. I do not believe this because if you run lower octane gas you will notice the difference in a hi-pro vehicle. It is simple physics. more octane more combustibility, more power. The real question is the power worth the price. Well we all bought Mustangs over the smaller cars so we answered that question on our day of purchase.
Old 2/24/13, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems everyone has an opinion on this. I use premium out here in South Dakota simply because it is pure gasoline, no ethanol. The 87 and 88 octane have 10% ethanol added.

However, I recommend you go to this site and read the information provided on what is known as a Top Tier Gasoline. I always use one of these brands. Again, a personal choice.

http://www.toptiergas.com

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 2/24/13 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spell check..ugh!
Old 2/24/13, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Good call on Top Tier Gasoline. I try to stick to those brands as well.

I bought my Mustang because it is a car in which I can have fun and be comfortable at the same time. It's replacing a Honda S2000 that is an incomparable driver's car but not much fun to ride in. My Mustang will be my daily driver and road trip car, so the vast majority of miles will not involve hard acceleration or hard cornering. I have no problem with straight line acceleration, but I prefer autocross. It would be fun to be the fastest guy in my class, but my goal (and I get great pleasure from achieving it) is always to run clean and turn a faster time than my previous run. I bought a V6 Premium convertible without any of the performance upgrades after having driven a couple of them and having found that they can be plenty fast enough and handle plenty well enough to be a lot of fun. The performance packages include larger diameter wheels and tires and lower geared differentials. The tires would be more expensive to replace and the lower gearing would cause mileage to drop a bit. My S2000 required premium fuel and I won't miss paying an extra 25 - 30 cents a gallon. My choices are perfect for me and doubtless unacceptable to others.

The bottom line is that it is your car so use the type of fuel you wish. It will run on regular. You are the only one who can make the right decision for you. Most of all, drive it and enjoy it.
Old 2/24/13, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My car only drinks 93 octane.
Old 2/24/13, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
My 13 Gt book says 87 octane. Thats all I have run. I get 24 mpg on the highway at 79mph.
Yes your manual says you can run 87 octane; however, have you not read the section in the manual specifically for the 5.0 engine?

Quick synopsis: Your 5.0 will run on 87 octane, but premium fuel is recommended for full performance.

Last edited by fake; 2/24/13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2/24/13, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Would premium help my 99-04 GT?
I don't think anything can help them.
Old 2/24/13, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

I don't think anything can help them.
Ooooo someone's has a ego because they own a 2013 lol XD that's not true running 93 with a tune will help them.
Old 2/24/13, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Ooooo someone's has a ego because they own a 2013 lol XD that's not true running 93 with a tune will help them.
She is a lot more knowledgeable about Mustangs than You.
Old 2/24/13, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper

She is a lot more knowledgeable about Mustangs than You.
To say nothing can help the 99-04 GT's is retarded. With a tune with 93 you can expect at lest 10-20 more hp. Again stating nothing can "help" these cars is very egotistic and wasnt based on fact.
Old 2/24/13, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

To say nothing can help the 99-04 GT's is retarded. With a tune with 93 you can expect at lest 10-20 more hp. Again stating nothing can "help" these cars is very egotistic and wasnt based on fact.
Yeah AM actually picked up 25 hp and 40 torque with a c&l intake and a 93 Bama tune. Pretty descent IMO.
Old 2/24/13, 08:31 PM
Banned

Definitely not having an ego because I have a '13. Regardless of what I'm driving, stock, out of the box, the 4.6's were dogs. Mach's upped the ante, and Cobra's blew the door off the hinges, but the regular GT wasn't much but a noisemaker compared to it's direct competition.

I still remember being completely shocked (I had always regarded all Mustangs highly when I was young) when I took my '98 Grand Prix GTP to the dragstrip with a friend that had a full exhaust/CAI/ Bullitt Mustang of that ilk and he couldn't get out of the 14's, and yet with a $40 supercharger pulley and a gutted stock airbox I was able to crack the 13's. That was the day where my infallible view of the Mustang was forever shattered.

I still love them, I still love the way they look. I just wish they had the better engine then. It's a shame that the catfish Camaro back then trumped them in the power department.
Old 2/24/13, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

Yeah AM actually picked up 25 hp and 40 torque with a c&l intake and a 93 Bama tune. Pretty descent IMO.
XD New edge mustangs do gain power from using 93, granted more power with a time for it. Also they added a off road X and a chokemaster exhaust to it and it still made noticeable gains from it. If she knew more than me about mustangs she would have known that and wouldn't have made a off beat comment like that.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 2/24/13 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2/24/13, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Definitely not having an ego because I have a '13. Regardless of what I'm driving, stock, out of the box, the 4.6's were dogs. Mach's upped the ante, and Cobra's blew the door off the hinges, but the regular GT wasn't much but a noisemaker compared to it's direct competition.

I still remember being completely shocked (I had always regarded all Mustangs highly when I was young) when I took my '98 Grand Prix GTP to the dragstrip with a friend that had a full exhaust/CAI/ Bullitt Mustang of that ilk and he couldn't get out of the 14's, and yet with a $40 supercharger pulley and a gutted stock airbox I was able to crack the 13's. That was the day where my infallible view of the Mustang was forever shattered.

I still love them, I still love the way they look. I just wish they had the better engine then. It's a shame that the catfish Camaro back then trumped them in the power department.
I know it has been always camaro vs mustang, but in those years it was hardly a comparison. 20k pony car vs 30k "corvette motor and tranny". I'm sure using whatever their price difference was for mods would lessen the gap.

And I agree the 2v's weren't the best, but they were also cheap. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by steven46746; 2/24/13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2/24/13, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

XD New edge mustangs do gain power from using 93, granted more power with a time for it. Also they added a off road X and a chokemaster exhaust to it and it still made noticeable gains from it. If she knew more than me about mustangs she would have known that and wouldn't have made a off beat comment like that.
Your forgetting that the camaro SS and z28 costed more than the mustang GT. try comparing cars in the same price bracket. Why do you compare cars that cost thousands more to a GT? The camaro SS wasn't the rival of the 2v GT's they were the rival of the cobra's. When built right the 2v 4.6 can also make faster times than the new 5.0. So to say nothing helps these cars is bull****. It's like with any car it's who ever has the most money to spend. Hell there are civics that can beat the new mustang and there worse stock then the new edge mustang. It just takes more mods to go faster that's it. Also hate to say this to you but swapping the tranny and beefing up the rear end and putting forged internals with twin turbo on what you call a "dog" will rape just about anything in the 1/4 mile. It's all about what you want and how big your wallet is.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 2/24/13 at 08:41 PM.
Old 2/24/13, 08:43 PM
Banned

Like I said someone's egotistical about having a 2013. XD New edge mustangs do gain power from using 93, granted more power with a time for it. Also they added a off road X and a chokemaster exhaust to it and it still made noticeable gains from it. If she knew more than me about mustangs she would have known that and wouldn't have made a off beat comment like that.
Believe me, this little '13 isn't the fastest or the coolest car I've had.
Fastest Car: 2005 GTO, 410+RWHP; best of 12.4@119 on DRs and a terrible 60'
Coolest Car: 1966 Chevrolet Impala; 2-Door Hardtop, 283/3-Speed Manual

My lightly modded '88 T/A that was my "beater/daily driver" to my GTO kept up with the 2 Valve 4.6 cars. It was a low 14 second car I'm sure. Just like that era Mustang.

My prior car, the grocery getter family car GTP also was jokingly called "Faster than a Speeding Bullitt" after my dragstrip day. Then again it scraped mid 12's by the time I sold it and then the new owner swapped the blower for a turbo and went for 11's.

I was just joking that they aren't exactly a platform that has the best starting point.

My *other car* before I sold the GTO for the Mustang last summer was a 2004 New Beetle Convertible. 125hp of awesome. Sold both of those for this car.

Trust me, I had a view that a car that was slower than a 13.5 really isn't all that fast of a car for a long time.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 2/24/13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 2/24/13, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

I know it has been always camaro vs mustang, but in those years it was hardly a comparison. 20k pony car vs 30k "corvette motor and tranny". I'm sure using whatever their price difference was for mods would lessen the gap.

And I agree the 2v's weren't the best, but they were also cheap. You get what you pay for.
Lol for 10k you could get nice tires and supercharge it as well as full exhaust, and possibly get forged internals.....

Quick Reply: regular or premium?