Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Redline MTL Swap & the Mystery Stock Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/11, 06:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flySWA737
That combination should practically remove the clunky 1-2 shift. The only thing that was originally worrying me was I was feeling a rough bite of the gears when transitioning to second which kept making me cringe. Its now pretty much gone. It does take some time for the Redline MTL to work into the synchros to begin helping but it does feel like it's improving over time. I think I can wait for the MGW shifter now. Hopefully you experience the same success I got!
What weight MTL did you use?
Old 8/7/11, 07:10 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by generalee31184
What weight MTL did you use?
There's only one weight of MTL.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7
Old 8/7/11, 04:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

That combination should practically remove the clunky 1-2 shift. The only thing that was originally worrying me was I was feeling a rough bite of the gears when transitioning to second which kept making me cringe. Its now pretty much gone. It does take some time for the Redline MTL to work into the synchros to begin helping but it does feel like it's improving over time. I think I can wait for the MGW shifter now. Hopefully you experience the same success I got!
Hope you're right, cuz this guy from AFM sure doesn't believe so ! But i'm doing it anyway's !

quote:

Originally Posted by SleeperJoe
OK.. been a while since last post.
6500 miles on the car with usual notchiness, clunking going into 2nd. Left turns always clunks into 2nd. Sometimes difficult to find 1st but I never force. Much better in summer.... dread the coming cold months ahead. Since FORD is not going to do a **** thing until someone gets killed I am leaning to go with Redline MTL and replacing the sorry shift bracket with one of the aftermarket ones (Urethane please) and while under the car, yank the cheesy skip shift connector. (Of course does nothing to clean up the shifting issue, just gets rid of it). Other than that looking at trading to a Hyundai (don't laugh) Genesis 5.0 Spec R. Getting older and need the comforts and convenience of 4doors and luxury. Local dealer does not have one yet.....

I've got Redline MTL in there now. Expect much of the same as what you're currently experiencing... I just hope in the cold the MTL has a positive effect.
Old 8/7/11, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Hope you're right, cuz this guy from AFM sure doesn't believe so ! But i'm doing it anyway's !

quote:

Originally Posted by SleeperJoe
OK.. been a while since last post.
6500 miles on the car with usual notchiness, clunking going into 2nd. Left turns always clunks into 2nd. Sometimes difficult to find 1st but I never force. Much better in summer.... dread the coming cold months ahead. Since FORD is not going to do a **** thing until someone gets killed I am leaning to go with Redline MTL and replacing the sorry shift bracket with one of the aftermarket ones (Urethane please) and while under the car, yank the cheesy skip shift connector. (Of course does nothing to clean up the shifting issue, just gets rid of it). Other than that looking at trading to a Hyundai (don't laugh) Genesis 5.0 Spec R. Getting older and need the comforts and convenience of 4doors and luxury. Local dealer does not have one yet.....

I've got Redline MTL in there now. Expect much of the same as what you're currently experiencing... I just hope in the cold the MTL has a positive effect.
Thats interesting. OAC_Sparky on the same site had the same experience as me.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2678194

I changed mine today. I wasn't having any issues except an occasional nibble (never a grind) on the 1-2 shift; now it shifts as smooth as the MTX-75 in my Focus ST, which I consider one of the best-shifting manuals I've had.
Old 8/7/11, 05:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah i know, i've read his response as well, i'll comment later on down the road as i start putting more miles on her with the MTL fluid. Is yours still shifting smoothly !
Old 8/7/11, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah i know, i've read his response as well, i'll comment later on down the road as i start putting more miles on her with the MTL fluid. Is yours still shifting smoothly !
Still is. Feels so much better. Definitely let us know how it works out. I hope that fluid that originally was in there was not causing any damage. Could explain why some people who changed fluids with higher amounts of miles don't show the same results.
Old 8/7/11, 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Still is. Feels so much better. Definitely let us know how it works out. I hope that fluid that originally was in there was not causing any damage. Could explain why some people who changed fluids with higher amounts of miles don't show the same results.
Might be indeed. Mine only has 870 miles. Not much i know, i only drive it ocasionnaly when i have time.....wish i had more time on my hands. Summers are short around here, car is stored 5 months a year, that's real torture if you ask me. But hey, you can't have it all.
Old 8/7/11, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Might be indeed. Mine only has 870 miles. Not much i know, i only drive it ocasionnaly when i have time.....wish i had more time on my hands. Summers are short around here, car is stored 5 months a year, that's real torture if you ask me. But hey, you can't have it all.

Haha true there. My car has become my daily driver for now but I carpool occasionally when I can, but she gets the garage.
Old 8/7/11, 05:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My feeling about some of the people experiencing "problems" with their MT82 cars is psychosomatic, they've heard so much of this negativity about it that they feel like they are having problems when they really are not.
Old 8/7/11, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
My feeling about some of the people experiencing "problems" with their MT82 cars is psychosomatic, they've heard so much of this negativity about it that they feel like they are having problems when they really are not.
Agreed. I think it affected me at first as well but now I just put all that talk asside and turn the music up and all of a sudden the problems are gone. I'm definitely starting to believe that some of the problems out there are all in peoples heads.
Old 8/7/11, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Not in my case anyway's ! My friend who happens to live just 2 blocks away is experiencing the exact same problems, but his has more severe problems when shifting into second, he his being denied second gear from time to time.
I drove his car the other day, and it felt just like mine. Don't get me wrong here, car is great and love everything about it, well almost !!!
Old 8/7/11, 10:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't really have any issues but I'm doing this swap next weekend just to be safe.
Old 8/8/11, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I stock MTL, and it's here ready to ship. I keep it specifically for the MT82 and use it as part of the kit I also sell that has a shifter and shift bushing too.

I run it in my car. I'm not Jegs or some other big-box store.... but I'm here, I own a 5.0, and run the **** out of it. And there's that supporting vendor thing I'd hope is worth a little something.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...203&ModelID=35
Old 8/8/11, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
I stock MTL, and it's here ready to ship. I keep it specifically for the MT82 and use it as part of the kit I also sell that has a shifter and shift bushing too.

I run it in my car. I'm not Jegs or some other big-box store.... but I'm here, I own a 5.0, and run the **** out of it. And there's that supporting vendor thing I'd hope is worth a little something.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...203&ModelID=35
Which is why I just ordered 3 qts of MTL from YOU 5 minutes ago.
Old 8/8/11, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fake
Which is why I just ordered 3 qts of MTL from YOU 5 minutes ago.
Haha good to hear.

Originally Posted by sam strano
I almost ordered from you guys but my dad had was getting some stuff from jegs already so he picked up the tab for me. I'll probably hit up your guys store for the bushing and my recurring MTL changes.
Old 8/8/11, 02:10 PM

I'm thinking about doing this but, would swapping to a non-Ford fluid potentially cause Ford to deny a warranty claim if something would happen?
Old 8/8/11, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shane_atv
I'm thinking about doing this but, would swapping to a non-Ford fluid potentially cause Ford to deny a warranty claim if something would happen?
NO, It meets ford's specs.
Old 8/8/11, 02:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thx for the offer Sam, my local car parts store always has this stuff in stock, so i got the last 3 quarts of MTL they had ( they have to restock for Honda's now ) and if all goes as planned will be doing the the swap tonight . First time i'll ever try my new race ramps.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 8/8/11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Thx for the offer Sam, my local car parts store always has this stuff in stock, so i got the last 3 quarts of MTL they had ( they have to restock for Honda's now ) and if all goes as planned will be doing the the swap tonight . First time i'll ever try my new race ramps.
I definitely need to get myself a pair of ramps. Don't really like using jack stands to hold the car up. Gives me the creeps when I'm under there.
Old 8/9/11, 10:16 AM
V6 Member

FCP has Redline MTL for $10.99 per quart.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...nm/Redline+MTL

Quick Reply: Redline MTL Swap & the Mystery Stock Fluid