Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Reasons you bought a late S197 instead of an S550?

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/14, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a big concern of mine when shopping for my mustang in late October back in November. It came down to a few simple points.
  1. I would never buy a first year model of anything when the changes are that drastic.
  2. As with all new anticipated cars, it would be extremely hard to find a good deal(especially the one I got at $8k~under sticker), dealers will be more than likely marking them up.
  3. The aftermarket will not be as extremely large in the beginning. Right now, the aftermarket is so large, you can really do what you want. And as there is a lot of options, the price points are lower than if it were just a few companies offering the same thing.
  4. It would be cool at first, to be the new kid on the block with the latest car, but then, after that, in a few years when the new engine updates come out, it would suck(I owned an 07, and I hated when the 5.0 got updated and my car was left in the dust). There will be some big engine improvement, and it will be a jump up from the current Coyote 302.
  5. If I was going to spend the amount of money that dealers will probably be asking for them, I would get a different car. More than likely I would start looking at 1LE Camaros or Corvettes.

That's pretty much what it boils down to. I'd rather keep the money, and make my car where I want it to be, and make it unique than having a better base car.
Old 3/23/14, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid axle setup/chassis that is tweaked to perfection. As good as it's going to get in a factory vehicle anyway.
Old 3/23/14, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
The '15 is- by Ford's own statements- intended to be a "world car." Well, the world can have it, I'll keep my '14 for a while thank you very much!
More precisely, it was said in some media statements that it was an American car going to the world.

"If it sounds as if the Blue Oval fobbed off the Mustang’s development to the same continental team that did the Focus and Fiesta, rest assured this is not the case. When asked what kind of involvement Europe had, chief engineer Dave Pericak answers immediately: “None.” Well, almost none. The exterior design was sketched by a European, Kemal Curic, who grew up in Croatia and now works in Dearborn. Regardless, the Mustang is still the raw, red meat of Midwestern ambition."
Old 3/23/14, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I was completely intent on purchasing a '15 in the same color combo as my '65 (to have matching cars 50 years apart). I purchased the '65 as a restoration project in Feb 2011, and told my wife on the drive home I would be keeping my (then current) BMW until the 2015 came out...

Then I started to see the renderings of where Ford was going with the Mustang... They were just speculation, but when I saw the Fusion front end start to appear on all the renderings, I started having doubts.

Finally, a Ford exec was quoted as saying they were definitely going away from the retro theme with the new Mustang (along with increased rumors that the butt-ugly Fusion front end was going to be a feature of the new design). I started visiting the Ford site that very day deciding how I was going to build my '14.

I finally decided on what options I wanted (pretty much all of them ) by April '13, and had to place a factory order (glass roof + red interior = nothing in stock). On 21 May I took delivery of my '14 GT (just wish Ford had a medium silver like my Silver Smoke '65).

When the final pics of the actual '15 were released, my wife said "You made a good decision." The S550 (in its '15 form) is just bleagh in my opinion. The rear end is pretty nice, and I actually like the sweep of the fastback better, but from the windshield forward the car is a total and complete sell-out. As for IRS, big whoop... all of the professional drivers who have reviewed the Mustang the last few years have commented on how well Ford has massaged the solid axle in the S-197 (and now that I've swapped the springs and LCAs out for stiffer components, this car handles as well as I'll ever need it to).

The '14 is a drop dead gorgeous car that screams "American Muscle-Car." The '15 is- by Ford's own statements- intended to be a "world car." Well, the world can have it, I'll keep my '14 for a while thank you very much!
1st, your car looks awesome!!!

2nd,
I could not have said it better myself!!

3rd,
Where did you get the stripes running down the side. (Love the boss look)

Where you have the "GT" I want to have " 302" and remove the factory 5.0 emblem. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 3/23/14, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks and Price!
I just got my 2014(special order) 300a package, track pack, and recaro seats for $30K after rebates ( before taxes) you won't be able to touch a 2015 with similar package for probably under $40K for at least a year from now!
Plus I really liked the retro styling of the 2014, especially because I love first and second generation mustangs! ( I have a 1965 fastback as well)
That was my reasoning!
Attached Thumbnails Reasons you bought a late S197 instead of an S550?-image.jpg  
Old 3/23/14, 04:27 PM
GT Member

I almost bought a '13 when they debuted in 2012 but didn't. The same cheapskate side of me that bought a Civic Si instead reasoned a '15 wouldn't be a good deal for a while. I bought my 2014 GT w/ 300a and 3.73 ratio for $26k last month. I thought it was a great deal on an awesome car and didn't look back. And I really do love this generation of Mustang.
Old 3/23/14, 05:52 PM

I wasn't going to be able to afford a new one and was going to wait for the 2015's to hit and drop the prices on the used '13 and '14s BUT I found a ridiculously low mileage 2010 with a ton of mods and all the options I wanted for a good price and decided to get it. It's close enough to stock 5.0L power that I went that route instead of with a 5.0L. Added bonus it still has almost 2 years of powertrain left and all the mods were put on by Ford so warranty is still intact.

Also I had a '08 Bullitt since it was new and was having terrible withdrawals after I had to trade it about a year and a half ago. Definitely more fun going into summer already with the car instead of trying to buy one during the worst time of year to be buying.
Old 3/23/14, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where you have the "GT" I want to have " 302" and remove the factory 5.0 emblem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the comments! I purchased the stripes (and had them installed) at Big Worm Graphix (www.bigwormgraphix.com), which happens to be relatively close by in Ft. Worth. The hood stripe, side stripes, and black "5.0" emblems were around $260 installed, and I've been really happy with them. You can definitely order the "302" at the top of the hockey stripe (I was going to go with "S-197" for the top of mine, but chickened out at the last minute ).
Old 3/23/14, 08:39 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,098 Likes on 797 Posts
Last summer I had heard of Ford's plan to leave the retro look Mustang for a more modern world car look. I wanted something like the 2010-2014 style, reminded me of my 67 fastback. Took a leap that the 2015 was going to be a disappointment, and bought my 2014. Very glad I did. Love the 2014 look. 2015 is ok, but in my mind not as good looking as what I have now. Don't mind the backend of the 2015, but like was said earlier from the windshield forward I think they could have done better. Still waiting to see one in person. I think the S550 will eventually grow on me, but right now I think I have the best car for me.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/23/14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 3/23/14, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I bought my '14 GT Track Pack factory-ordered last summer. I guess I wanted a Mustang not a Fusion GT Coupe.
Old 3/23/14, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I bought my '14 GT Track Pack factory-ordered last summer. I guess I wanted a Mustang not a Fusion GT Coupe.
my thoughts as well!
Old 3/23/14, 09:31 PM
Banned

Even though I think this thread is kinda stupid (seeing that the next gen isn't on the streets, and won't be for many months, and even then most people won't be able to get one due to demand and initial dealer markups)

It was simple. I wanted a 2013 Mustang and the 2015 was some time off and didn't exist.

If I were to be buying tomorrow, it would be the same, the new one doesn't exist yet.
Old 3/23/14, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Even though I think this thread is kinda stupid (seeing that the next gen isn't on the streets, and won't be for many months, and even then most people won't be able to get one due to demand and initial dealer markups)

It was simple. I wanted a 2013 Mustang and the 2015 was some time off and didn't exist.

If I were to be buying tomorrow, it would be the same, the new one doesn't exist yet.
most people buying arent in a need-to-buy-today situation, so waiting 6 months is plenty doable for many of us if we want.
Old 3/23/14, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by puma1552
most people buying arent in a need-to-buy-today situation, so waiting 6 months is plenty doable for many of us if we want.
i understand, I bought my car too, ya know? But it's like if a car is still dust, this thread is kinda pointless.
Old 3/23/14, 10:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper

I think the 2015 is ugly but I don't care because I know the performance will make up for that.
Now that's funny stuff. A very interesting perspective!

Name:  IMG_11324411193716.jpeg
Views: 1213
Size:  4.8 KB
Old 3/23/14, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S197 model. This really sums it up why S197!

Name:  ForumRunner_20140324_003906.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  17.2 KB
Old 3/24/14, 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Right on.
Old 3/24/14, 01:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
S197 model. This really sums it up why S197!

Attachment 155159
That's funny.

Like I said in other posts. I'll never be a hater............it's a Mustang however I am one of those that could wait and decided to special order a 14'. That is my choice. There were a few deciding factors for me. Color for one. I really like the GHIG. Styling was second. The 14' appears more like a 69-70 Mach and that is what I grew up idolizing. And like I said in the past. I am a huge thunderbird enthusiast and even though I see value in IRS, a live axle really is best for drag racing.

I see the kind of money that needs to be spent on IRS to strengthen axles, prevent wheel hop, etc. and it isn't pretty. A good pair of axles that will stand the test of time can run $2k for a pair. Just look at what the terminator cobra people have dealt with over the years. I know technology has come a long way in IRS and axle technology but the failures occur due to material fatigue and that can only be remedied with high strength steels and CV joints that cost lots of money.

Again I'll take my solid any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 3/24/14, 04:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
i understand, I bought my car too, ya know? But it's like if a car is still dust, this thread is kinda pointless.
Then why are you trolling this thread? Move on please.
Old 3/24/14, 05:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the comments! I purchased the stripes (and had them installed) at Big Worm Graphix (www.bigwormgraphix.com), which happens to be relatively close by in Ft. Worth. The hood stripe, side stripes, and black "5.0" emblems were around $260 installed, and I've been really happy with them. You can definitely order the "302" at the top of the hockey stripe (I was going to go with "S-197" for the top of mine, but chickened out at the last minute ).
Thx for the info. Ill give them a call this week.

Quick Reply: Reasons you bought a late S197 instead of an S550?