Sponsored By:

Rear End Whine

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/17, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
get a louder exhaust!
I used to think that masking is a silly way to solve the problem but it might actually do wonders in this case to some extent. My Boss side pipes are doing a great job at it or the whine went away by itself. The noise wasn't as severe to begin with on mine though.

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Any chance that the lowering changed your pinion angle enough to cause whine?
It's most certainly a possibility. Sort of a trade offs I guess. Get the car lowered in exchange of added noise... although mine isn't all that slammed by any means. Something caused it to be amplified.
Old 4/12/17, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
get a louder exhaust!
I have long tubes with Solo Performance catback and high flow cats. But the setup has zero drone on the freeway so the exhaust is dead silent at the speeds that the whine drowns it out. I also used to always do very high end audio builds in my cars - 3 years later and I haven't done this car because the whine drowns out the radio at anything less than 75% volume.

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Any chance that the lowering changed your pinion angle enough to cause whine?
At one point I had BMR adjustable UCA, adjustable LCAs and adjustable PHB. My suspension guy had it all dialed in to BMR's specs. The noise was so bad, partly to blame in the spherical bushings of the UCA and LCAs. I went back to BMR non adjustable UCA and LCAs to see if it would be quieter. The noise dropped about 20% but still way louder than it should be...however the rpm range changed. It moved up to about 75-80 being the worst, so it's a little better for me now because I never drive that fast anymore. Still, I hope this rear end specialty shop can make it so there's no whine because in my research I have come across people with the TP who claim they have zero whine. Like I said, he also claims he's put everything in Ford 8.8s with zero whine after, even up to 4.30s. I'm hoping his expertise, coupled with new Redline fluid in the trans and rear end, will get rid of this once and for all for me!
Old 4/12/17, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a track pack car with the 3.73 gears 20,000 miles so far and very little noise from the rear end.
I have the BMR upper and lower mounts and arms (bushings). before I put those in I had no noise from the axle.
Sounds like Im just one of the lucky ones!
Old 4/12/17, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I have a track pack car with the 3.73 gears 20,000 miles so far and very little noise from the rear end.
I have the BMR upper and lower mounts and arms (bushings). before I put those in I had no noise from the axle.
Sounds like Im just one of the lucky ones!
See? I refuse to believe "that's just how it is." I forgot I also have the BMR Relo brackets too.
Old 4/14/17, 04:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was listening for it again and I think my issue may not be the rear whine like you guys but something else. It's more of a "squeaking" noise that sounds a little bit like birds chirping lol. Doesn't vary with engine rpm but it does with vehicle speed. It sounds like something needs to be oiled up. Can't hear it above the exhaust most of the time. But it is noticeable with the windows down 0-20 mph
Old 4/14/17, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I was listening for it again and I think my issue may not be the rear whine like you guys but something else. It's more of a "squeaking" noise that sounds a little bit like birds chirping lol. Doesn't vary with engine rpm but it does with vehicle speed. It sounds like something needs to be oiled up. Can't hear it above the exhaust most of the time. But it is noticeable with the windows down 0-20 mph
Could it just be a rear anti-rattle clips? Mine were squaking at one side. I noticed it while turning right at low speeds. I too k the caliper off and bent it back to normal. No more squeeks!
Old 4/15/17, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well boys and girls, my rear end whine is 98% gone. So there you have it. Do NOT accept "this is normal" from your dealer. After the tear down, everything was out of spec/alignment. I have to go back to pick the car up with the invoice that has the measurements of before and after. This is costing me $1200. In going to try to fight Ford to get reimbursed since their 2 rebuilds were atrocious.

Now I said 98%...there's still a faint whine between 75-80, but it is SO faint that I can barely hear it with music on. Otherwise it's quiet at every other speed. I also had the trans and rear end filled up with whatever Redline fluid he recommended. The car drives like a DREAM now. Finally!!!!
Old 4/15/17, 07:15 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Could it just be a rear anti-rattle clips? Mine were squaking at one side. I noticed it while turning right at low speeds. I too k the caliper off and bent it back to normal. No more squeeks!
I'm not familiar with that part but what you describe sounds like it fits my situation!

I'm gonna look into it, thanks
Originally Posted by laserred38
Well boys and girls, my rear end whine is 98% gone. So there you have it. Do NOT accept "this is normal" from your dealer. After the tear down, everything was out of spec/alignment. I have to go back to pick the car up with the invoice that has the measurements of before and after. This is costing me $1200. In going to try to fight Ford to get reimbursed since their 2 rebuilds were atrocious.

Now I said 98%...there's still a faint whine between 75-80, but it is SO faint that I can barely hear it with music on. Otherwise it's quiet at every other speed. I also had the trans and rear end filled up with whatever Redline fluid he recommended. The car drives like a DREAM now. Finally!!!!
Congrats Patrick!!
Old 4/15/17, 07:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

makes me wonder if its related to this noise i hear sometimes when I release the brakes. Its a creaking noise like you're stepping on an old wooden floor lol
Old 4/15/17, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Check your driveshaft u joints
Old 4/18/17, 04:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
Check your driveshaft u joints
Thank you sir I will check this too
Old 4/20/17, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end whine on 14 GT 3.73 gear

Originally Posted by laserred38

Hey man I've got a rear end whine issue as well that I've lost a battle with the dealer on. Can you help me better understand what all you had done to your car or rear axle to help eliminate the whine? Was it a new set of gears or just filling it with a special redline fluid? I also ask because I'm going to try and do the work myself so all the info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GTSPE4
Old 4/20/17, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GTSPE4
Hey man I've got a rear end whine issue as well that I've lost a battle with the dealer on. Can you help me better understand what all you had done to your car or rear axle to help eliminate the whine? Was it a new set of gears or just filling it with a special redline fluid? I also ask because I'm going to try and do the work myself so all the info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GTSPE4
Sure, I need to look at my paperwork to get the measurements but basically, a new ring and pinion set and just having the backlash, pinion depth and alignment of the gear/pinion shimmed correctly. The dealer had the backlash set to 0, no shims on the ring gear and the pinion depth was so shallow that the contact between the pinion and ring gear was just the outer edge of the gear teeth. We were shocked it didn't grind down the pinion and ring gear, but then again I haven't driven it much since the second rebuild.
Old 4/21/17, 03:37 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
A friend of mine bought a used '14 GT with 3.55 gears with around 30,000 miles on it. He asked me to drive it since I have a '14 GT with 3.31's that I bought new. His car definitely had a noticeable whine. Mine has always been fairly quiet, but I put aftermarket lower control arms with poly bushings on it this winter in order to get rid of the wheel hop common to these cars under hard acceleration. I had previously installed an adjustable panhard rod with poly bushings in order to center the rear axle. The panhard rod didn't have an noticeable effect on noise, but the control arms did result in some increase in bearing noise and it also intensified the clunk that is often commented on with the two piece driveshaft. My car has never been lowered, but it does sit about an inch lower than another friends track pack car and that's with the same size tires and wheels. In any case I did get rid of the wheel hop and the increase in sound transmission from the poly bushings is relatively minor.