Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

REAR SWAY BAR. I need bushings and I think Ford screamed me?

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/18, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REAR SWAY BAR. I need bushings and I think Ford screamed me?

We have a 2012 Convertible V6. The traditional rear end 'BANG' started. Car only has 38,000 km's on it and never seen a winter. (NOT IMPRESSED FORD)

Anyway, I started searching the topic and realized it's a major problem with 2012 so I phoned Ford and of course.. "SORRY SIR, IT'S NOT COVERED. CAR IS OVER 3 YEARS OLD"... ya whatever.

Anyway.. Upon reading lots of sites, it says the PONY PACKAGE HAS A 24MM SWAY BAR and the BASE MODEL HAS A 22MM sway bar.

We have the Pony package.......but ..... When I checked the sway bar it's a 22mm

I phoned the dealer to ask them to check the build sheet. The had no information and referred me to Ford Customer Care.... guess what? They don't know either.

Sounds like Ford may have screwed us on the assembly line with a 22mm sway bar instead of a 24mm and nobody can give me an answer.

ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FINE URATHANE BUSHINGS FOR A 22MM SWAY BAR ON THE REAR???? CAN ONLY FIND A 24MM BUSHING KIT.

Here is one of many links that explains sway bar size
https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Sway-Bar-Size-Guide
Old 5/31/18, 05:13 PM

That topic line should read

"FORD SCREWED ME" ... NOT "SCREAMED" ..... wtf?
Old 5/31/18, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by csrMark
We have a 2012 Convertible V6. The traditional rear end 'BANG' started. Car only has 38,000 km's on it and never seen a winter. (NOT IMPRESSED FORD)

Anyway, I started searching the topic and realized it's a major problem with 2012 so I phoned Ford and of course.. "SORRY SIR, IT'S NOT COVERED. CAR IS OVER 3 YEARS OLD"... ya whatever.

Anyway.. Upon reading lots of sites, it says the PONY PACKAGE HAS A 24MM SWAY BAR and the BASE MODEL HAS A 22MM sway bar.

We have the Pony package.......but ..... When I checked the sway bar it's a 22mm

I phoned the dealer to ask them to check the build sheet. The had no information and referred me to Ford Customer Care.... guess what? They don't know either.

Sounds like Ford may have screwed us on the assembly line with a 22mm sway bar instead of a 24mm and nobody can give me an answer.

ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FINE URATHANE BUSHINGS FOR A 22MM SWAY BAR ON THE REAR???? CAN ONLY FIND A 24MM BUSHING KIT.

Here is one of many links that explains sway bar size
https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Sway-Bar-Size-Guide

Old 5/31/18, 06:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
When my rear sway bar end links started clunking, I ended up with Steeda's end links with urethane bushings. I originally went to Ford, but after getting me the wrong size twice, I gave up.
Old 5/31/18, 08:10 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
When mine started clunking I took the opportunity to upgrade and bought the Steeda competition adjustable sway bar and end links. Steeda offers different size urethane bushings with their end links. you just need to tell them the sway bar diameter. You can measure the sway bar diameter with a micrometer or caliper.
Old 6/1/18, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
A dealership has a way to look up all the equipment a VIN was built with.
You probably talked with someone not aware of it.
If they can run an OASIS report, I believe it was a link on that report that shows all the options and standard equipment the car was built with.
It's been a while since I ran one, I stopped being a Service Advisor in 2012, but I know it definitely was an option.

Old 6/1/18, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
http://www.etis.ford.com/ go Put in your VIN and it will tell you everything.
Old 6/1/18, 06:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
A dealership has a way to look up all the equipment a VIN was built with.
You probably talked with someone not aware of it.
If they can run an OASIS report, I believe it was a link on that report that shows all the options and standard equipment the car was built with.
It's been a while since I ran one, I stopped being a Service Advisor in 2012, but I know it definitely was an option.

The dealership did that...still got me the wrong part. The factory sway bar still had the sticker on it, with the diameter so I have them that information along with having one of the old endlinks to show them. Still got wrong part. One call to Steeda with the sway bar size got me parts that fit. I returned the wrong parts to Ford for a refund.