2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Redline MTL Swap & the Mystery Stock Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/11, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller
Seems they just changed the website recommendations today, now it does recommend MT-90.
Yeah, they removed the mention of the ford QS spec on the MTL webpage.

I was seriously considering doing this but now, I would think this would be grounds for ford to deny warranty coverage if I had any further issues.

I had the dealership replace with the QDC fluid and so far...so good.
Old 8/15/11, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya, what's funny is that the QDC doesn't even meet the specs for the MT82.
Old 8/16/11, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

amsoil updated their site now too 75w-90 is recommended fluid- i knew this was gonna happen.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
Old 8/16/11, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

from Redline's website:
RED LINE MTL® and MT-90 are designed to provide excellent protection and improved shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles. MTL and MT-90 have cured the problem of hard shifting in numerous transmissions which have notoriously difficult shifting. MTL is a low 75W, almost a 70W, at very low temperatures and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. MT-90
is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL.

looking at Redline's specs of the MTL and comparing them to the Motorcraft QS shows that the MTL viscosity is thinner at the 2 std temperature measurements but the MT-90 viscosity is thicker than the Motorcraft QS when cold

the QS fluid also has a higher viscosity index than both which means it's viscosity is more stable throughout it's temp. range and it's pour point, which is the ability to flow at all is a lower temp. than both, with the MT-90 being the worst

now how about the QDC? even Motorcraft doesn't give hardly any specs but it does state to "Use only in DPS6 PowerShift twin dry-clutch transmissions"
also it's viscosity is only given as 32 cST, it should be given at 2 temps, 40 C and 100 C
the QS viscosity at those temps is 76 and 15.4, MTL is 56.2 and 10.6, MT-90 is 90 and 15.6
so I would venture to say the QDC is some thin a** fluid

IMO the MTL is a little thinner than the QS and the MT-90 is a little thicker than the QS, but aren't we trying to help cold(er) shifting effort anyway?
Old 8/16/11, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
f
IMO the MTL is a little thinner than the QS and the MT-90 is a little thicker than the QS, but aren't we trying to help cold(er) shifting effort anyway?
Umm... yup.

I mentioned this other places, and I'll do it here too. I have MTL in my car, it's working great. I'm not changing it unless I have some issue from it. If it shifts better how is that a bad think exactly? Thicker fluid won't help the cold shifts either.
Old 8/16/11, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
Umm... yup.

I mentioned this other places, and I'll do it here too. I have MTL in my car, it's working great. I'm not changing it unless I have some issue from it. If it shifts better how is that a bad think exactly? Thicker fluid won't help the cold shifts either.
Sam,
I trust your input over Ford's any day. It's obvious Ford didn't do their homework on this crap transmission or they wouldn't be having all this stuff backfiring in their face.

You've actually "field tested" the MTL and are having no problems. I've had my MTL that I ordered from you in my car for 5 days now and love it.
Old 8/16/11, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Umm... yup.

I have MTL in my car, it's working great. I'm not changing it unless I have some issue from it.
Totally agree and doing the same. My car has never shifted that great since doing the change to MTL.
Old 8/16/11, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montreal ponies

Totally agree and doing the same. My car has never shifted that great since doing the change to MTL.
+1
Old 10/15/11, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So now that it's getting cooler out, how is everyone doing with the MTL? The last 2 days its been 60 out and dipping into low 50's at night here in IL. I've noticed shifting is not as smooth as when it was hot out. What's your reviews?
Old 10/15/11, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey John,

Haven't changed mine yet at 6500. Are you getting notchiness cold, or after 15 miles of driving or so to warm things up? Mine is not perfect the first time I drive it down the street, but after the 25 miles of freeway to work it's perfect. It's actually awesome with even less warm up but that's my commute... I have some fluid that's called out in my owners manual and I'll probably go with that for now, but Red Line makes nice stuff. First time I've actually looked forward to my warranty expiring!

Nice car BTW!
Old 10/15/11, 07:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

What's weird is it doesn't seem to be better or worse no matter how much I drive. My notchiness went away with the MTL but is now back worse than before. MTL went in @ 2k and I just rolled over 6k today. I was thinking it has to be the cool weather. I almost have to hold the clutch an extra second to avoid the crunch into 2 and 3 sometimes. The rest of the gears are just notchy. Today I took it for a nice cruise hoping it just needed to warm up, but it stayed consistent the whole cruise. While doing a little spirited driving it actually crunched hard a couple times....which I've never experienced before with this car. I really hope my MT82 isn't catching the plague...
Old 10/15/11, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Umm... yup.

I think that is great,,,however, with that said, I chose to replace the fluid IAW the TSB, simply for warranty purposes. If the transmission fails, there is no way I can be accused of causing the failure by using fluid not approved by Ford. I have 7/100 exteded warranty, so I am being conservative.

Now, the fluid has been in the transmission since Tuesday. I took the car into the hills and put 135 miles on it, shifting through all the gears multiple times as the roads have a lot of curves and switchbacks. I experienced no problems with shifting. Very smooth in all gears.

My reason for replacing the fluid was cold start driving. The temperatures have been in the high 30's and low 40's at night. The hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, when cold, is gone. No more 2nd gear starts or double clutching.

Several trips, of 40 miles or more on the Interstate at 75, have produced no noise or whine from the transmission.

The big test will come when the temp drops to below zero and lower for extended periods of time.
Old 10/15/11, 10:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine is still shifting great, even with the wheather dropping down as low as 45-50 degrees. Hope it will stay that way, will be winter storing the car in about a month or so, so i won't be able to report after that . Also have to mention that i'm running the Steeda Tri-ax shifter and tranny mount.
Old 10/16/11, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Mine is still shifting great, even with the wheather dropping down as low as 45-50 degrees. Hope it will stay that way, will be winter storing the car in about a month or so, so i won't be able to report after that . Also have to mention that i'm running the Steeda Tri-ax shifter and tranny mount.
Same here, once the salt comes she'll be put away. I thought you sent your shifter back?
Old 10/16/11, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hytek
Same here, once the salt comes she'll be put away. I thought you sent your shifter back?
I did sent it back to Gus, they did some tests on numerous different cars with my shifter and found something to be wrong with it. So they sent it back to engenieering and found the problem. Something about clearances, so now all is fine with the new one they sent me. I must add that Gus and the folks at Steeda were top notch at resolving this issue. Very professionnal. Thx